Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I was not talking about that.
    I was talking about the mild hysteria that is going on here implying that just because Sky have 14 games the whole armature structure of the GAA will fall apart.

But while you mention the topic of a broadcasters footprint, where do you get the notion that Sky are in less than 10% of homes ?
    If I recall during the digital switchover there were stats going around saying that Sky or cable was in 80% of homes, I'll dig the source out againagain.

A very small proportion on people with sky have sky sports an no-one can't get it without a large bill, way less than 10% but I upped it as I thought then no one could get mixed up. They get tiny viewing figures for anything on their sports channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Could someone link me to something definitive about this 'agreement'?

The Irish Times article from the last Thur is all the information we have until the GAA make their announcement, expected this week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-announce-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports-1.1740874

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Does anyone know who in the GAA hierarchy has the power to make this decision.Is it Padraic Duffy ,O'Neill or The commercial director Peter McKenna or do all three have to agree to it.

I have no problem with Sky Broadcasting matches as long as the same games are available on Irish TV free to air but if they are getting exclusive rights then it doesn't sound like the deal is being pushed by O'Neill and Duffy who have long term involvement with the GAA from grassroots level up and you would think had more of an idea how the average GAA fan thinks.
    As I mentioned earlier the top table of GAA are far far removed from grassroots nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Cush wrote: »

That Vincent Hogan article shows extreme naivety to say the least. For instance he doubts that the GAA would 'facilitate the imposition of exorbitant charges on the Irish abroad' - anyone based in the US in particular will know that this has been happening already for years with $20 per day charges just to enter bars there that are showing games.

The GAA already have pay to view in place for overseas viewers and also for Irish based viewers who want to see all televised league games. The upcoming deal is just another step along that road by extending it to the championship. I would be very surprised if SKY paid for packages that were also available free to view on TG4, it would seem to make no business sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Could someone link me to something definitive about this 'agreement'?

I have found nothing which makes all the posts here seem like conjecture. :(

There was something in the Irish times-man at work showed me it. Could of been Thursday or Friday. There will be an announcement very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Ahoy Ahoy wrote: »
    There was something in the Irish times-man at work showed me it. Could of been Thursday or Friday. There will be an announcement very soon.

See above link from The Cush. That's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have no problem with Sky Broadcasting matches as long as the same games are available on Irish TV free to air ...

+1

Members of my family have been steeped in GAA for many decades ..... with some representing county at all levels including senior.

I, for one, will cut all connections with the organisation if they 'sell out' with exclusive rights going to a pay service.

If they do, I fervently hope there is a player reaction from the youngest to the oldest ...... even to a boycott of all games included in such a package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

As I mentioned earlier the top table of GAA are far far removed from grassroots nowadays.

You'd like to think that Duffy and O'Neill wouldn't be.Seeing as they progressed all the way through the ranks from club level up to the 2 highest positions in the organisation that they might a little but more respect for the members who got them into that position in the first place.The financial benefit of this agreement will more than likely be completely cancelled out by the negative reaction from GAA members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

+1

Members of my family have been steeped in GAA for many decades ..... with some representing county at all levels including senior.

I, for one, will cut all connections with the organisation if they 'sell out' with exclusive rights going to a pay service.

If they do, I fervently hope there is a player reaction from the youngest to the oldest ...... even to a boycott of all games included in such a package.

Fans probably won't boycott because when all is said and done they still desperately want to watch matches and so will either attend the matches live (which may be what the GAA are trying to do with this agreement) go to the pub or pay for Sky.

The only thing that would make any difference would be if the players/GPA kicked up.But seeing as they sold themselves out a few years ago by becoming part of the main GAA organisation I wouldn't expect anything from them.

The GAA could easily have done a much better deal from a PR point of view.Allow sky broadcasting matches exclusively by announcing that 10 - 15 extra matches would be available on Sky exclusively. and the same number of matches as before being broadcast on Free to air channels.This would both give RTE some competition and an incentive to improve their standard of broadcasting, while at the same time not alienating fans and also bringing in some money for the association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fans probably won't boycott because when all is said and done they still desperately want to watch matches and so will either attend the matches live (which may be what the GAA are trying to do with this agreement) go to the pub or pay for Sky.

