Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Deise Vu wrote: »
    How ridiculous would it be if a player had to pay Rupert Murdoch to see himself playing in a match?

Why would he pay to see himself when hes actually playing the match :confused:

Where does this 'Grab All Association', 'lining the pockets' image come from? A few draws in the 90s which the GAA obviously choreographed seems to be the root of it.
    Whos pockets get lined when they say that? Liam O'Neil. How much can he make in a 3 year term?
    Duffy? possibly but I'd hate to make such allegations without proof, especially given all his service to GAA.
    Who else then? Faceless administrators in the bowels of Croke Park.
    Not just referring to Sky deal, but this image in general.
    They reduced tickets prices last year IIRC, league tickets were reduced this year if bought in advance. AIF replay tickets were discounted.
    Its income is audited and made available to the public.
    the soccer/rugby rent money was distributed directly to county boards. Didn't they receive 250,000 each?
    Seriously though how are they greedy?

Sky have made numerous advances over the years and have been turned down. They gave in long after the FAI sold international friendlies to Sky and IRFU its HEC rights.
    Other minority sports like Netball, Olympic Handball, Hockey have gone behind a paywall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Sean Ban Breathnach signed up with Sky!

SKY SPORTS WILL broadcast 14 GAA championship games this summer as part of the new TV rights deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Sell the TV rights to Sky and let them rename Croke Park. It's only a name and people can watch matches in a pub or online if they don't have Sky.

Better to have the additional money in the game rather than not have it at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sometimes I do dispair about this fourm, where rumours and randomness are pedalled as facts without being backed up.
    Have ye never heard that a link to a source is needed?
    Anyhow, heres the official announcement so it is now a confirmed deal.
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/

So Sky it seems will have a bunch of qualifiers, 4 provincial championship matches and 2 football quarters. From what I gather they have joint rights to football and hurling semis. Seems odd they don't have joint rights to the final, would be nice for the show case events to be shown in the UK.
    Like the deals which make it easier for people to access the matches in Oz & USA.

Ok deal done, didn't feel an earthquake under my feet. Sun is still shining.

Edit: read it wrong they are showing the finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

No more TV3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Just announced that SKY got 14 games. I'm sorry but that is not right. Did the government not step in some years ago and stop the FAI from doing this? Engene McGee said it correctly in yesterday's Indo (first time I can remember ever agreeing with him). The GAA are turning their back on the older rural viewer who don't want to get or can't afford PPV. Very disappointing!!!!

• Advertisement

A Boycott of matches will be called I would suspect. The GAA could split - look up World Series Cricket!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All Ireland minor finals to TG4 is the one surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get the outrage myself. It's not like there wasn't a precedence with the GAA selling games to PPV channel Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

I don't get the outrage myself. It's not like there wasn't a precedence with the GAA selling games to PPV channel Setanta.

wasn't that only for league games though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Who will be broadcasting the 25 games that Sky won't be showing in the UK ?

I'd be amazed if Premier Sports will still have the rights to the other 25 games ?

Squareball wrote: »
    Just announced that SKY got 14 games. I'm sorry but that is not right. Did the government not step in some years ago and stop the FAI from doing this? Engene McGee said it correctly in yesterday's Indo (first time I can remember ever agreeing with him). The GAA are turning their back on the older rural viewer who don't want to get or can't afford PPV. Very disappointing!!!!
    well, the older rural viewer ( and everyone else) was at the mercy of the luck of the draw as to whether a certain game was being shown in the first place as >50% of games last year were NOT televised live in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On SS News now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Deise Vu wrote: »
    How ridiculous would it be if a player had to pay Rupert Murdoch to see himself playing in a match?

Is that it? I thought there might have been something a bit more solid to it.

Free Sky Sports for players - or even free videos of games ffs - would solve that, never mind your "players must now be paid".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

On SS News now.
    "The team in Yellow" ... :D hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

icdg wrote: »
    All Ireland minor finals to TG4 is the one surprise.

Rte had the commentary in Irish any way :) at first I was against the idea of sky completely but I'm kinda coming round to it. I got rid of sky sports about 3 years ago now. I still won't b able to afford it. It does encourage people to go to the games . the people I feel really bad for are the older rural living people. Hopefully Kilkenny won't b playing as many Saturday night games as they did last year :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement

Not about money then

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=213239

Promoting our games to a wider audience.
    Sure we'll give it a go. Sky themselves might not renew in 3 years anyway

"Caaar' mon Lahndan! Let's get right stuck into these Dublaaahn mugs!"

Did they actually give this announcement coverage on Sky Sports News ?

Did they actually give this announcement coverage on Sky Sports News ?

Yep, they were trying to explain the basics of the games and all that.

:D Hopefully someone will throw this up on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Controversial move!

Won't affect me too much as I head to most games, and catch the highlights for the rest..

Is this really significantly more controversial that having gaes on Setanta though?

Grudaire wrote: »
    Is this really significantly more controversial that having gaes on Setanta though?

It mainly is if you only tune into GAA on RTE between May and September.

To my mind this is great as it's vastly increasing the number of the knockout qualifier games that are going to be shown. These are the cream of the championship every year and only something like two per code have been shown over the last few years.

