Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cody-now-needs-his-old-cats-to-learn-some-new-tricks-30261865.html

Link to article from Rachel Wyse on KK in today's indo. Is this to demonstrate her credibility as Sky's face of GAA on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Niall Quinn was interviewed on Newstalk earlier today. He said that he is not going to a part of Sky's GAA coverage this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm surprised at Paul Galvin getting the nod. I know he is a big name and has a reputation for being controversial and what not. Maybe Sky think that will be good for ratings. But doesn't he have practically zero track record at this kind of thing? You'd think that the powers that be at Sky would want someone who they already know is comfortable and capable at doing this kind of thing.

During last years league, I saw him do analysis for a game on Setanta. (It's the only one I have ever seen him do.) He didn't have all that much to say for himself. It was like watching paint dry.

Pretty sure I've seen him do analysis a bunch of times, possibly on TG4.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Isn't he on the TG4 Seo Spoirt at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Niall Quinn was interviewed on Newstalk earlier today. He said that he is not going to a part of Sky's GAA coverage this summer.
    also an article in the independent today to the same effect
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/niall-quinn-too-busy-to-be-the-new-face-of-skys-gaa-coverage-30266018.html
    Niall Quinn is sticking to soccer punditry as he pours cold water over rumours that he'll anchor Sky Sports GAA coverage this summer.

"I've heard these reports and they're completely untrue," said the former Republic of Ireland international who also lined out for the Dublin minor hurlers.

"If anyone had bothered to pick up the phone and ask me, they would have known that."

Quinn, who already works for the broadcasting giant, insists he has too much on his plate to even contemplate the role.

"My schedule doesn't really allow for anything else. I'm currently working out in Africa a lot with my satellite broadband business and between that and covering the Premiership, I don't have time for much else.

"I'm really pleased that the company I work for will be covering GAA, but I'll be sticking to football commentary."

Meanwhile, Sky Sports News presenter Rachel Wyse is hotly tipped to be the anchor for the GAA coverage and the announcement of their on-air team is expected within the next fortnight with their live coverage to begin on June 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

So, Laois lost by four points to all-ireland champions Laois in the league, did they? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cody-now-needs-his-old-cats-to-learn-some-new-tricks-30261865.html

Link to article from Rachel Wyse on KK in today's indo. Is this to demonstrate her credibility as Sky's face of GAA on TV?
    No. First of all, to be fair, she has written about hurling a lot over the years. Second, if that was meant to demonstrate credibility it was badly mis judged. It is a terrible article, just a mash of conventional wisdom, entirely out of date, with some very problematic assertions that don't match yup with the reality of the direction the team is taking.

But anyway she's down as an anchor not an analyst, you only need to know enough to ask worthwhile questions. Which she clearly does.

looking at their schedule it doesnt seem that they have a highlights program.
    Maybe thats planned for when they start showing live games, or maybe its not something that they have the rights for/ are planning or want to do.

I cant see them building an audience in the UK very quickly if its simply a 2x 35 min game on a saturday night, switching randomly from football to hurling depending on the week

No. First of all, to be fair, she has written about hurling a lot over the years. Second, if that was meant to demonstrate credibility it was badly mis judged. It is a terrible article, just a mash of conventional wisdom, entirely out of date, with some very problematic assertions that don't match yup with the reality of the direction the team is taking.

But anyway she's down as an anchor not an analyst, you only need to know enough to ask worthwhile questions. Which she clearly does.

Think you're being a bit harsh on her (if she actually wrote it - smells of a ghost/cut + paste to me)! Didn't consider her as analyst TBH as i don't believe she has played/managed at inter count level. ;) I'd accept her as an anchor if it's a toss between her and Marty Morrissey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The sky sports twitter account is alive.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsGAA

I don't rate her at all, as a GAA journalist. She has not played, coached or managed the games at any level. Nor does she go to, or watch many games, as she is based in the UK? She is not part of a club, or involved at any grass roots level. So how on earth could she be qualified to write in depth articles on the GAA?