The only thing that would make any difference would be if the players/GPA kicked up.But seeing as they sold themselves out a few years ago by becoming part of the main GAA organisation I wouldn't expect anything from them.

The GAA could easily have done a much better deal from a PR point of view.Allow sky broadcasting matches exclusively by announcing that 10 - 15 extra matches would be available on Sky exclusively. and the same number of matches as before being broadcast on Free to air channels.This would both give RTE some competition and an incentive to improve their standard of broadcasting, while at the same time not alienating fans and also bringing in some money for the association.

By all means sell/give Sky exclusive rights to a package of games to be shown in the UK, but insist that those games be shown FTA so Irish viewers do not need a Sky sub.

Else forget about Sky carrying them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

STB wrote: »
    I have had to explain to you that GAA is the national sport, for viewing by the Nation. Just in case you dont get it, heres a picture.

ireland_map22.gif

Melodramatic ? The GAA have sold the Irish Viewing Rights to a British PAY only subscription TV company. That means Irish people on the Island of Ireland cannot receive it unless you pay said company. You may feel comfotable with that, I'm not. You are either a Sky apologist or have buckets of money for pay TV.

A pretty limited audience ? Your having a laugh. You need to look at the viewing figures for televised games (especially those being sold to go behind a pay wall).

The GAA's job is not to get the word out to the world. Their job is to promote the sport from grassroots level in every County in Ireland. It certainly isnt going to do this by prohibiting Irish people in Ireland from viewing it.

Their job is as set down in their charter

It is an amateur sport, NOT a professional sport.

or Something. You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Sky Sports channel share in Ireland is not even on the radar in Ireland, its LESS than 1%. In the UK the total channel share for all Sky Sports Channels combined is 2%. Infact Sky Sports 3 & 4 have a combined channel share of 0.3%, invariably where the games will end up.

International rights already existed. I have tried to explain this to you already as has Copacetic above.

This is not the a debating society where theres a debate for the sake of debate. There is fundamental principle here that goes against the whole GAA eothos. They have sold out. Sky are not interested in promoting ANY sport. Sky are only interested in increasing their subscriber base and maximising their profits. The ultimate goal is to get as many people unnecesarily wound up in pay tv contracts. They whip up as many unprotected sports as they can to do this. Unfortunetly for the GAA (or rather their commercial director did) thought this would wash with the Irish people.

For sure. They sold it for up front cash. If Irish people want it they now have to pay Sky. Everyday Irish families lose.

Why do you keep ****eing on as if I don't understand your viewpoint? I do understand it, I just don't agree with it. I think the trade off (IF THERE EVEN IS ONE) is worth it for the potential that Sky offers, simple as that, as do one third of the people here according to the poll.

All this foaming at the mouth and posting pictures of Ireland as if we've lost it again to the Brits over these 14 games is comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

nm wrote: »
    Why do you keep ****eing on as if I don't understand your viewpoint? I do understand it, I just don't agree with it. I think the trade off (IF THERE EVEN IS ONE) is worth it for the potential that Sky offers, simple as that, as do one third of the people here according to the poll.

All this foaming at the mouth and posting pictures of Ireland as if we've lost it again to the Brits over these 14 games is comical.

But you quite clearly didnt understand it. I had to post a picture of the Island to emphasise the term "Nation".

Its you that is shíting on with false audience figures and ridiculous arguements about how the game will benefit and you have been called on it. That is not in the GAA's basic remit which is for the development and promotion of the game on this Island, no other.

Its not a trade off, its a sell off.

The only comical thing is those who have forgotten their identity. You can call my and othr peoples reaction, comical, but those 14 games are at every level of the competition including provincial finals. If you agree with the selling of those games to a UK corporation on an exclusive pay per view basis, then you have no interest in the national game.

I have no issue with these games being made available to the diaspora and the small numbers of non nationals who might like to watch the game on Sky, but not to the detriment of the Country, and not on an exclusive pay per view basis.