Sky going to show at least 8 now and a chunk of the rest of RTEs games will have to be from that pool as well I imagine.

The new streaming service sounds very interesting as well.

Grudaire wrote: »
    Controversial move!

Won't affect me too much as I head to most games, and catch the highlights for the rest..

and again (for fear of being too repetitive) not even half the games are televised anyhow so missing out on seeing a certain match youre interested in on tv is as much a factor of it being televised in the first place as whether you have sky sports or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Who will be broadcasting the 25 games that Sky won't be showing in the UK ?

I'd be amazed if Premier Sports will still have the rights to the other 25 games ?

Looks like RTE have the rights to stream worldwide in a new streaming package. With studio analysis and in HD. Sounds promising, if their servers can handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Im not keen on sky getting rights but in fairness they can't be any worse than tv3

But shur they only follow Dublin anyway..

Not impressed with the Sky deal... It's gonna come to a head very quickly when the four counties in those two quarter finals turn on the box and suddenly discover that they have to pay Rupert Murdoch to watch their own county play the national sport.. What the fk are they paying the TV license for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Not impressed with the Sky deal... It's gonna come to a head very quickly when the four counties in those two quarter finals turn on the box and suddenly discover that they have to pay Rupert Murdoch to watch their own county play the national sport.. What the fk are they paying the TV license for?

They could always try going to a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Hundreds of thousands of people have Setanta on their basic UPC package. Several people I know would flick over to Setanta when games are on, but will not subscribe to higher package to get Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

ardmacha wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of people have Setanta on their basic UPC package. Several people I know would flick over to Setanta when games are on, but will not subscribe to higher package to get Sky.

I thought it was the principle of the thing that everyone disagreed with ;)

This idea that the TV licence fee entitles every household to every GAA game for free is lolworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

What a loaded poll question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You could have
    Dublin V Kerry on SKY
    Cork V Tyrone on SKY
    Leitrim V Down on RTE
    Limerick V Louth on RTE

That kind of Draw would probably cause a revolution of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

If you don't have Sky Sports you can download the Sky TV App to watch their GAA coverage. It's about €6 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

You could have
    Dublin V Kerry on SKY
    Cork V Tyrone on SKY
    Leitrim V Down on RTE
    Limerick V Louth on RTE

That kind of Draw would probably cause a revolution of some sort.

Unlikely. I'd say what will happen is Sky get first refusal on say one game of a double header of QF's with RTE getting first refusal on the other. It will leave it that both get one attractive game at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Yurt wrote: »
    If you don't have Sky Sports you can download the Sky TV App to watch their GAA coverage. It's about €6 a month
    you shouldnt have to pay to watch your national sport which is an amateur sport . the gaa are sellouts and alot of people will show this when they wont pay extra fees to see the games .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How much is this deal worth? Personally I think it is a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Boycott of games in Croke Park should be had, hit them were it hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Complete sell out from the GAA and a disgrace, more money for the overpaid clowns in headquarters, if your going to go all commercial wiht the GAA maybe they should pay their players? They haven't the money to pay the players decent expenses despite all the major concerts at Croker this year and now this. The people in headquarters are a disgrace and have completely sold out the GAA and what it should stand for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Unlikely. I'd say what will happen is Sky get first refusal on say one game of a double header of QF's with RTE getting first refusal on the other. It will leave it that both get one attractive game at least.

I know it's unlikely but even if you consider that SKY would get either Cork V Tyrone or Kerry V Dublin as one of their picks, you can see where people will get very upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Complete sell out from the GAA and a disgrace, more money for the overpaid clowns in headquarters, if your going to go all commercial wiht the GAA maybe they should pay their players? They haven't the money to pay the players decent expenses despite all the major concerts at Croker this year and now this. The people in headquarters are a disgrace and have completely sold out the GAA and what it should stand for.

What's the difference between this and opening Croker to soccer and rugby a few years ago? One is exposing the game to a wider, more global audience. The other put to bed any lingering strain following the "ban". Both are massive money spinners but I'd be willing to bet that the former will generate more revenue now than the latter ever did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

liam o.neill is about to be interviewed by brian dobson on rte 6.1 news so i want to hear what crap he comes up with to justify him and the gaa selling out to sky .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Disgusted by this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What's the difference between this and opening Croker to soccer and rugby a few years ago? One is exposing the game to a wider, more global audience. The other put the bed any lingering strain following the "ban". Both are massive money spinners but I'd hedge my bets that the former will generate more revenue now than the latter ever did.

What's wrong is the GAA is supposed to be an amateur sport yet expects people to pay for it on ppv Sky TV. unlike pro sports GAA players are not paid so the deal is not about being able to afford to pay players. Soccer and Rugby been open to Croker was fine and i have no problem with Croker being used to host concerts. My problem is GAA is meant to be our national sport and an amateur game it's selling out by forcing people to pay for Sky to watch it. The money won't even go to the players it will go to lining the pockets of the clowns in headquarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Absolute disgrace. Pay the county players a fee at least if they are going down this road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Australians have all the games live on free tv but screw those living at home in Ireland.

Boycott of games in Croke Park should be had, hit them were it hurts

I'd be surprised if most of the people losing the rag here haven't been on an unofficial boycott of GAA grounds for years anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement