Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maco2000

It may actually bring some of the fans back to the matches..................if it's not free-to-air on RTE they might travel to the games rather than pay for Sky Sports package. Attendances have been falling at matches for years now and I think the increased tv coverage of games has contributed to this not sure how much though...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

maco2000 wrote: »
    Attendances have been falling at matches for years now

Have you figures for that? My understanding is the opposite is true, that attendances have been going up for years, took a dip after 2008 but have since recovered and I'm almost certain they were higher this year than the year before anyway.

(I'm not pulling you up on this, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I could name 15 people off the top of my head within 3 miles of my house who have no internet,Don't drink or very rarely visit the pub and no SKY sports,What is their choice?

Of course you could. I doubt there is a three mile radius anywhere in rural Ireland that has 15 people in it who don't go to the pub.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bruschi wrote: »
    potentially, yes. But they are also showing an additional 5 games that would not have been on TV at all, so the net result will be an increase. And in Ireland. the viewership for the quarter finals, shown on sky, could well increase if you include those in the UK who will watch it.

There is no way there will be a net increase, it's relatively well proven that the figures will drop by 10 times or so for viewers of sports events only on pay TV compared to free TV, no matter what channel.

So a 1/4 final will likely drop from 250k viewers on TV3 to 25k viewers on Sky in Ireland, no matter who much they promote or hype it up. Exactly what happened with Heineken cup and cricket as outlined in the research posted earlier. It will be even worse most likely as GAA have allowed them to put the matches on sky sports 3 which less people have access to than 1 and 2.

The people who won't watch will mostly be the poorer, older, younger and women, who won't go to the bigger effort required or can't afford it. Or they will get to the pub to watch it (those that still have sky sports)

Again these are unarguable facts, not caring about them is fine and making the move for commercial money reasons is fine. Pretending that it isn't going to happen or it's not why the GAA are doing it isn't fine imo.

The two main GAA historians have said as much and the GAA PRO from most of last 30 years has confirmed the GAA is well aware, it's a massive about face that they are pretending isn't as the quote from Duffy only last year proves.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/social-price-paid-for-new-sky-deal-may-prove-costly-to-the-gaa-1.1749265
    As recently as last year, it appeared as if nothing much had changed when GAA director general Páraic Duffy, as decent and committed a man as has held that rarefied office, talked to journalist Michael Moynihan for his book, Gaaconomics . He was equally adamant that a flight from free-to-air was not on the horizon.

Stay relevant
    “With our TV we’re constrained, rightly, because we wouldn’t get away with selling the rights to the championship to Sky Sports or somebody like that,” he told Moynihan, adding, “I could go out tomorrow and Sky will offer us four or five time what RTÉ are offering, but I know if I came back to management with that, the organisation would say to me, ‘Get out of here. We’re not doing that’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no harm to see TV3 outbid, their covereage for sports is not great.

any idea who sky will get on their panel? Paul Galvin is a shoe in id say.

TV3 had darragh o Shea, Peter Canavan and the lad from Dublin (cant remember his name), dont rememeber their hurling panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

no harm to see TV3 outbid, their covereage for sports is not great.

any idea who sky will get on their panel? Paul Galvin is a shoe in id say.

TV3 had darragh o Shea, Peter Canavan and the lad from Dublin (cant remember his name), dont rememeber their hurling panel.

A lot of turnover in their hurling panel. They had some very good (Nicky English as a commentator or an analyst is probably the best in the business imho) some poor (DJ Carey never really gets his teeth into games I think). There's plenty of recently retired types who could come in and do a great job just like Eddie Brennan and Donal Og Cusack have done for RTE. Wouldn't be surprised to see Niall Quinn doing a stint to give English viewers a familiar face that can explain to them what the hell is going on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

copacetic wrote: »
    There is no way there will be a net increase, it's relatively well proven that the figures will drop by 10 times or so for viewers of sports events only on pay TV compared to free TV, no matter what channel.

So a 1/4 final will likely drop from 250k viewers on TV3 to 25k viewers on Sky in Ireland, no matter who much they promote or hype it up. Exactly what happened with Heineken cup and cricket as outlined in the research posted earlier. It will be even worse most likely as GAA have allowed them to put the matches on sky sports 3 which less people have access to than 1 and 2.

The people who won't watch will mostly be the poorer, older, younger and women, who won't go to the bigger effort required or can't afford it. Or they will get to the pub to watch it (those that still have sky sports)

Again these are unarguable facts, not caring about them is fine and making the move for commercial money reasons is fine. Pretending that it isn't going to happen or it's not why the GAA are doing it isn't fine imo.

The two main GAA historians have said as much and the GAA PRO from most of last 30 years has confirmed the GAA is well aware, it's a massive about face that they are pretending isn't as the quote from Duffy only last year proves.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/social-price-paid-for-new-sky-deal-may-prove-costly-to-the-gaa-1.1749265

if these are unarguable facts, then you wouldnt mind showing me the link to them?

if these are unarguable facts, then you wouldnt mind showing me the link to them?

This was posted a few times already and quoted in the prime time coverage as the actual research in the area, as per the Irish times article linked above also.

http://historyhub.ie/the-impact-of-pay-tv-on-sport

Since the research was done by the pre eminent GAA historian, who at the time was writing a commissioned history for the GAA and working with the chairman and PRO at the time it is safe to say the GAA are well aware of the research and possibly had asked for it to informe their decisions.