If it is true that TG4 will have the live rights in parallel then I would have no problem, but I doubt that this is the case as I do not see the benefit to Sky, and they dont spend money unless there is something in it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

But you quite clearly didnt understand it. I had to post a picture of the Isalnd to understand the term Nation.

Its you that is shíting on with false audience figures and ridiculous arguements about how the game will benefit and you have been called on it. That is not in the GAA's basic remit which is for the development and promotion of the game on this Island, no other.

The only comical thing is those who have forgotten their identity. You can call my and otehr peoples reaction, comical, but those 14 games are at every level of the competition including provincial finals. If you agree with the selling of those games to a UK corporation on an exclusive then you have no interest in the national game.

I have no issue with these games being made available to the diaspora and teh small numbers of non nationals who might like to watch the game, but not to the detriment of the Country.

If it is true that TG4 will have the live rights in parallel then I would have no problem, but I doubt that this is the case as I do not see the benefit to Sky.
    I suppose sky would have "English language" exclusive rights in Ireland - it would be a selling point for some as an awful lot of people don't understand Irish commentary and would be more inclined to go with sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I hope Sky show more respect for GAA fans than the Gaa are showing , by looking at todays hurling fixture list.

3 quarter finals on at 3.30pm and one at 3.45pm

At least with Sky , you will have one on Saturday afternoon , one Saturday evening .
    Early Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon .

I find it very unfair that the Gaa will have all these massive hurling counties playing at the same time .

And that goes from a radio and TV point of view .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

But you quite clearly didnt understand it. I had to post a picture of the Island to emphasise the term "Nation".

Ha ha you didn't have to post anything as i'm sure you're aware I already know what nation means, but you seem to be incapable of accepting that there are any opinions differing to your own ["There is no debate here blah blah blah"], I cant continue this with you, you're an idiot, good luck

nm wrote: »
    Ha ha you didn't have to post anything as i'm sure you're aware I already know what nation means, but you seem to be incapable of accepting that there are any opinions differing to your own ["There is no debate here blah blah blah"], I cant continue this with you, you're an idiot, good luck

I have no problems debating anything once you have valid arguments. You didnt and you spouted false figures to back up your arguments. A basic grasp of international rights vs terrestrial rights might have also been a help.

When you have to resort to name calling then that says it all. Good Luck yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

who cares who shows the games, most people only looking for excuse to go to the pub anyway. ireland v france in the rugby was on rte but the pubs were packed for it.

who cares who shows the games, most people only looking for excuse to go to the pub anyway. ireland v france in the rugby was on rte but the pubs were packed for it.
    I'm sure you'll find there was quiet a few homes tuned in too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

That is just idle speculation from Donal Reid. He has no inside knowledge on this issue.

The only comical thing is those who have forgotten their identity. You can call my and othr peoples reaction, comical, but those 14 games are at every level of the competition including provincial finals. If you agree with the selling of those games to a UK corporation on an exclusive pay per view basis, then you have no interest in the national game.

I have no issue with these games being made available to the diaspora and the small numbers of non nationals who might like to watch the game on Sky, but not to the detriment of the Country, and not on an exclusive pay per view basis.

If it is true that TG4 will have the live rights in parallel then I would have no problem, but I doubt that this is the case as I do not see the benefit to Sky, and they dont spend money unless there is something in it for themselves.

Unfortunately the kind of xenophobic attitude displayed in the post above is still in existence within a subsection of GAA followers - this level of small mindedness (thankfully only the views of a small minority) does the GAA no favours at all.

As a GAA fan though, I'm confident that the organisation as a whole is moving well away from these kind of viewpoints and that the real reason for a lot of the comments is that people simply don't like the idea of paying for something they previously got for free.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the kind of xenophobic attitude displayed in the post above is still in existence within a subsection of GAA followers - this level of small mindedness (thankfully only the views of a small minority) does the GAA no favours at all.

As a GAA fan though, I'm confident that the organisation as a whole is moving well away from these kind of viewpoints and that the real reason for a lot of the comments is that people simply don't like the idea of paying for something they previously got for free.

