Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Barely a word on the deals in Australia and for US viewers for free on here. Suppose its easier to be outraged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I know it's unlikely but even if you consider that SKY would get either Cork V Tyrone or Kerry V Dublin as one of their picks, you can see where people will get very upset.

RTE have had first pick of games in most of if not all the deals there have ever been, I haven't seen anything to suggest there's anything different this time. I'd be amazed if there was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

like a goverment td hes completely avoiding the question that brian dobson is asking him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

handandy wrote: »
    liam o.neill is about to be interviewed by brian dobson on rte 6.1 news so i want to hear what crap he comes up with to justify him and the gaa selling out to sky .

Pauraic Duffy was just on radio one.. He's using the "bringing our game to a wider audience" fallacy.. I mean could they not just say "we did it for the money"...

How can the heads of the GAA expect the players to play for nothing, yet Sky and the GAA head lads themselves are allowed to make money out of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Some of the stuff on here is a joke.

Bet most of those people complaining about watching at home for free never paid to go to a league game or club game.

This is good for the game, most of the big matches remain free, a few extra get televised and the game gets better exposure abroad. Sure there are a few games on pay TV but we already have that with Setanta and league games but did anyone on here notice?

liam o,niell has just told anyone who does not have sky to "go to a person who has sky so you can watch the game"

what a complete numpty o,niell is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Very impresed by Dobson there, really gave O'Neil a good grilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There will be a lot more people discovering the joys of illegal streaming.

I'm not sure why RTE are going to be streaming their games for free worldwide (to non licence fee payers). The GAA could have set up their own site and sold a season ticket. Irish residents are subsidising emigrants.

Edit: They will have to pay to watch the RTE coverage, apparently. I'm sure it was reported earlier that the games would be streamed free by RTE worldwide.

Godge wrote: »
    This is good for the game, most of the big matches remain free?

People pay their license fee to RTE and their taxes to cover RTE's inevitable losses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

O' Neill comes across as an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bet most of those people complaining about watching at home for free never paid to go to a league game or club game.

This is good for the game, most of the big matches remain free, a few extra get televised and the game gets better exposure abroad. Sure there are a few games on pay TV but we already have that with Setanta and league games but did anyone on here notice?

Complete ****e, i have been to 3 of Waterford's League games this year, was also at every single game they played in the last championship, it's selling out pure and simple, we don't have that on Satanta forgive me but wasn't every game either on RTE or TV3 for the last few seasons.

Pauraic Duffy was just on radio one.. He's using the "bringing our game to a wider audience" fallacy.. I mean could they not just say "we did it for the money"...

How can the heads of the GAA expect the players to play for nothing, yet Sky and the GAA head lads themselves are allowed to make money out of it..
    well my mate who is leaving these shores for australia next week will be able to watch all the gaa games for free on channel 7 over there .
    meanwhile paddy irishman here in ireland gets shafted and told by liam o,niell to "go to someone who has sky so you can watch the game" .
    absolutely unreal comment to make live on rte news . :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The GAA spokesman on the RTE news say they did it to make the game global. It isn't a global game. They did it for the money, which will be nice for the guys at the top who will pay themselves big money.
    This is the start. In a few years it will go the way of other sports, with most games on subscription channels.

Skid X wrote: »
    There will a lot more people discovering the joys of illegal streaming.

I'm not sure why RTE are going to be streaming their games for free worldwide (to non licence fee payers). The GAA could have set up their own site and sold a season ticket. Irish residents are subsidising emigrants.

pat rabbitte wont like that one bit , all the money from media/tv licence fees he will be loosing out on . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Liam O'Neill has just been on RTE News. The most shocking thing about the interview is that he did not announce his immediate resignation. The second most shocking thing was that he said there would be games on Sky. He did not even know how much this would cost the loyal GAA fans and other sports fans who have the common sense never to have subscribed to Sky. Brian Dobson said it was €768 per year. In a positive move, Liam O'Neill did say that games would now be streamed online internationally. That is good for here, as we constantly get threads asking where people can see matches when abroad or if there are live streams. They should do that for all matches and tell Sky to take a running jump.

diomed wrote: »
    The GAA spokesman on the RTE news say they did it to make the game global. It isn't a global game. They did it for the money, which will be nice for the guys at the top who will pay themselves big money.
    This is the start. In a few years it will go the way of other sports, with most games on subscription channels.
    he also said that you can "listen to all the games on radio" wtf like ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

absolute drivel from O Neill. Dobson how much extra are they gonna pay?.. Oneill- Can't say its all about the irish overseas etc. yes we are screwing tv3 who offered the same amount more or less but we dont care. You can tell they have spent the whole week with their spin doctors rehearsing the tripe that this is good for the overseas irish. Lets forget about the actual Irish people at home. Ironic isnt it that if you live in australia you will now see all 45 irish games free to air yet if you live in Ireland you wont.

