Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

quintana76 wrote: »
    He has being doing that for years. Always takes the feminist side no matter how extreme. Always dismisses all male views on the subject as if they have no validity or right to speak. Think he genuinely believes in the "intersectionality" bulls***. If so, a very sad demonstration of a desperation to be seen to be trendy in certain circles despite his relatively mature age.
    Rather than being driven by a series of alt right/ mens rights talking points his feminism and misandry is clearly driven by the fact that he has three or four daughters and no sons and some of these must now be teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Rather than being driven by a series of alt right/ mens rights talking points his feminism and misandry is clearly driven by the fact that he has three or four daughters and no sons and some of these must now be teenagers.

No different to George Hook then by your definition. Same attitude expressed in a very different way. One right on and the other grandfatherly. Pays to be right on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Except he does have a son. A fact he's mentioned on the show many times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ha, that was funny. A smart arsed Sean and a snippy barista brought together by poor research.
    That must've been the shortest interview he's had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

humberklog wrote: »
    Ha, that was funny. A smart arsed Sean and a snippy barista brought together by poor research.
    That must've been the shortest interview he's had.

i didn't see much difference in poncing about coffee and poncing about wine, which will be done soon. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pity Sean always has to sneer at people he doesnt agree with.

Two different people just text in basically saying that criminals have a relatively easy time in prison - Sean put on that stupid, sneering, sarcastic voice to try make him look right and the texters look foolish.

That and his need to ALWAYS side with the feminist POV are the biggest turn-offs on his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

BPKS wrote: »
    Pity Sean always has to sneer at people he doesnt agree with.

Two different people just text in basically saying that criminals have a relatively easy time in prison - Sean put on that stupid, sneering, sarcastic voice to try make him look right and the texters look foolish.

That and his need to ALWAYS side with the feminist POV are the biggest turn-offs on his show.

He actually came out about people being sexist against men today when people were giving out about fat men in warm weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Very sad news, David Carey has passed away. Such a lovely, knowledgeable man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah No, used to love listening to him such a nice man with a lovey voice Rip David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭8mv

Just stumbled across this thread by accident. That's very sad news - even though my kids are grown and I had no need of his professional advice, I always listened in when he was on - lovely man and full of common sense and empathy.

I know, makes me feel very sad that I'll never hear his lovely voice and sage advice again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

First Paolo, now David. Someone needs to keep Mairead Lavery safe or the show is fuc%ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

that's very sad news. he was an incredibly wise man who made so much sense. i don't have kids but he was still the kind of person that would make you want to have them, because he made it sound so straight forward.

when i hear the other psychologists on, i spend most of the time thinking that David Carey would've had this question answered in 2 sentences and you know he's right, rather than them faffing about. i know they all have their own opinions on how things are done, but his just seemed the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This David Carey?

https://www.davidjcarey.com/bio.html

Yes. He was a regular guest on the parenting slot on the moncrief show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Here's an old article about him https://m.herald.ie/lifestyle/i-found-love-again-seven-years-ago-and-have-a-wonderful-partner-im-as-happy-as-can-be-29445859.html

I'm saddened to hear this awful news too. Like with the late Paolo Tullio, one of the joys of David's radio slots was when he started telling little anecdotes about what he'd been up to or about his own family. It didn't matter if you have kids in that age bracket or not. He helped make the feature into good radio. The replacements are capable but a bit dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Very sad news. I loved listening to him even though I have no kids. He came across as a real rock of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Did Sean talk about it yesterday? Didn’t see anything on his twitter about it or he didn’t mention it at the start of the show today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did Sean talk about it yesterday? Didn’t see anything on his twitter about it or he didn’t mention it at the start of the show today.

Talking about it today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sean sounded emotional talking about him there, no parenting slot next week, going to be a tribute to him.

Liked that clip they played of him 'You'll never be the best parent ever, just do the best you can' so simple but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

Sad news RIP david carey ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was a big shock for me. I enjoyed listening to him on Sean's show whenever I could listen to the radio.
    He seemed like a lovely man.

RIP.

I've just listened to the little David Carey piece on podcast. It was lovely to hear his voice again but also sad of course. Sean said they'll be rebroadcasting an extended interview he did with him a few Christmases ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whereabouts in the States was David from?

I could never pin point it from his accent.

Waterbury, Connecticut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

RIP David Carey. A man with a fascinating life, who never made himself the focus. As others have said, a real bastion of just common decent, sense. A man who recognised the truth about parenting; it isn't easy, kids will be kids, and it isn't something to be approached with surgical gloves or reduced to some algorithmic protocol for success.

He had a great voice for radio. He had humour. He had a caring touch couched in a paternal surety. I have missed him and will continue to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I’ll really miss him on the slot. He gave such excellent advise. Can anyone remember how the magic sentence went? RIP David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I have no kids myself but I always felt that his advice was measured and knowledgeable, his voice was incredibly calming too. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Cerocco wrote: »
    I’ll really miss him on the slot. He gave such excellent advise. Can anyone remember how the magic sentence went? RIP David

Something like:
    "I'm surprised you can't do that as other children your age can do it."

Advertisement