Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over active Dog (Still Pup only 18 Months old)

• 27-03-2014 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a question about my dog (she is a Staffie/Scottish Terrier mix). She is about 18 months old now so by all means still a pup. She isn't neutered at this point.

I am having two issues with her and hoping on some viewpoints.

1. She has very lively and gets extremely excited when meeting other people (juming all over them, running at full pace when off the lead etc) I know she is only looking for extra attention however she just wont stop looking regardless of how much you give her. As such I have to be very careful when kids are around as she has knocked a few over in the past)

We have been living in an apartment but now moving to a house with a large back garden so she will have lots of space to run around during the day and will sleep in doors at night.

2. I take the dog out for walks but she prefers to do her business in her cage when no one is around her. She will go outside but it seems that she prefers the comfort of her cage for this purpose.

What can I do to 1.calm her down and 2. Stop her from doing her business in her sleeping area? I am hoping the the free reign of a back yard will help, but need other suggestions.

I would appreciate any advice that people can give. Its getting very frustrating now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

1) Train her that she only gets attention from your friends etc. after she's sitting down at your side. Your need to tell your friends to completely ignore her (and if she continues to turn their back to her) until she's settled down at your side. Currently all you're doing is reinforcing that running over and jumping is a good thing (I get attention!). Start with out anyone over to train her to simply sit still at your side and work from there.

2) A back garden to "run around in" is not likely to solve anything; if anything it sounds it's back to toilet training 101. Bring her out after feeding etc. and praise her going while using a key word. Also make sure you clean her cage with an appropriate enzymatic or similar cleaner to remove the smell (you can't smell it but she can if you use a normal cleaner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

In addition to what Nody said... is the cage too big? Your dog should only be able to stand, turn around and lie on her side comfortably.

Also, while having a nice big area to run around is great, your dog will still get bored (no new smells and sights), never consider it a replacement for any walks. Also, consider getting (or even making) a flirt pole. It's a great little tool for getting energy out of a playful dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The_Outlaw

Thanks for the advice guys.. Appreciate it, I take her for a walk as often as I can but will need to spend more time on longer walks as she gets older.

The cage is about twice her size so she can go in one corner and sleep in another if she so chooses to do so.

I was wondering if getting her neutered will have an impact, also will a doggy companion keep her entertained whilst we are at work etc????

As Nody said I guess it's back to the drawing board with doggy potty training....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

The_Outlaw wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys.. Appreciate it, I take her for a walk as often as I can but will need to spend more time on longer walks as she gets older.

The cage is about twice her size so she can go in one corner and sleep in another if she so chooses to do so.

I was wondering if getting her neutered will have an impact, also will a doggy companion keep her entertained whilst we are at work etc????

As Nody said I guess it's back to the drawing board with doggy potty training....

Ok... Take this with a pinch of salt, it's not an 'attack', just some stern advice...

Do NOT get a second dog as a companion. As the owner of two, one of which was trained like you wouldn't believe, adding a second one is not a solution. If dog one isn't behaving, you're asking for trouble adding dog two.

Dogs thrive on routine. And a big yard is no substitute for walks, one to one training, and a 'regular timetable'.

Our 4 month old is just the best. BUT.... Christ the first month (9-12 weeks) was tough work. Especially the toilet and crate training. You just have to put in the hard yards - to reap the rewards.

Out every few hours. We used a 'go pee' command, lots of praise when he did the deed. Step and repeat.

Alarms set for 2.30, 5 and 7.30 am for the first month. Now I'm down to one alarm - 4am. Not one accident in his crate. Now, your 18 month old will hold it no probs - so it's all about training to go outside, more so than holding it.

Invest in a Kong if you haven't already. She will need stimulation if left alone for long periods (over 4 hours). I came home at 11am and 2pm for the first month, mostly my OH worked from home.

Once you get her toilet trained and happy in a crate, you're over half way there.

The last thing I want to do some mornings is drag my ass out of bed at 7am. BUT... Every day without fail... I'm up (mostly my OH comes with) and out with our two before work. Home at 2pm for one to one training, and out again at 5.30pm after work for walk number 2. Step and repeat. Every friggin' day.

Lastly, neutering is not a quick fix. I'd recommend it for responsible ownership, alright - just not a fix for curtailing energy. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Best of luck with her!

Advertisement