Exclusive rights to some of the Saturday night qualifiers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if most of the people losing the rag here haven't been on an unofficial boycott of GAA grounds for years anyway.

No offence keane2097 but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion,a tad broad a generalisation.I attend all my county's games.I'm not going to speak for any other posters.

If the GAA are going to go down this route the inter county players deserve to get something out of this deal,without them there would be no product to market.

Fundamentally disagree with the deal.Endangers the amateur ethos.Only positive is it will enhance our emigrants ability to view our national games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dubliner_8

Already on Sky Sports website http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/20876/9243818/sky-sports-secures-rights-to-all-ireland-gaelic-football-and-hurling-championships which straight away is promotion in itself.
    I'm gonna sit on the fence on this. Whilst I acknowledge the concerns of pay per view, this has the potential to be very good for the game in terms of reaching out to a new market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

buyer95 wrote: »
    Very impresed by Dobson there, really gave O'Neil a good grilling.

Don't understand why you think that. He emphasised that it would cost in excess of €700 for people to subscribe to Sky & get access to Sky Sports. Thats nonesense. All people who have Sky already, all 1.5 million of them,have to do is upgrade to Sports for June, July & August. They can then cancel. And there are usually good discounts given by Sky to add Sports during the Summer months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This is good for the GAA and those who play the game around the country. It's not good for those who don't bother attending games. The former are more important to the sport, so I don't think it's a bad decision really.

There's laws in place in Ireland that prohibit certain events being exclusive to paid television services. The games that Sky are getting aren't important enough. People don't have a right to access free television coverage of sporting events that they themselves find important. The fact that they players are amateur makes no difference.

Many of us complaining do go to league and club games. It is not good for the game if matches are being taken away from viewers. You can see matches for free on Setanta. Sky is exclusively pay per view. Setanta aren't taking mainstream matches away from viewers, as this deal does. That is a disgrace and should never happen to GAA or any sport. As I said in an earlier post, Sky should have the guts to compete based on their coverage, not their wallet. If they have good quality, people will watch and they'll make their money on advertising. That is better than their current approach of extortion.

Don't understand why you think that. He emphasised that it would cost in excess of €700 for people to subscribe to Sky & get access to Sky Sports. Thats nonesense. All people who have Sky already, all 1.5 million of them,have to do is upgrade to Sports for June, July & August. They can then cancel. And there are usually good discounts given by Sky to add Sports during the Summer months.

What about those who don't have Sky? That's who he was referring to afterall. And there are plenty without it.

Flukey wrote: »
    Many of us complaining do go to league and club games. It is not good for the game if matches are being taken away from viewers. You can see matches for free on Setanta. Sky is exclusively pay per view. Setanta aren't taking mainstream matches away from viewers, as this deal does. That is a disgrace and should never happen to GAA or any sport.

The fact is that it does happen to most sports. The GAA aren't breaking any laws. If you feel it's morally wrong or extortionate then become involved enough in the GAA to have an influence or start lobbying your TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Where are people getting the idea that any extra income will be going to liam o'neill, pauraic duffy etc.? This is complete ****e, there income won't change regardlesa of what deal or what channels the matches are on.any extra income that comes from this deal will be filtered down to grassroots level where it is badly needed and maybe might not be so badly needed if the people doing the majority of the complaining supported there local club instead of just the county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Basically it seem that its a case of swapping TV3 for Sky.

I'm not over the moon with the idea of the games on PPV channel, but at least TV3 are getting their just deserts after the feeble and shoddy efforts they put into broadcasting GAA games in the past.

I'd also be hoping that it will force RTE to up their game somewhat ; up until now when it comes to broadcasting GAA they've been competing with stations who haven't had a fraction of their resources - TG4, Setanta and TV3 (2 of whom do a very decent job on a shoestring) It will be interesting to see what Sky can bring to the table in terms of improved coverage with their deep pockets.

lertsnim wrote: »
    What about those who don't have Sky?

Why is that the GAA's problem? They have no obligation to those people. The only people they have an obligation to are those who play and are involved in the game. This deal helps those people.

I'm sure you'll be able to watch all Sky's matches down in your local GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Basically it seem that its a case of swapping TV3 for Sky.

I'm not over the moon with the idea of the games on PPV channel, but at least TV3 are getting their just deserts after the feeble and shoddy efforts they put into broadcasting GAA games in the past.

I'd also be hoping that it will force RTE to up their game somewhat ; up until now when it comes to broadcasting GAA they've been competing with stations who haven't had a fraction of their resources - TG4, Setanta and TV3 (2 of whom do a very decent job on a shoestring) It will be interesting to see what Sky can bring to the table in terms of improved coverage with their deep pockets.

Totally agree,TV3's GAA coverage was absolutely dismal.

Why is that the GAA's problem? They have no obligation to those people.

They'd care about those people fast if they stopped giving money to the GAA.

