Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,816 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In fairness he sounded quite senior when he did that slot, he had a stroke this time 10 years ago, they effectively retired that slot straight away, always enjoyed it, the show could use a slot like it instead of that how to be an adult nonsense.

I don't mind the HTBAA slot.

It's done in a comedic way. Best advice generally comes from a texter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It's done in a comedic way.

Is it though? The pair come across to me like they have notions that they are in anyway qualified to dispense the advice they provide.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The ending was hilarious today, when Ivan mentioned a survey saying people would work harder if they had more workplace friendships, Sean said they're lazy and need a kick up the hole and wrapped up with 'this is a new right wing Moncrieff, namby pamby liberal Ivan Yates is up next'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

In fairness he sounded quite senior when he did that slot, he had a stroke this time 10 years ago, they effectively retired that slot straight away, always enjoyed it, the show could use a slot like it instead of that how to be an adult nonsense.

Who/which slot? Tulio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Professor Terry Dolan's "Meaning of Words" slot. He was always very interesting.

• Advertisement

That is a fantastic idea for a segment. I had never heard of it before, although I had heard in passing about Prof Terry Dolan and his love of literature.

There is a (surprisingly) huge interest in etymology, even among people who might not be particularly interested in literature.

Sorry to hear Terry Dolan has passed away, but I do hope the segment is reintroduced.

Was it Amanda Brunker on the adult slot today?

Head wrecked after listening to it. My god but I wouldn't like to be trying to have a rational argument with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Can Joe Donnelly replace him for good? Way better presenter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah heor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

NufcNavan wrote: »

A very good presenter, not better than Moncrieff imo,but a very solid presenter.

• Advertisement

Uncharted wrote: »
    A very good presenter, not better than Moncrieff imo,but a very solid presenter.

I thought the same when I heard him.

What other station has he been on? Definitely not first time in front of a microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What other station has he been on? Definitely not first time in front of a microphone.

I think he was Tom Dunne's producer and regular stand in when Dunne had a morning show...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Did loads of radio, was on phantom and txfm. Had drive time on txfm great chat and great music. Produced for Tom Dunne show too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Under no circumstances should Moncrieff be replaced, but that guy was very good. Very funny, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I'm only aware of me him on Phantom.

He's one that will do really well if given the right platform I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Donnelly was atrocious in Phantom.

He's an acquired taste. If you look back at old threads, you'll find people who like and dislike him in equal measures.

He's an acquired taste. If you look back at old threads, you'll find people who like and dislike him in equal measures.

Yeah. The internet in a nutshell.

Most media threads dominated by some saying how bad the show/presenter is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

NufcNavan wrote: »

If Moncrieff isn't fronting the show, I can take it or leave it. I usually switch off if it's Tom Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was it Amanda Brunker on the adult slot today?

Head wrecked after listening to it. My god but I wouldn't like to be trying to have a rational argument with her.

Heard her today. Bring back Barbara asap.

It's all me me me me me me meeeeeee.

She seems to have not got the memo that it's advice for other people she's meant to be giving.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Heard her today. Bring back Barbara asap.

It's all me me me me me me meeeeeee.

She seems to have not got the memo that it's advice for other people she's meant to be giving.

It's a light hearted slot, wouldn't be relying on it for guidance but, certainly last week, she got on my nerves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a light hearted slot, wouldn't be relying on it for guidance but, certainly last week, she got on my nerves!
    Oh agreed, but all she did was talk about herself today. At least Barbara makes some sort of a shape at giving a bit of (usually very sensible, IMO) advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Does no one just punch these seagulls in the face?

Does no one just punch these seagulls in the face?
    I quite like them, but there'd be great sport. In shooting them. I wonder how they taste.

My brother used have a magpie annoying the fcuk out of him every morning, in a tree outside his bedroom window. They have the most annoying, throttling call. So he went downstairs, got Dad's gun, back up to the room, swings open the window, and shot the bird.

Didn't take away the body either, magpies are repelled from areas where they see a dead compatriot. Maybe we should try hanging a few gulls from the College of Surgeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I quite like them, but there'd be great sport. In shooting them. I wonder how they taste.

My brother used have a magpie annoying the fcuk out of him every morning, in a tree outside his bedroom window. They have the most annoying, throttling call. So he went downstairs, got Dad's gun, back up to the room, swings open the window, and shot the bird.

Didn't take away the body either, magpies are repelled from areas where they see a dead compatriot. Maybe we should try hanging a few gulls from the College of Surgeons.

I hope he said 'Here's one for sorrow... bitch' before shooting the magpie for added epicness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

:(

I love magpies, and all crows.

And seagulls.

quickbeam wrote: »
    :(

I love magpies, and all crows.

And seagulls.
    I love pheasants but I also used to enjoy shooting them.

I was doing some research on the topic of eating seagulls, and anecdotes vary on whether or not they are tasty. Apparently their eggs are quite nice, they're more salty than hens' eggs, which enhances the flavour
    https://hashilthsa.com/news/2017-06-19/seagull-eggs-%E2%80%93-rare-june-treat-ahousaht

I would love to try a seagull, or its eggs, purely for a taste. After all, most gulls eat the same food we all do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd eat their eggs alright. But I'm a veggie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

If Moncrieff isn't fronting the show, I can take it or leave it. I usually switch off if it's Tom Dunne.

Tom is inoffensive and affable enough. You'd not want to be depending on him keeping you awake while you operated heavy machinery or carried out rocket surgery, though.

• Advertisement

Be glad they don't put Jonathan Healy or Henry McKean behind the microphone when Sean's away...

Advertisement