There is nothing xenophobic in my views. How dare you. The principle of the GAA selling out the rights to view part of Irish culture cannot be ignored. Its an amateur sport. Its that simple. It doesnt require a Patriotism is a virtue debate. Former Kerry player sums it up nicely. Tommy.PNG

the sooner sky comes in the better, rte are a joke,that coverage tonight was pathetic they didnt even send a camera to watch the last 2 all ireland chamions in league quarter finals, bring sky on i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

the sooner sky comes in the better, rte are a joke,that coverage tonight was pathetic they didnt even send a camera to watch the last 2 all ireland chamions in league quarter finals, bring sky on i say.

What exactly are you expecting Sky to do?

sky dont do things half arsed, rte are a pure joke the only sport they market and hype up is rugby.

sky dont do things half arsed, rte are a pure joke the only sport they market and hype up is rugby.
    You obviously don't remember Sky News Ireland and that fiasco...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is nothing xenophobic in my views. How dare you. The principle of the GAA selling out the rights to view part of Irish culture cannot be ignored. Its an amateur sport. Its that simple. It doesnt require a Patriotism is a virtue debate. Former Kerry player sums it up nicely. Tommy.PNG

Im still at a loss to figure how this affects the amateur status as many are going on about.

Its a commercial rights sale, its exactly the same thing as the previous sales to RTE, BBC, TV 3, TG4 and Setanta.

Sure 14 games will now be behind a paywall but its no further behind any pay wall than the Dublin v Mayo game I did not see last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You obvs never watch skys coverage of the Northern Irish Premiership if you dont thing they do things half arsed

I think Tommy wins the ironic post of the year award for that effort given that he was happy enough himself to use his GAA training to land himself a professional contract in another sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What Tommy says is nonsense anyway. Surely supporters are more taken advantage of in the NFL, where they have to pay huge ticket prices and the games aren't even allowed be shown in local areas if the stadium doesn't sell out. Rights are also sold to subscriptions. Rugby? Huge ticket prices and some rights sold to subscription TV. Likewise Soccer.

It's also strange why people keep referencing the grassroots volunteer who gives up his time to help local GAA and is now being crapped on by the GAA. I've yet to meet a Soccer or Rugby underage coach that was getting paid? Is the lad lining the pitch getting paid? Even the ref's get paid less than GAA ref's. You'd swear the GAA was the only sport with unpaid volunteers. The only difference between GAA and the rest, is that the players arent being paid. And they have a lot more chance of making a few quid through sponsorship or whatever else with the SKY deal than not. The anti brigade keep using amateur players as a reason against. Why? I'm fairly sure they'd be happy to showcase their skills to a market of 60 million. If this deals leads to them getting some form of payment then all the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There's a few things that they do half arsed. What do you expect them to do that say RTE don't do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

lertsnim wrote: »
    There's a few things that they do half arsed. What do you expect them to do that say RTE don't do?

Why do Sky even want this, Do they really think they will make money out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Presumably so, they are quite a successful business. And in comparison with other sports the GAA TV rights could be a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

People on here complaining about not being able to watch games on TV for free.

Yet the same people have no issue having to pay to see games in the flesh. Amateur games should be free to attend surely ?

The rights will cost a pittance compared to other sports. For a lot of the GAA championship summer, there will be no soccer up against it and Sky will be able to promote both sports in the UK. Will arose a lot of curiosity among UK viewers as most don't have a clue what either sports are about.

Hurling in particular should look quite exotic to them. If the GAA have any sense they'll have negotiated a certain amount of Sky Sports News exposure built into the contract along with Sky maybe showing a certain number of replays of All-Ireland finals at various times before the championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

An awful lot of people in Ireland have switched off their Sky Sports element of their UPC and Sky subscriptions in the last 1-2 years. An awful lot more will have switched off in recent weeks with the UPC price increase.

So they'll probably hope to retain some of their Irish customer base by offering them more value, and offer it to a new audience in the UK market. There must be 500,000 Irish people living in England and Wales alone right now.

Don't forget that there will is fierce competition between Sky and BT at the moment which is set to ramp up further, Sky are probably just hoping to get first mover advantage on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Discussion on this earlier on RTÉ Radio 1's Today with Sean O'Rourke show just after the 11 o'clock news.