Pretending in public that they don't know what is going to happen, or that the effect is minimal is disingenuous at best.

And this is the understanding of Danny Lynch, PRO for GAA for 20 years up to 2008

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-deal-will-do-irreparable-damage-264136.html

This was posted a few times already and quoted in the prime time coverage as the actual research in the area, as per the Irish times article linked above also.

http://historyhub.ie/the-impact-of-pay-tv-on-sport

Since the research was done by the pre eminent GAA historian, who at the time was writing a commissioned history for the GAA and working with the chairman and PRO at the time it is safe to say the GAA are well aware of the research and possibly had asked for it to informe their decisions.

Pretending in public that they don't know what is going to happen, or that the effect is minimal is disingenuous at best.

And this is the understanding of Danny Lynch, PRO for GAA for 20 years up to 2008

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-deal-will-do-irreparable-damage-264136.html

the only figure I see there is a drop off from RTE to sky in 2006 to 2007 from 255,000 to 47,000. So its 'well proven that it will drop by 10 times' as you said is wrong, and the figure above is just about 5 times. Secondly, that was the figures in 2007, when sky sports was not as commonly owned by Irish viewers. Hence why I would prefer if that figure was based on current viewership of the heineken cup on sky. It could very weel be the same, or even worse, but to consistently use the stats from 2007 is not an accurate reflection of where things are now.

I'm not for a minute denying that there will be a decrease, I think there will, but I'd prefer it if people were using figures for their basis that they should use more current ones. I cant find what the current stats are for sky sports viewing heineken cup in Ireland. I think that would be a decent indicator of what the sports viewing people of Ireland are like. It could be good, it could be bad, I dont know.

Just as an aside, 75% of the country has access to the sky platform through either sky dish or cable. this is published in TAM trends for viewership. In 2008, from what I can see, 55% had access to sky or cable tv. So by that logic alone, there has been a huge increase in the amount of people who have cable and sky dishes. In 2007 alone, the year Heineken rugby went to sky, they had a 15% increase in subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the only figure I see there is a drop off from RTE to sky in 2006 to 2007 from 255,000 to 47,000. So its 'well proven that it will drop by 10 times' as you said is wrong, and the figure above is just about 5 times. Secondly, that was the figures in 2007, when sky sports was not as commonly owned by Irish viewers. Hence why I would prefer if that figure was based on current viewership of the heineken cup on sky. It could very weel be the same, or even worse, but to consistently use the stats from 2007 is not an accurate reflection of where things are now.
    <snip>
    those figures are also only residental viewing so the many 10s, if not 100s of thousands who are watching in pubs will not get counted as viewers of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just as an aside, 75% of the country has access to the sky platform through either sky dish or cable. this is published in TAM trends for viewership. In 2008, from what I can see, 55% had access to sky or cable tv. So by that logic alone, there has been a huge increase in the amount of people who have cable and sky dishes. In 2007 alone, the year Heineken rugby went to sky, they had a 15% increase in subscribers.

Only represents the numbers that have a basic cable/satellite package. How many of them subscribe to Sky Sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Necrominus wrote: »
    Wrong. You can sign up for their basic package and add sports. Then simply downgrade end of August and no further charges for sports. Their basic package is €28 which you would be signing up to for 12 months but the total cost is nowhere near the nonsensical figures spouted by the misinformed naysayers on this thread.

Please don't try and twist what I said to suit your own agenda. Where did I state that you would need to have Sky Sports for 12 months? Let me repeat
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Sign up for just the summer months to Sky? Assuming you don't already have Sky then that is a 12 month contract.

Sign up for just the summer to Sky is what i said. I never mentioned Sky Sports. €28 x 12 is still a big dent in the budget of a lot of people.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Sign up for just the summer to Sky is what i said. I never mentioned Sky Sports. €28 x 12 is still a big dent in the budget of a lot of people.

I order Sky Sports from UPC and cancel after 2 months only to be charged a cancellation fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maco2000

Have you figures for that? My understanding is the opposite is true, that attendances have been going up for years, took a dip after 2008 but have since recovered and I'm almost certain they were higher this year than the year before anyway.

(I'm not pulling you up on this, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)

No figures I'm afraid, just experience of early rounds of munster hurling championship really, just remember years ago that they were great occasions altogether but nowadays interest seems to be dwindling. Back door to All-Ireland series prob contributed to that as well I suppose.

those figures are also only residental viewing so the many 10s, if not 100s of thousands who are watching in pubs will not get counted as viewers of the game.

No, they won't, either for a game on tv3 or Sky. Everything being equal the same people would watch the game on either channel in the pub.

If you are saying 100s of thousands more will go to the pub to watch if game is on Sky, well that's the argument.

As for other complaints that the figures aren't recent enough to be used by people with absolutely nothing factual to back up their argument, well it's hard to know how to answer such a farcical complaints

Sky don't generally release their figures to public, because their viewing figures are tiny. They make their money on subscriptions. Even for the biggest premiership events their viewing figures are very small. If they get 5% of available audience it's party time...

A more recent uk equivalent for people who can't work the internet. Week ending 23rd march.
    Champs league, Tuesday on itv 3.6million, Wednesday on sky sports1 1.4million.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-30?_s=4

And that was a better week for sky, when they had man utd on wed and itv had man city on tues, the other way around and sky would be down at about 1million, itv up to nearly 4.

