Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building assessment for pyrite

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Has anyone had this done on their house? Im looking for an engineer to do test on our home. Contacted a few on engineers of ireland list but no one has gotten back to me yet. Must be busy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you're looking for general info on Pyrite assessments - I'll move this to Construction & Planning.

However, if you want feedback on assessments done in a specific area in DCN - you should say where.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Im in rush and because there is an issue with pyrite in fingal and I was thinking someone here might have had it done and be able to recommend an engineer.

If you think I will get better results in planning then feel free to move it to construction. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

larko wrote: »
    Im in rush and because there is an issue with pyrite in fingal and I was thinking someone here might have had it done and be able to recommend an engineer.

If you think I will get better results in planning then feel free to move it to construction. Thanks

MTW partnership out of malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right thread to be posting in but I'll give it a go.

My partner and I have just put down a holding deposit on a new build in Maynooth.

When we went to view the show house I spoke to the builder and asked him about Pyrite and how they safeguard against it.

He said because some of the houses foundations are there about 5 years that they are getting each of these houses tested for pyrite and once they're proven pyrite free we'll get a thing called a green cert.

Does anyone know if this type of cert means the house is guaranteed pyrite free or if it means there's no evidence of pyrite at this time?

Would just be interested to know how legally binding this is and if it's common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this type of cert means the house is guaranteed pyrite free or if it means there's no evidence of pyrite at this time?

Yuu've hit the mail in the head there. The effects flatten out after 10 years and the amounts can show higher during certain types of weather. You'll hear people effected saying that after a wet summer, their house was way worse.

Also, some parts of the infill might have it, some parts might not. To be certain, they'd need to test multiple samples.

If there's an uncertainty, avoid it like the plague (or else offer him some absolutely ridiculous low amount for the house).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right thread to be posting in but I'll give it a go.

My partner and I have just put down a holding deposit on a new build in Maynooth.

When we went to view the show house I spoke to the builder and asked him about Pyrite and how they safeguard against it.

He said because some of the houses foundations are there about 5 years that they are getting each of these houses tested for pyrite and once they're proven pyrite free we'll get a thing called a green cert.

Would just be interested to know how legally binding this is and if it's common practice.

You'll find a lot more information on the subject in the Accommodation & Property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The effects flatten out after 10 years and the amounts can show higher during certain types of weather.

This is not factually correct.

It can take years for Pyrite to activate and there is no linear hard and fast rules. It can be active then stop then start again and the only way to be 100% sure if it is not present is if the house has been repaired and new stone infill put in or if the existing stone has been sample tested and the Pyrite levels have been determined to be too low for it to cause the expansion induced floor heave that then causes the damage.

The green card may issued by an Chartered engineer who has undertaken the PRB accredited course through engineers Ireland and make sure you get a copy of the PI insurance too.

Advertisement