I have read lots of great pieces of journalism from the likes of Paul Kimmage or Vincent Hogan, when they are writing about a sport that they have no personal connection to. So you don't always have to have played a sport, to write worthwhile articles about it. But at least they are great writers & have real feel for what they are writing about. RW doesn't tick any of those boxes for me either. I don't think that she'd even be good enough to be a Michael Lyster type anchor. He watches enough games to be able ask the lads decent questions about managers tactics in matches, or trends in certain games. Does she?

I don't rate her at all, as a GAA journalist. She has not played, coached or managed the games at any level. Nor does she go, to or watch many games, as she is based in the UK? She is not part of a club or involved at any grass roots level. So how on earth could she be qualified to write in depth articles on the GAA?

I have read lots of great pieces of journalism from the likes of Paul Kimmage or Vincent Hogan, when they are writing about a sport that they have no personal connection to. So you don't always have to have played a sport, to write worthwhile articles about it. But at least they are great writers & have real feel for what they are writing about. RW doesn't tick any of those boxes for me either. I don't think that she'd even be good enough to be a Michael Lyster type anchor. He watches enough games to be able ask the lads decent questions about managers tactics in matches, or trends in certain games. Does she?

If she's able to read an autocue she'll be grand... Anchor job isn't rocket science.

If she's able to read an autocue she'll be grand... Anchor job isn't rocket science.

An autocue isn't of much use to you when you are reffing a row between two Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane type characters. :p

An autocue isn't of much use to you when you are reffing a row between two Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane type characters. :p

Hopefully there will be none of that vaudeville stageshow rubbish. I really hope they go down the route they've gone with soccer and rugby where the idea of the punditry is to teach people things about the game they might not have known on their own.

All RTE ever talk about is ****ing "hunger"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't rate her at all, as a GAA journalist. She has not played, coached or managed the games at any level. Nor does she go, to or watch many games, as she is based in the UK? She is not part of a club or involved at any grass roots level. So how on earth could she be qualified to write in depth articles on the GAA?

Her articles in the Indo on Saturdays are very poor, nothing insightful in them at all. In fairness if she gets the anchor job it makes a good bit of sense. She already works for Sky so it will cost them no extra money.

Overall I cant see sky spending that much money on their Gaa coverage.

Those boyos would be too busy drooling over her to row:D

kksaints wrote: »
    Overall I cant see sky spending that much money on their Gaa coverage.

Wouldn't be so sure. Whether you like them or not, they don't tend to do things half arsed. If they want to dislodge RTE they're going to have to spend. I imagine that's their gameplan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wouldn't be so sure. Whether you like them or not, they don't tend to do things half arsed. If they want to dislodge RTE they're going to have to spend. I imagine that's their gameplan.

This depends on the sport. While their EPL soccer, cricket, F1 and rugby coverage are top class (except for some of the analysis in the soccer), some of their lesser sports such as greyhound racing, Northern Irish soccer,Netball and horse racing when they did it was very ordinary and basic.

Also dont forget that Sky's main focus during the summer months is cricket and that most of the money and focus will be going on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

kksaints wrote: »
    This depends on the sport. While their EPL soccer, cricket, F1 and rugby coverage are top class (except for some of the analysis in the soccer), some of their lesser sports such as greyhound racing, Northern Irish soccer,Netball and horse racing when they did it was very ordinary and basic.

Also dont forget that Sky's main focus during the summer months is cricket and that most of the money and focus will be going on that.

Northern Irish soccer being on it is an unwanted by product of showing their international games, so it is understandable the lack of effort they have put in.

They do horse racing rather well on ATR and are the only reason a lot of Irish racecourses are open. Greyhound racing is very much a minority sport and only on a few times a year, not very much a priority for them. Netball I cannot comment.

Early signs on the GAA are promising. the articles are becoming plentiful and are decent enough. Match reports on Sky Sports news too which will help raise awareness.
    Of course things could all go wrong if they poach Marty Morrissey for commentary and announce someone like Eamonn O'Hara as the main analyst.

Northern Irish soccer being on it is an unwanted by product of showing their international games, so it is understandable the lack of effort they have put in.

They do horse racing rather well on ATR and are the only reason a lot of Irish racecourses are open. Greyhound racing is very much a minority sport and only on a few times a year, not very much a priority for them. Netball I cannot comment.

Early signs on the GAA are promising. the articles are becoming plentiful and are decent enough. Match reports on Sky Sports news too which will help raise awareness.
    Of course things could all go wrong if they poach Marty Morrissey for commentary and announce someone like Eamonn O'Hara as the main analyst.

Who's Eamon OHara? Is he anything to Dick? Does he know Dick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

First full weekend of the championship and Sky don't seem to have any highlights show midweek.

The deal specified that Sky would have a midweeks highlights show.

I'd be interested to see whether Sky will show reruns of previous All-Ireland finals in the run up to the KK - Offaly game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

First full weekend of the championship and Sky don't seem to have any highlights show midweek.

The deal specified that Sky would have a midweeks highlights show.

I'd be interested to see whether Sky will show reruns of previous All-Ireland finals in the run up to the KK - Offaly game.

They will begin all that when their coverage begins in 2 or 3 weeks I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any confirmation of their panel yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not naming it until the last minute, dont want to give away tactics too early. Some injury concerns in the panel at the moment, so I'd say there might be a few AN others in the lineup released and we wont know until game day and the panel is announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They should be announced today - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-expected-to-lean-on-tv3-for-new-pundits-269142.html

The Cush wrote: »

here it is..

Bn_l1KGIYAAxSnh.jpg:large

its basically the old TV crew. surprised Paul Galvin isnt there, he is the ultimately Sky head.

the full announcement on gaa.ie
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1905141140-sky-sports-press-release/

including a mention at the end:
    Non-subscribers can also watch these games on mobile, by downloading the Sky Sports TV app where they can receive all six Sky Sports channels for €13.99 per month.
    can you stream the iOs app to an apple tv could anyone tell me?
    EDIT: feck it, it seems the app is a heap of unreliable dung
    http://www1.skysports.com/mobile/apps/7377025

and heres the actual sky iphone app (from what I see not ipad optimised) - and check the reviews - not good
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky-sports-mobile-tv/id453417026?mt=8

a little more coming out now on the deal/ sweeteners for the GAA grass roots (which BTW already has a precident with english Rugby clubs getting deals on Sky for their club rooms):
    Carney has said that Sky respects the place GAA has in Irish society but that no stone will be left unturned when their broadcasting kicks off with live coverage of Kilkenny and Offaly in the Leister hurling championship.
    “We want to bring production values from other sports into the GAA. We will bring in gizmos and gadgets, though not all at once."
    “There are big resources and you will see great analysis.”

“There will be an announcement in coming weeks for clubs to make games more accessible to clubs at a reduced rate,” he added.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/carney-we-will-bring-gizmos-and-gadgets-to-our-gaa-coverage-30285676.html

Interesting seeing the poll on this thread which was heavily anti sky with it's "hell no" option compared to the one on my new official thread. Now that the dust has settled it really seems like people over reacted at the time. Nothing like a good oul stab at the gaa right?

Official Sky Sports GAA Thread

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Interesting seeing the poll on this thread which was heavily anti sky with it's "hell no" option compared to the one on my new official thread. Now that the dust has settled it really seems like people over reacted at the time. Nothing like a good oul stab at the gaa right?

Official Sky Sports GAA Thread

The vast majority of the people complaining in this thread had never posted on the GAA forum in their lives before. I suspect we won't hear from most of them ever again either.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The vast majority of the people complaining in this thread had never posted on the GAA forum in their lives before. I suspect we won't hear from most of them ever again either.

Probably true. I'm a newbie around here so I have no way of knowing really.

Probably true. I'm a newbie around here so I have no way of knowing really.
    easy, click on the username, then "Find more posts by userxxx" and you can see how often, or otherwise they have posted in the GAA forum

interestingly, if you scan over the posting records of the very humpiest of heads against the sky deal they may have 100s, if not 1000s of posts overall but in all cases I looked at there now, barely a dozen or 2 posts in the GAA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

here it is..

Bn_l1KGIYAAxSnh.jpg:large

its basically the old TV crew. surprised Paul Galvin isnt there, he is the ultimately Sky head.
    Happy enough w that line up even if Im not a huge Finneerty fan.
    Delighted Galvin not involved. Canavan the best in the business afaic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

hopefully Rachel wyse is as good at this as she was in enemy at the gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Apart from Mike Finnerty it is a solid enough lineup. Should have a little bit more time for analysis than TV3 used to allocate. I wonder will there be guest analysts too or will it just be Canavan/O'Connor on their own. I wouldn't be against that as I wouldn't be a fan of having 3 people analysing with none having time to go into any depth.

harpsman wrote: »
    Happy enough w that line up even if Im not a huge Finneerty fan.
    Delighted Galvin not involved. Canavan the best in the business afaic

Canavan is like listening to paint drying. i dont know how anybody could call him the best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

easy, click on the username, then "Find more posts by userxxx" and you can see how often, or otherwise they have posted in the GAA forum

interestingly, if you scan over the posting records of the very humpiest of heads against the sky deal they may have 100s, if not 1000s of posts overall but in all cases I looked at there now, barely a dozen or 2 posts in the GAA forum.

This thread was originally set up in After Hours. Good decision to move it. Usually most sports threads on AH are absolute disasters.

iDave wrote: »
    Usually most sports threads on AH are absolute disasters.

FYP

Apart from Mike Finnerty it is a solid enough lineup. Should have a little bit more time for analysis than TV3 used to allocate. I wonder will there be guest analysts too or will it just be Canavan/O'Connor on their own. I wouldn't be against that as I wouldn't be a fan of having 3 people analysing with none having time to go into any depth.

Canavan & O'Connor are being referred to as Lead analysts which would suggest to me they won't be on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I am against it and ive been posting here years.

Im not the only one

I am against it and ive been posting here years.

Im not the only one

Yeah but my point is this thread was started by someone shining it in a negative light and pushing the no vote.

The Hell no option has 63% of the votes but on a thread I set up recently about it,
    77% were in favour, 8% against and 13% undecided.

From speaking to a lot of people on the ground of all ages, many GAA members, I was very surprised this thread had such a negative attitude to the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yeah but my point is this thread was started by someone shining it in a negative light and pushing the no vote.

The Hell no option has 63% of the votes but on a thread I set up recently about it,

From speaking to a lot of people on the ground of all ages, many GAA members, I was very surprised this thread had such a negative attitude to the deal.

It doesn't matter what negative spin you regard as being put by in the this by the OP OR indeed the spin that was put on it by YOU in the thread that you started with another poll asking the same question. Talk about trying to reinvent the wheel! Ask the question enough times and you will get a different answer? People are despondent, your poll means nothing and also has a low response rate.

Like it or not the poll in this thread has had more responses than your poll, which is useless at this stage, as the deed is done.

The people you are speaking to "on the ground" might have been positive, but the vast majority of people I have spoken to are still annoyed at the GAA selling out our national sport to put manners on those pitching in the future for TV rights.

The losers have been the Irish people who dont/cannot subscribe to a sports package or its carrier via a pay only TV company. The winners are Sky TV who will have pocketed another niche sport in their corporate locker to force people into subscription contracts. It means less people will view our native game, natively.

You can try and spin all the positivity you can into that, but people are no fools. I for one do not suffer Sky (or any pay only elite service provider for that matter) apologists gladly. Irish native sports are not for those who can afford to watch the game and should never be. It goes against the whole ethos of the GAA organisation itself, or at least it did until they employed ruthless coroporate sales directors that forget/never knew/dont want to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Just to make clear I've an interest in this subject Media wise. I'm not into the GAA one way or another. I actually think that it was a wise move to get away from TV3 if nothing else.

But the point has to be made that neither poll is accurate. You started a thread with a poll and the title of the thread is The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Now from that title and the first post of that thread it's appears to be in favour of Sky Sports on some level. Thus it's more likely you'll attract positive feedback. Boards.ie polls are as accurate as a coin toss.

STB wrote: »
    Like it or not the poll in this thread has had more responses than your poll, which is useless at this stage, as the deed is done.

Unlike the earlier poll, which was an important consideration for all parties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Canavan is like listening to paint drying. i dont know how anybody could call him the best in the business.
    He has an excellent knoledge of the game and his analysis has alot of insight. Personally I like his dry sense of humour,but thats a matter of opinion.

Seeing as this is the thread that contains all the discussion on whether the deal should be done, here's some quotes from an Examiner article on how the coverage has affected clubs on the ground in Britain.
    IT’S been the year the British forged a surprising love affair with GAA sports from the safe distance of their TV screens, writes Nick Bramhill

Sky Sports ventured into unchartered, and risky, waters earlier in the summer when the broadcaster started covering Ireland’s indigenous sports for the first time.

But TV viewers’ overwhelmingly positive, if somewhat bemused reaction, to action-packed games such as the two hurling finals between Kilkenny and Tipperary and the football showdown between Donegal and Kerry, seems to have paid off.

Now GAA clubs in Britain say they are reaping the benefits in the form of a hike in interest from people wanting to take up the sports.

Club chiefs across England have noted how the exposure to GAA sports has encouraged young English kids to start playing hurling and Gaelic football.

And following the coverage of last month’s nail-biting All-Ireland hurling finals across the water, GAA representatives in Britain said they are expecting hundreds of new converts to flock to their clubs.

Sean Hopkins, chairman of Lancashire GAA County Board, said: “It’s phenomenal what’s happening at the moment. A few teachers in Manchester I know told me English-born kids, with no background or knowledge at all of GAA, are coming into school the whole time talking about hurling rather than the Premiership.

“There’s great potential now at underage level, because youngsters have seen the game and they want to play it and that’s the key to the future of the sports.

“The first of the two hurling finals was the best possible advert for the game and there’s a feeling here Sky are going to bring things to another level. It’s the best thing that’s happened to the game in a long time.”

When Sky signed a €10m three-year deal with the GAA earlier in the summer, many seasoned observers and so-called ‘experts’ scoffed at the prospect of gaelic games proving a hit across the water, particularly as a large period of the season clashed with the World Cup.

Initial doubts about the audience’s appetite for the sports seemed to be confirmed when Sky’s TV figures for several of the season’s opening televised games pulled in little more than 10,000 viewers. But social media, not least an increasingly frenzied reaction on Twitter to more high-profile televised matches, raised the GAA’s profile and gave a massive boost to viewership figures.

The well-documented Twitter reaction, particularly to hurling, played a key part in drawing in a hugely-impressive 427,000 viewers in Britain to the epic first final between Kilkenny and Tipperary, deemed by some experts as the best game of hurling ever played.

Now there is evidence the legion of converts are joining GAA clubs across Britain.

Chairman of London-based Sean Treacy’s hurling club, Martin Carroll, said the Sky exposure will enable him to launch an underage team.

“There are English lads, who haven’t played before, getting in contact. Sky has given the games a lot of exposure and it bodes well for the future,” says Carroll.

Underage coach at London’s St. Brendan’s GAA Football Club, Paul Hughes, says “I’ve been coaching here for 15 years and I’ve never seen such interest as there’s been in the past few months. We’ve one underage team at the moment, but we’ll be able to double that number by next year because of the Sky coverage.”

All-Britain competitions chairman John Gormley, added: “In the last six to seven years, we’ve doubled the number of underage clubs in Britain from 30 to 60 and that’s happened through getting funds from the Irish government and Croke Park, and having a full-time development officer.

“But if Sky keeps covering the games, the popularity of the GAA over here will take off like never before.”

Meanwhile, tourist chiefs in Ireland have predicted a further spin-off from the coverage in the form of increased visitor numbers from across the water.

Tourism Ireland spokeswoman Sinead Grace said: “The Sky deal certainly is proving positive because it’s showcasing our national games in our largest overseas market - Britain.

“Hurling has been drawing a lot of interest in particular because it is such an exciting game to watch on TV.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/blue-skies-on-the-horizon-for-british-gaa-clubs-290432.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Seeing as this is the thread that contains all the discussion on whether the deal should be done, here's some quotes from an Examiner article on how the coverage has affected clubs on the ground in Britain.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/blue-skies-on-the-horizon-for-british-gaa-clubs-290432.html
    All those positive things that are happening in real life are all very well and good but my mind won't be made up until I read the article on what the impact has been on the makey uppey old man living up the side of the mountain who can only get the two channels.

I MISSED THE SLIGO GALWAY MATCH OVER THIS ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

keane2097 wrote: »
    I MISSED THE SLIGO GALWAY MATCH OVER THIS ****

I had to go to Sligo to see it. SLIGO!

Advertisement