This is a heavily promoted game on the main sky sports 1 channel, in a country with what is anecdotally agreed to be a heavier penetration of sky sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    RTE keep their 31 matches so I don't think it was for that.

After reading much of the virulent response by the GAA about RTE's coverage, I would disagree. Sure RTE keep the above games you mention, but this is a distinct shot across the bow by GAA brass who have publicly stated their disappointment with both the quality of the coverage provided by RTE, and also the amount paid by RTE to the GAA for the rights. There is no other reason for Sky to have any exclusive rights to certain games other than to kick RTE in my opinion, something Duffy & O'Neill seem to care more about than hurting their own supporter base.

Ironically, I would agree about the quality of the RTE gaelic football panel, as well as the cringe-worthy nature of much of the shows like The Committee Room, and lets be honest, the likes of staffers like Marty Morrissey in general, but that the GAA brass has so freely accepted the collateral damage to its supporters just to get at RTE is both disappointing and very sad in my opinion. Loughnane referred to this deal as a solo run by GAA brass today, and I would be inclined to agree with him, and go even further and say GAA brass has willingly used part of its supporter base as pawns, sacrificing them freely as a bargaining tool in their acrimonius dealing with RTE.

I can't end this post however without acknowledging the great hurling coverage by RTE, which with all the disparaging remarks towards RTE's GAA coverage in general, shouldn't go unacknowledged I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

maco2000 wrote: »
    It may actually bring some of the fans back to the matches..................

The GAA adopting a pro-attendance and less arrogant approach to promoting matches, would bring a lot of people back to matches, but that is a seperate point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think it is at all to be honest.

He's highlighting the fact that most people here are using some phantom uber-isolated old people who are so alone and out of touch that they have no phone, no tablet, no laptop, no PC, no money, no transport, no pub, no friends, no match tickets and no Sky Sports for whom the thought of not being able to see the dozen odd games Sky have is going to be a major detriment to the lives of this summer.

Realistically, if anyone knows of any real person in this sort of deplorable situation then shame on them for letting the situation continue. You shouldn't need a GAA deal with Sky to tell you to call around to this poor old soul and take them out of the house for a few hours.

In reality, this is just a fairly transparent attempt to moralise by people who are really just whinging that they don't have every game served up to them for nothing this year.

Excellent post.
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    I could name 15 people off the top of my head within 3 miles of my house who have no internet,Don't drink or very rarely visit the pub and no SKY sports,What is their choice?

Should they all cram into some neighbours house to watch a game?

Ok,Thats fair enough if maybe your county is playing but what about the rest of the games?

These are guys who are long standing supporters of GAA,These guys also would of always watched Munster rugby games when on Free to Air and just lost interest in them when they went to SKY.

The guys who want to see these games just won't watch them if they cant from the comfort of there own homes,So in fact the GAA will just lose viewers.

This is going to affect rural Ireland massively.

P.S The streaming service the GAA announced with the RTE Digital does not cover SKY games

There is a price to be paid for living in really rural Ireland.

Whether it is regular post, shops in walking distance, schools on the doorstep, public transport, fast broadband, no pubs in walking distance, cable tv etc. you will not get the same service as living in towns.

It will cost more to live on top of a mountain, that is life, so just buy a dish and live with it.

However, this will only affect a handful of people and you are exaggerating the effect.

Elmo wrote: »
    Only represents the numbers that have a basic cable/satellite package. How many of them subscribe to Sky Sports?

I dont know. I'm making the point that people are already subscribing to a pay tv service and have ability to get sky sports. its a pretty clear point.
    No, they won't, either for a game on tv3 or Sky. Everything being equal the same people would watch the game on either channel in the pub.

If you are saying 100s of thousands more will go to the pub to watch if game is on Sky, well that's the argument.

As for other complaints that the figures aren't recent enough to be used by people with absolutely nothing factual to back up their argument, well it's hard to know how to answer such a farcical complaints

Sky don't generally release their figures to public, because their viewing figures are tiny. They make their money on subscriptions. Even for the biggest premiership events their viewing figures are very small. If they get 5% of available audience it's party time...

I have to assume you are directing that at me. If you really consider that a comparison of viewership from 7 years ago is a relevant statistic, then so be it. you also inaccurately portrayed it as a fact that it was proven to be 10 times the amount. but nevermind, I'm the one with a farcical argument because I'd prefer to see how the comparison stands up now once the heineken cup has been an established fixture on sky.
    A more recent uk equivalent for people who can't work the internet. Week ending 23rd march.
    Champs league, Tuesday on itv 3.6million, Wednesday on sky sports1 1.4million.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-30?_s=4

And that was a better week for sky, when they had man utd on wed and itv had man city on tues, the other way around and sky would be down at about 1million, itv up to nearly 4.

This is a heavily promoted game on the main sky sports 1 channel, in a country with what is anecdotally agreed to be a heavier penetration of sky sports.

and with the petty jibes. fair enough if you want to go down that route.

I think I already admitted on numerous occasions that the figures would be down. You claimed it would be 10 times the amount. you have just proven your own fact to be completely incorrect. with that I'm done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Godge wrote: »

There is a price to be paid for living in really rural Ireland.

Whether it is regular post, shops in walking distance, schools on the doorstep, public transport, fast broadband, no pubs in walking distance, cable tv etc. you will not get the same service as living in towns.

It will cost more to live on top of a mountain, that is life, so just buy a dish and live with it.

However, this will only affect a handful of people and you are exaggerating the effect.

Dude you gotta be sh1tting me,Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I find the decision by the GAA to be a strange one. You wonder what the agenda is behind it. The idea that they are reaching out to the diaspora is hardly credible when people in England will need Sky to access the games. The acrimony between themselves and RTE seems to indicate other issues in the background. Who knows what was happening in talks between them.
    A lot of ordinary folk enjoy watching the games every summer and perhaps buy a club gaa ticket in their local area. Many of them may have no interest in going to a game because of age, health, the long day out, family, cost, whatever.
    The GAA has talked about breaking the link with alcohol but this move will push more lads into a bar on a Sunday afternoon and remain there for the day.

For me, it is where it goes from here. Are the hierarchy looking further ahead into the future and setting out plans and testing ground or is this just a knee jerk reaction to waken RTE up into a better product/agreement.

I dont know. I'm making the point that people are already subscribing to a pay tv service and have ability to get sky sports. its a pretty clear point.

I have to assume you are directing that at me. If you really consider that a comparison of viewership from 7 years ago is a relevant statistic, then so be it. you also inaccurately portrayed it as a fact that it was proven to be 10 times the amount. but nevermind, I'm the one with a farcical argument because I'd prefer to see how the comparison stands up now once the heineken cup has been an established fixture on sky.

and with the petty jibes. fair enough if you want to go down that route.

I think I already admitted on numerous occasions that the figures would be down. You claimed it would be 10 times the amount. you have just proven your own fact to be completely incorrect. with that I'm done.

No, without providing anything at all to back it up you and others estimate that only a few useless unimportant people will be affected by this.

I believe 10 times less people will watch the games on sky than would have on TV3. Your only argument against that is that the examples from other sports that you didn't even know about aren't quite that bad. The facts provided are both way worse than you and others though and they are just that, facts. Not ill informed guessing.

Those other sports from the examples were already on sky, so supporters already had a reason to have the channels.

Even with soccer, which they are the world leaders in (and any real fan who can afford it likely has a sub) they still get 3 times less viewers that free to air sport in UK. More people don't watch games on sky than do. 300% more people would watch a game on utv than on sky. That's 2.5 million or so in the UK who didn't get to see the games on sky but would like to.

This will of course translate here but will be a lot worse in my opinion, they will do ok for first couple of games in relative terms and get 50-100k viewers as everyone who can will watch to see what they get. Then it will drop like a stone, to 20-30k for a qualifier game, rising to 50-60k for the 1/4 finals and possibly 100k for the final.

Which will be there or thereabout 10 times less that they would have gotten on FTA. Certainly I could be 'wrong' and it will only be 5 times less or 3 times less. The fact that you are hanging your hat on the massive level of drop shows how shallow the arguments are.

However it's guaranteed that hundreds of thousands less people will get to watch the 1/4 finals on sky than would have on TV3. These will be mostly children, old people, the disadvantaged and women.

That's not good for our national game or it's role in society, if the GAA are giving up that role that's fine. It's their decision, only this wasn't their decision. This was a major change in direction not discussed by the membership but forced through by 4 or 5 people at the top.

The smallest rule change is debated up and down and sideways in a often difficult but democratic way. Forcing through a radical change to ethos like this without discussion will not go down well (and hasn't) with grassroots GAA members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I find the decision by the GAA to be a strange one. You wonder what the agenda is behind it. The idea that they are reaching out to the diaspora is hardly credible when people in England will need Sky to access the games. The acrimony between themselves and RTE seems to indicate other issues in the background. Who knows what was happening in talks between them.
    A lot of ordinary folk enjoy watching the games every summer and perhaps buy a club gaa ticket in their local area. Many of them may have no interest in going to a game because of age, health, the long day out, family, cost, whatever.
    The GAA has talked about breaking the link with alcohol but this move will push more lads into a bar on a Sunday afternoon and remain there for the day.

For me, it is where it goes from here. Are the hierarchy looking further ahead into the future and setting out plans and testing ground or is this just a knee jerk reaction to waken RTE up into a better product/agreement.

from listening to lack of clarification from gaa for last few days and generally little justification except to blame rte for doing their job I suspect there is something else going on that we are not being told about...
    I actually watched the tv prog and the grab comment I really did not give it a minutes thought as I have being listening to this for years.... it was only today I realized the comment from gaa rep reading reading....
    it looks like there is a bit of work to be done....

No, without providing anything at all to back it up you and others estimate that only a few useless unimportant people will be affected by this.

I believe 10 times less people will watch the games on sky than would have on TV3. Your only argument against that is that the examples from other sports that you didn't even know about aren't quite that bad. The facts provided are both way worse than you and others though and they are just that, facts. Not ill informed guessing.

Those other sports from the examples were already on sky, so supporters already had a reason to have the channels.

Even with soccer, which they are the world leaders in (and any real fan who can afford it likely has a sub) they still get 3 times less viewers that free to air sport in UK. More people don't watch games on sky than do. 300% more people would watch a game on utv than on sky. That's 2.5 million or so in the UK who didn't get to see the games on sky but would like to.

This will of course translate here but will be a lot worse in my opinion, they will do ok for first couple of games in relative terms and get 50-100k viewers as everyone who can will watch to see what they get. Then it will drop like a stone, to 20-30k for a qualifier game, rising to 50-60k for the 1/4 finals and possibly 100k for the final.