Should be available later on the player - http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yet the same people have no issue having to pay to see games in the flesh. Amateur games should be free to attend surely ?

Yes, because the stadiums, balls, stewards, insurance, player's travel + food, jerseys, lights, electricity etc. have absolutely no costs and all magically appear for free.

Of course the games should be free, in fact a free drink on the way in would be nice too, the tight feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andy Byrne

This is nothing new. The Dublin Mayo game was on Setanta Sat night and it's pay TV.

Yes, because the stadiums, balls, stewards, insurance, player's travel + food, jerseys, lights, electricity etc. have absolutely no costs and all magically appear for free.

Of course the games should be free, in fact a free drink on the way in would be nice too, the tight feckers

Exactly. So if the GAA charges for entry to games, why shouldn't they be allowed to sell TV rights to Sky Sports ?

Us Irish seem to have an awful sense of entitlement at times. Watching hurling and football for free seems to be just one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I see a lot of hesitancy towards a possible deal being done with Sky and I fail to see the issue. Surely it makes as much financial sense to the GAA as opening Croker to soccer and rugby did all those years ago. Us Irish (and those involved in the upper echelons of the Association in particular) always harp on about what a great little amateur sport we have, and showcasing it to a wider audience would do more to our national identity than that "The Gathering" nonsense the Government peddled last year did.

Progressive move from the GAA. Not a sell out and a boost to migrants clamouring to follow the sport they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

What's the problem if the games will be broadcast simultaneously on TG4? Is it expected to be for this season's championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Andy Byrne wrote: »
    This is nothing new. The Dublin Mayo game was on Setanta Sat night and it's pay TV.

There is a big difference though between the Championship in the summer, compared to league matches in March and April - both with fans and players. If that same match was on Sky in the summer, and it wouldn't be available FTA, then there would be uproar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

There would be clearly something fundamentally wrong with people having to pay an Australian to see their sons or their neighbours playing for free. If the GAA go down the Sky route they are going to have to pay the players. I do not see how they can argue against that and it is a route they clearly do not want to venture.

The problem then is to make sure the GAA are getting paid enough to pay the players and to get something for the GAA grassroots which, despite much of the anti-GAA vitriol you hear, is where most of the GAA revenues go. My opinion, and it is just my opinion, is the games will not be as popular as we like to think and SKY would be looking at GAA as a SKY4 filler for the quiet Summer months when there is nothing but county cricket and speedway on. There is no way SKY are thinking of this as a massive seven or eight figure rolling contract and I don't think it will be worth the grief the GAA hierarchy will have to endure for selling their soul to the Tans and all that other guff that will be spouted.

iseegirls wrote: »
    There is a big difference though between the Championship in the summer, compared to league matches in March and April - both with fans and players. If that same match was on Sky in the summer, and it wouldn't be available FTA, then there would be uproar.

Uproar presumably from the plastic fans who only want to watch championship matches but don't give a hoot about league / pre league cup matches ?

Says a lot about this debate in my mind. The sense of entitlement from those who don't give 2 f***s about the GAA outside of inter-county championship games says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If the GAA go down the Sky route they are going to have to pay the players. I do not see how they can argue against that and it is a route they clearly do not want to venture.

Can you flesh that out a bit? I've heard a few people saying it and I'm not sure I see the logical steps between the one and the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can you flesh that out a bit? I've heard a few people saying it and I'm not sure I see the logical steps between the one and the other.

How ridiculous would it be if a player had to pay Rupert Murdoch to see himself playing in a match?

How ridiculous would it be if a player had to pay Rupert Murdoch to see himself playing in a match?

While not being paid to Rupert, the Dublin and Mayo players would have had to have paid to see their owns teams playing Saturday night.

The same can be said for the London and New York teams who'd also have to pay to see their own teams play as all GAA outside of Ireland is on pay per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

That presumes there won't be a simultaneous broadcast on TG4 is that the case?

h2005 wrote: »
    That presumes there won't be a simultaneous broadcast on TG4 is that the case?

I'd say there'll still be complaints if TG4 do a simultaneous broadcast on the basis that no one can understand Pat Fleury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement