Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy pump next door

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

One option would be for the tenants to complain to the letting agent about the noise, and continue complaining. After a reasonable period, they can then give the letting agent notice that unless it is fixed in a reasonable time, they will be forced to pay for repairs themselves, and withhold it from the rent. You'd need a pretty friendly relationship with your neighbours to persuade them to take this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

seagull wrote: »
    One option would be for the tenants to complain to the letting agent about the noise, and continue complaining. After a reasonable period, they can then give the letting agent notice that unless it is fixed in a reasonable time, they will be forced to pay for repairs themselves, and withhold it from the rent. You'd need a pretty friendly relationship with your neighbours to persuade them to take this route.

If only they would, they are a couple with 2 kids so I don't think they would rock the boat with the landlord unfortunately.

Anyway, I have just sent another letter to the letting agent giving them 10 working days to sort it out or I would be seeking legal advice. Hopefully that might spur them into action

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I would see it as a case against the LL which you can do with the PRTB. He is failing to maintain his property and you certainly can bring a case based on that alone.

Thats my thinking as well. Its not an issue with the tenants, but rather with the landlord and their tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

alanc2003 wrote: »
    If only they would, they are a couple with 2 kids so I don't think they would rock the boat with the landlord unfortunately.

Anyway, I have just sent another letter to the letting agent giving them 10 working days to sort it out or I would be seeking legal advice. Hopefully that might spur them into action

Copy the Management Agent and Company. They can't wash their hands on this as there is noise coming from an apartment which is against their rules.

Have you been in contact with the neighbours above and below to see if they are having the same issue? Especially below, the more complaints the better.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Copy the Management Agent and Company. They can't wash their hands on this as there is noise coming from an apartment which is against their rules.

Have you been in contact with the neighbours above and below to see if they are having the same issue? Especially below, the more complaints the better.

we are a ground floor apt with duplexes above us. The pump isajacent to the wall in our spare room. The neighbours on the other side can hear it too but not to the extent that we can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

A third party complaint can only be made to the PRTB with regard to the LL's failure to enforce the tenant's obligations. Issues with the standard and maintenance of the property are specifically excluded.

On phone so can't link, but it's on their website.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I would see it as a case against the LL which you can do with the PRTB. He is failing to maintain his property and you certainly can bring a case based on that alone.

Alas you cannot, at least via the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A third party complaint can only be made to the PRTB with regard to the LL's failure to enforce the tenant's obligations. Issues with the standard and maintenance of the property are specifically excluded.

On phone so can't link, but it's on their website.

Ya, I was thinking about this overnight, just cannot see what the PRTB has got to do with this dispute between two owners.

If the tenants were recklessly having parties at 1am and the LL wasn't doing anything about it, then it's a different story.

But if all they're doing is brushing their teeth or going to the loo - that's not exactly behaviour that a reasonable LL could be preventing.

Ya, I was thinking about this overnight, just cannot see what the PRTB has got to do with this dispute between two owners.

If the tenants were recklessly having parties at 1am and the LL wasn't doing anything about it, then it's a different story.

But if all they're doing is brushing their teeth or going to the loo - that's not exactly behaviour that a reasonable LL could be preventing.

Yes the provision of a third party complaint is generally for antisocial behaviour, and even then the burden of proof is often overwhelming. Issues such as the OP's are not in the remit of the PRTB, only route for redress is the LA or civil case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

OP have a look at the MUD Act and see how you go about making a formal complaint to the Management Company and maybe even get onto your local council noise pollution office. The Management Company are responsible for ensuring that you have quite in your apartment. They have to put pressure on the LL to fix the noise issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have same issue in my block, they can be turned off and just on for the shower to avoid headwreck. Also in mine there is no mat or anything , just bolted onto the concrete floor!!!

well, the 10 days are up and no reply from the management company. I even rang today, left a message which was ignored as is the usual. I rang the council and they suggested i send another letter giving them another 10 days and say that if nothing is done under section 108 of the enviroment act i should issue them with court proceedings. any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

alanc2003 wrote: »
    well, the 10 days are up and no reply from the management company. I even rang today, left a message which was ignored as is the usual. I rang the council and they suggested i send another letter giving them another 10 days and say that if nothing is done under section 108 of the enviroment act i should issue them with court proceedings. any advice?

please contact epa...environmental protection agency. see their web site re noise pollution. scuse no url; working one handed with broken wrist.

epa have the clout to activate the environmental health officers at the council. have used epa for noise pollution very successfully.

Advertisement