Which will be there or thereabout 10 times less that they would have gotten on FTA. Certainly I could be 'wrong' and it will only be 5 times less or 3 times less. The fact that you are hanging your hat on the massive level of drop shows how shallow the arguments are.

However it's guaranteed that hundreds of thousands less people will get to watch the 1/4 finals on sky than would have on TV3. These will be mostly children, old people, the disadvantaged and women.

That's not good for our national game or it's role in society, if the GAA are giving up that role that's fine. It's their decision, only this wasn't their decision. This was a major change in direction not discussed by the membership but forced through by 4 or 5 people at the top.

The smallest rule change is debated up and down and sideways in a often difficult but democratic way. Forcing through a radical change to ethos like this without discussion will not go down well (and hasn't) with grassroots GAA members.

last comment to you so.

firstly, please show where I said only useless unimportant people will be affected. Dont put words into my mouth that I did not say and make out like I'm the one being offensive in my comments. I'm not the one making petty jibes here.

I havent a notion what your second paragraph is saying. you "believe" now that it will be 10 times worse. Earlier on you said it was proven fact it was that. Again, and for the last time, I already admitted the figures will be down. You tried claim it will be 10 times due to facts. I disputed this, and you showed facts being far less than this. So I dont know what your point is. I'm not the one guessing. I never once put a figure on how much down it would be. You did. You said ten times. So who is ill informed guessing?

your speculation on figures is that. speculation. I'm not hanging my hat on anything. I have not made any spurious claims here. All I did was dispute your "facts".

It wont suit some people. thats a given. its an unfortunate circumstance. It actually doesnt suit me, I dont have sky sports, nor will I be getting it. I intend to be at any game that will be on sky, but we'll have to get over (most likely) Laois before my county is on sky. so be it. I'll see the coverage somewhere after though, whether it is at a friends house or online.

but it has the potential to do a lot for the game. RTE will get the kick in the arse people hoped TV3 would give it. I actually thought TV3s coverage wasnt as bad as people made out. They tried new things, but just didnt have the budget to carry it off. so be it. I'm interested to see what sky can bring to the table. if it improves things then thats a good thing. if it doesnt, then in 3 years time when the contract is up and a new round of offers are on the table, then TV3 or UTV when they come in would hopefully take up the mantle.

and the "ethos" and "grassroots". I am a "grassroots" member. So are my club mates. very few of them have any issues with this at all. dont speak for 750,000 members of the country. or are grassroots members different to regular members?

anyway, my point is this is yet another case of over exaggeration and complaining before there are even any games after been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I find the decision by the GAA to be a strange one. You wonder what the agenda is behind it. The idea that they are reaching out to the diaspora is hardly credible when people in England will need Sky to access the games. <snip>
    Its not the diaspora who are the target. It's the general population.
    And whilst you might say that getting itv to show the games would be better to get the general population, it's easier said than done to get them to show a sport which has no proven advertising pull in GB, and that's even if you gave them it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

One point that I haven't seen much mentioned is UTV. TV3 might be gone in 3 years time but UTV will be up and running in Dublin. Therefore you'll have 3 companies looking for the rights. The GAA has gone with Sky to promote the games but also to keep RTE on its toes. Sometimes its coverage is poor and a bit stale to say the least. The over the top coverage by RTE against the deal was due to this, they fear that Sky, with far more resources, will blow them out of the water for the next deal.

Remember RTE is in dire financial trouble and may regret the tone of having some people go nuts about the GAA bringing kids into pubs to watch a match. The people who used this argument must have never seen a match of any type in a pub before or ever gone to a pub at lunchtime on a Sunday, most pubs have kids running around the place as fathers drag them in to see the latest Premiership match.

There's also the fact that the GAA may well pinch some ideas from Sky and give serious thought to setting up their own channel, be it on television or online. They have mentioned this in the past but the workings of this would be the problem, mainly due to cost.

Where the GAA messed up in the Sky deal was twofold in my mind. One was not demanding the rights for deferred coverage to all matches in the package. Say the match throws in at 6, have deferred coverage starting at 9 on TG4. This way they could say they took the money whilst looking after the elderly/sick/no way of getting Sky near them people. However, that was one of the reasons for Sky giving up on the Six Nations a few years back as the deferred coverage killed their appeal.

Secondly, if the increase in money is €1 million per year as has been reported, the GAA should have presented a detailed plan how that money would have been spent in the clubs as without the proof that it will be spent on the grassroots, they have left themselves open to selling to the highest bidder whatever anyone says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I didn't think TV3's coverage was that bad either. The big problem was too many ad breaks which left little time for analysis before, during and after the game. I like Matt Cooper as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

After reading much of the virulent response by the GAA about RTE's coverage, I would disagree. Sure RTE keep the above games you mention, but this is a distinct shot across the bow by GAA brass who have publicly stated their disappointment with both the quality of the coverage provided by RTE, and also the amount paid by RTE to the GAA for the rights. There is no other reason for Sky to have any exclusive rights to certain games other than to kick RTE in my opinion, something Duffy & O'Neill seem to care more about than hurting their own supporter base.

Ironically, I would agree about the quality of the RTE gaelic football panel, as well as the cringe-worthy nature of much of the shows like The Committee Room, and lets be honest, the likes of staffers like Marty Morrissey in general, but that the GAA brass has so freely accepted the collateral damage to its supporters just to get at RTE is both disappointing and very sad in my opinion. Loughnane referred to this deal as a solo run by GAA brass today, and I would be inclined to agree with him, and go even further and say GAA brass has willingly used part of its supporter base as pawns, sacrificing them freely as a bargaining tool in their acrimonius dealing with RTE.

I can't end this post however without acknowledging the great hurling coverage by RTE, which with all the disparaging remarks towards RTE's GAA coverage in general, shouldn't go unacknowledged I feel.

How dare you besmurch Marty Morrissey, the greatest legend in GAA history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the cringe-worthy nature of much of the shows like The Committee Room, and lets be honest, the likes of staffers like Marty Morrissey in general.

Now now, let's not say things we'll regret later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The GAA adopting a pro-attendance and less arrogant approach to promoting matches, would bring a lot of people back to matches, but that is a seperate point really.

great point and surprised nobody is picking up on that. The GAA reduced the number of TV games a few years ago to boost attendances. This deal with sky will boost attendances as less will be able to watch on TV. So they get a better price from sky for them plus better attendances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

chinguetti wrote: »
    One point that I haven't seen much mentioned is UTV. TV3 might be gone in 3 years time but UTV will be up and running in Dublin. Therefore you'll have 3 companies looking for the rights. The GAA has gone with Sky to promote the games but also to keep RTE on its toes. Sometimes its coverage is poor and a bit stale to say the least. The over the top coverage by RTE against the deal was due to this, they fear that Sky, with far more resources, will blow them out of the water for the next deal.

Remember RTE is in dire financial trouble and may regret the tone of having some people go nuts about the GAA bringing kids into pubs to watch a match. The people who used this argument must have never seen a match of any type in a pub before or ever gone to a pub at lunchtime on a Sunday, most pubs have kids running around the place as fathers drag them in to see the latest Premiership match.

There's also the fact that the GAA may well pinch some ideas from Sky and give serious thought to setting up their own channel, be it on television or online. They have mentioned this in the past but the workings of this would be the problem, mainly due to cost.

Where the GAA messed up in the Sky deal was twofold in my mind. One was not demanding the rights for deferred coverage to all matches in the package. Say the match throws in at 6, have deferred coverage starting at 9 on TG4. This way they could say they took the money whilst looking after the elderly/sick/no way of getting Sky near them people. However, that was one of the reasons for Sky giving up on the Six Nations a few years back as the deferred coverage killed their appeal.

Secondly, if the increase in money is €1 million per year as has been reported, the GAA should have presented a detailed plan how that money would have been spent in the clubs as without the proof that it will be spent on the grassroots, they have left themselves open to selling to the highest bidder whatever anyone says.

I think the bit in bold is best case scenario from the GAA's perspective.

In 3 years time if ITV has taken off and Sky have done well, you'll likely see 3 separate organisations vying for rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Can anyone answer the following

Pre the Setanta Saturday night games, did RTE or TG4 show games on a Saturday night?
    Or was the Setanta venture the GAA's maiden forage into Saturday nigths under lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

Hidalgo wrote: »

Pre the Setanta Saturday night games, did RTE or TG4 show games on a Saturday night?
    Or was the Setanta venture the GAA's maiden forage into Saturday nigths under lights.

TG4 showed some games on Sundays . flood lights were just kicking off , it was when Soccer and Rugby need light at croke park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Hidalgo wrote: »

TG4 were the first channel to broadcast Saturday night matches back in 2005 (in fact the first floodlit match was a Friday night match between Cork and Kerry).

I think they only had it for a year though before Setanta took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

anyone know that Gaa fixtures will be live on TV this summer?

they usually start with an ulster game live

I am wondering if there are figures available for viewing for matches for last year for example.... it is possible that the figures are not as big as we think they bare and that the gaa had no other option than to spread the net to a larger tv audience....
    I know this off topic but I believe in a way the championship got damaged when the back door system came in as I believe people people just support their own teams now as it would be too costly to attend as a neutral as ticket prices were in my view allowed go too high as apart from big matches max of €20 should suffice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I am wondering if there are figures available for viewing for matches for last year for example.... it is possible that the figures are not as big as we think they bare and that the gaa had no other option than to spread the net to a larger tv audience....
    I know this off topic but I believe in a way the championship got damaged when the back door system came in as I believe people people just support their own teams now as it would be too costly to attend as a neutral as ticket prices were in my view allowed go too high as apart from big matches max of €20 should suffice....

Most certainly not. They will be a fraction of the FTA figures when are they stuck on Sky Sports 3, which has a channel share of 0.5% in the UK.

In Ireland the Channel share for Sky Sports 3 is not on the radar. The GAA have given the rights to a subcription only company to teach the free to air stations a lesson and squeeze more money out of them at tender stage. The only losers are Irish people who dont have the money to suscribe to Sky Sports. It was a crazy decision by the GAA to withold the viewing from those people for the €1million they gained. They WILL lose huge audience figures in Ireland as a result. The gain in the UK will not offset this and most importantly the viewing audience will not neccesarily be those the GAA are meant to be serving.

Semi Finals command a audience of 700,000+. GAA viewering is higher than it ever was.

The All Ireland Senior Football Final (Dublin vs Mayo) was the third most watched programme in 2013 with 1,064,000.

The All Ireland Senior Hurling Final (Clare v Cork) 889,000

RBS 6 Nations Rugby (Ireland v England) 719,000

World Cup 2014 Qualifier (Ireland v Austria) 630,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

TV3 do have problems with the loss of ITV programming and now GAA rights.

I don't usually agree with David McRedmond but he did point out that TV3 employ people in Ireland and pay taxes here. I expect that Sky will provide all of their coverage from Ireland, its unlikely that they will use their existing UK staff.

The GAA could have made a deal with Sky for British Rights only. Sky bought these right because the have lost out to many rights in Britain to BT. Sky want to retain their customers in Ireland, PayTV is valued at €500million each year in Ireland.

TV3 may have the rights to the Rugby World Cup. Even if TV3 do fail at some stage some other broadcaster would take up those rights.
    In relation to the bolded and not in any way taking you on your point.
    I've seen it mentioned by numerous people how this is a terrible deal due to Sky being a UK company and not only have they taken our land, our women and our freedom but now they're also taking our GAA and our taxes.:rolleyes:
    Sky employ close to 1000 people in Dublin so there is also a great benefit to the exchequer arising from them.

On a separate note and something that I'm struggling to get my head around is why is it so important to bring the GAA to as wide an audience as possible? Its great for us all to say its (hurling or football, take your pick) the best game in the world and theres always a cute little story that makes us feel great about ourselves about how some random little town in some random little country started playing GAA games when they learned of them through Irish visitors but what real benefit does that bring that justifies putting games behind a paywall?
    There are clubs within our own country who are struggling to survive and who battle on a weekly basis to field players or to find enough funds to pay for small ongoing expenses or to pay their respective county boards levies and memberships. Why is it more important that some village in East Timor gets to learn our the GAA while it seems perfectly fine that the village in East Galway or East Donegal falls by the wayside?

To clarify, I've no problem with the Sky deal but I do have a problem with how it has been spun. It was done primarily to generate revenues not to generate worldwide interest in what has been and what will continue to be a predominantly Irish interest sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sky will make RTE produce a better product. In terms of production, promotion and delivery.

That can only be a good thing for all viewers.
    RTE has paid lip service to GAA coverage if you ask me.
    Crap highlights programming - Sunday game is muck
    No decent midweek programne
    No preview programme since 'breaking ball' was axed.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Sky will make RTE produce a better product. In terms of production, promotion and delivery.

That can only be a good thing for all viewers.
    RTE has paid lip service to GAA coverage if you ask me.
    Crap highlights programming - Sunday game is muck
    No decent midweek programne
    No preview programme since 'breaking ball' was axed.

I think your making allot of noise about Sky, remember their attempt at Sky News Ireland, have Sky ever taken an interest in GAA before? (Though I agree RTÉ's Committee Rooms is dreadful).

Listening to Marian Finucane today she read out "When radio came in first no one could afford radio so we all went to the neighbours ..... TV...... Colour TV..... Not everyone can afford sky so go to your neighbours.... its the 21st centry"

So we should go back to when would could afford nothing????

Sky have taken these rights to hold on to customers, BT will possibly get the same rights that they have in the UK for Sports in Ireland. Why do you think Sky are interests in Pro12?
    I've seen it mentioned by numerous people how this is a terrible deal due to Sky being a UK company and not only have they taken our land, our women and our freedom but now they're also taking our GAA and our taxes.:rolleyes:
    Sky employ close to 1000 people in Dublin so there is also a great benefit to the exchequer arising from them.

In a call centre. Not that we don't need jobs, but we also need professional jobs. TV3 are as much of a UK company, but they pay taxes on their advertising revenue. Sky only pay Irish VAT on installations.

STB wrote: »
    Most certainly not. They will be a fraction of the FTA figures when are they stuck on Sky Sports 3, which has a channel share of 0.5% in the UK.

In Ireland the Channel share for Sky Sports 3 is not on the radar. The GAA have given the rights to a subcription only company to teach the free to air stations a lesson and squeeze more money out of them at tender stage. The only losers are Irish people who dont have the money to suscribe to Sky Sports. It was a crazy decision by the GAA to withold the viewing from those people for the €1million they gained. They WILL lose huge audience figures in Ireland as a result. The gain in the UK will not offset this and most importantly the viewing audience will not neccesarily be those the GAA are meant to be serving.

Semi Finals command a audience of 700,000+. GAA viewering is higher than it ever was.

The All Ireland Senior Football Final (Dublin vs Mayo) was the third most watched programme in 2013 with 1,064,000.

The All Ireland Senior Hurling Final (Clare v Cork) 889,000

RBS 6 Nations Rugby (Ireland v England) 719,000

World Cup 2014 Qualifier (Ireland v Austria) 630,000

The games I was asking about are the comparable games you mention and I doubt if there is anything like (ie the qualifiers and the group of matches in june) as far as I can remember all the big games are on both.....
    I would like to see the figures as I know people with a passing watch finals of all codes and will be surprised if any of the other games pass 250k except the dubs are involved.... if you have access to the figures please post just a few to give us an idea of the numbers involved....

The games I was asking about are the comparable games you mention and I doubt if there is anything like (ie the qualifiers and the group of matches in june) as far as I can remember all the big games are on both.....
    I would like to see the figures as I know people with a passing watch finals of all codes and will be surprised if any of the other games pass 250k except the dubs are involved.... if you have access to the figures please post just a few to give us an idea of the numbers involved....

http://www.rte.ie/mediasales/television/research-top-programmes.html

men 15+

Rank|Programme | AV TVR | AV 000's | AV Share
    1. | All Ireland Football Final: Dublin v Mayo|30.72| 513.1| 77.76%
    2. |All Ireland Hurling Final: Clare v Cork| 27.25|455.0|73.05%
    3. |All-Ireland Football Semi-Final: Dublin v Kerry|26.02|434.5|72.99%
    4. |RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Ireland v England|23.30|385.3|57.66%
    5. |All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Final: Dublin v Cork |20.02|330.9|64.62%|
    6. |All-Ireland Football Semi-Final: Mayo v Tyrone |19.98|330.3|65.72%
    7.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Austria |19.18|317.2|46.19%
    8. |RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Ireland v France |19.18|317.2|54.20%
    9. |All Ireland Hurling Final Replay: Clare v Cork |19.05|318.2|60.43%
    10. |All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final: Limerick v Clare |18.89|312.3|57.61%
    11.| All Ireland Hurling Qtr-Final: Galway v Clare |18.45|304.9|57.83%
    12.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Sweden v Republic of Ireland |17.93|296.6|41.64%
    13. |All Ireland Football Qtr-Final: Dublin v Cork |17.93|296.4|56.31%
    14.| RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Wales v Ireland |16.98|280.8|61.90%
    15.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Sweden |16.85|281.3|44.78%
    16.| Guinness Autumn Rugby International: Ireland v New Zealand |16.52|275.9|53.87%
    17. |Guinness Autumn Rugby International: Ireland v Australia |15.90|265.6|43.57%|
    18.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Austria v Republic of Ireland |15.59|260.4|41.90%
    19. |Leinster Senior Football Semi-Final: Dublin v Kildare |15.05|248.9|50.58%
    20. |All Ireland Hurling Qtr-Final: Cork v Kilkenny |14.86|245.7|54.22%

http://www.rte.ie/mediasales/television/research-top-programmes.html

men 15+

Rank|Programme | AV TVR | AV 000's | AV Share
    1. | All Ireland Football Final: Dublin v Mayo|30.72| 513.1| 77.76%
    2. |All Ireland Hurling Final: Clare v Cork| 27.25|455.0|73.05%
    3. |All-Ireland Football Semi-Final: Dublin v Kerry|26.02|434.5|72.99%
    4. |RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Ireland v England|23.30|385.3|57.66%
    5. |All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Final: Dublin v Cork |20.02|330.9|64.62%|
    6. |All-Ireland Football Semi-Final: Mayo v Tyrone |19.98|330.3|65.72%
    7.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Austria |19.18|317.2|46.19%
    8. |RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Ireland v France |19.18|317.2|54.20%
    9. |All Ireland Hurling Final Replay: Clare v Cork |19.05|318.2|60.43%
    10. |All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final: Limerick v Clare |18.89|312.3|57.61%
    11.| All Ireland Hurling Qtr-Final: Galway v Clare |18.45|304.9|57.83%
    12.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Sweden v Republic of Ireland |17.93|296.6|41.64%
    13. |All Ireland Football Qtr-Final: Dublin v Cork |17.93|296.4|56.31%
    14.| RBS 6 Nations Rugby: Wales v Ireland |16.98|280.8|61.90%
    15.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Sweden |16.85|281.3|44.78%
    16.| Guinness Autumn Rugby International: Ireland v New Zealand |16.52|275.9|53.87%
    17. |Guinness Autumn Rugby International: Ireland v Australia |15.90|265.6|43.57%|
    18.| World Cup 2014 Qualifier: Austria v Republic of Ireland |15.59|260.4|41.90%
    19. |Leinster Senior Football Semi-Final: Dublin v Kildare |15.05|248.9|50.58%
    20. |All Ireland Hurling Qtr-Final: Cork v Kilkenny |14.86|245.7|54.22%

Thanks for that... I am probably reading it wrong but the numbers on the grid do not seem to match with a previous post of over 1m for the final....
    for the moment I will hold my council as it really has not have a big personal effect but 10 years ago I would have being not happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If the AV 00 numbers are supposed to be hundreds of thousand of viewers, they are way, way off. The AI final was deffo in the region of a million viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If the AV 00 numbers are supposed to be hundreds of thousand of viewers, they are way, way off. The AI final was deffo in the region of a million viewers.

There were 957,000 viewers. The table above is Men aged 15+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    There were 957,000 viewers. The table above is Men aged 15+

I already gave the viewer average for the AI Final which was 1,041,000. The audience peaked at 1.5m. Not everyone stayed tune for the whole game.

The Nielsen figures are higher again in their report.

http://www.agbnielsen.com/Uploads/Ireland/TVCONSUMPTIONREPORT2013.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

STB wrote: »
    I already gave the viewer average for the AI Final which was 1,041,000. The audience peaked at 1.5m. Not everyone stayed tune for the whole game.

The Nielsen figures are higher again in their report.

http://www.agbnielsen.com/Uploads/Ireland/TVCONSUMPTIONREPORT2013.pdf

1.5M peak? Pretty incredible numbers for such a small country. I presume the figures will go up nthis year with more UK viewers watching and decent numbers worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Does any fella know if this will be in the normal sky or a new pay for views channel like the boxing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Does any fella know if this will be in the normal sky or a new pay for views channel like the boxing,

• Advertisement
Advertisement