• Advertisement

maybe might not be so badly needed if the people doing the majority of the complaining supported there local club instead of just the county

How much more have they made from this deal compared to the previous one? And it is a wild assumption you have made about anyone that doesn't share your viewpoint.

lertsnim wrote: »
    They'd care about those people fast if they stopped giving money to the GAA.

In what way are most of these people giving money to the GAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some real sour grapes on display from TV3

http://balls.ie/gaa/tv3-impressed-gaas-approach-tv-rights/

Really wouldnt be all that surprised if TV3 put in a low bid, thinking that the GAA would never go with SKY and are now paying the price.

Also directly from the GAA site
    The GAA is pleased to confirm details of its TV and radio broadcast rights to cover the period 2014-2017.

Within Ireland, a total of 45 provincial and All-Ireland championship matches will be broadcast live on television annually for the next three years: a total of 31 games will be shown by RTÉ (as per the last contract) and 14 by Sky Sports.

The 31 championship games to be televised by RTÉ include the All-Ireland finals and semi-finals in both codes, the All-Ireland hurling quarter-finals, and two of the four All-Ireland football quarter-finals.

RTÉ have also secured the rights to all six Provincial championship finals, while the remainder of the 31 games to be shown live on RTÉ are a mixture of provincial championship and qualifier games. Ulster championship games covered by RTÉ, including the Provincial football final, will also be broadcast on BBC Northern Ireland.

Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games.

These consist of eight Saturday evening matches in the All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland football championship quarter-finals, and two Saturday evening and two Sunday provincial championship games. In addition to these 14 games, Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals, thus making 20 live games available to its subscribers throughout Britain and Ireland.

All games broadcast on Sky and the majority on RTÉ will be shown in HD.

The GAA’s commitment to the support of the Irish language is reflected in TG4’s retention of Sunday afternoon Allianz League matches.

TG4 has also been awarded coverage of the Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor finals, bringing them back to Croke Park on the GAA’s two biggest days, and will again cover AIB Club Championships, the Irish Daily Mail Fitzgibbon and Sigerson Cups, Masita All-Ireland Post-Primary Schools competitions, the Cadbury U21 Football Championship, Bord Gáis Energy U21 Hurling Championship and county finals. It is anticipated that TG4 will again cover 62 live and 22 deferred games in each of the three years.
    Setanta Sports will continue to broadcast Saturday evening Allianz Leagues games.

While the award of domestic TV broadcast rights will see over 90 live games shown free-to-air within Ireland in each of the next three years, the GAA has also delivered on its promise to address access to its major games for those living outside of Ireland.

In addition to Sky Sports providing exclusive live coverage of 20 championship matches in Britain, in a major new departure, Channel 7 will show all 45 live championship games free to air in Australia.

A further exciting expansion of coverage for Irish people living abroad is reflected in a new online streaming service – a joint venture between the GAA and RTÉ Digital – which will allow supporters living in the U.S and worldwide access to all games televised live in Ireland via the internet on PC, desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones and other connected devices.

These new arrangements will provide vastly improved access to our games throughout the world, thus allowing the GAA to meet its commitment to make its games more widely available to Irish people living outside of Ireland.

Radio coverage of GAA games remains with RTÉ and Newstalk, while Raidió na Gaeltachta will continue to broadcast both league and championship games trí Gaeilge. Today FM continue to provide score flash updates. In addition, the GAA intends to renew its successful local radio partnership with the Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI) in the coming weeks.
    GAA Quotes:
    Liam Ó Néill, Uachtarán
    “We are pleased to confirm arrangements for the broadcast of our games for the next three years, particularly as we believe that they represent an exciting development for the Association.”
    “Making our games more widely available to Irish people abroad was a critical factor in our approach to these negotiations. We felt an obligation to them not to neglect their legitimate appeals to be able to watch live TV coverage of our games. We are also glad that this brings the quality and excitement of our games to a wider international audience. Gaelic games are national games played in a small country, and which must compete for audience loyalty with the hugely powerful sporting and marketing resources of international sports. The GAA has to fight its corner, and must ensure that it maintains a strong presence across a range of media outlets so that we can continue to fund our clubs in the important sporting, cultural and social roles they perform in their communities. ”
    Páraic Ó Dufaigh, Ard Stiúrthóir
    “In the negotiation of these rights, the GAA was guided by a wish to drive the promotion of Gaelic games and we believe the new rights’ contracts will provide Gaelic games with their widest-ever global audience reach.
    “We look forward to working with all of our broadcast partners in television and radio, and are enthused by the prospect of having our games presented to the highest standards of sports’ broadcasting. We are delighted to have retained our domestic partnerships with RTÉ, TG4, Setanta Sports, Newstalk and Raidió na Gaeltachta. We welcome our new partnership with Sky Sports and firmly believe that their coverage of our games will bring a new excitement to our championships.”
    “Financial considerations were far from being the guiding criterion in our negotiations, and were of lesser importance than the issue of making our games more widely available to Irish people living abroad. In fact, the financial benefit to the GAA from the new broadcast contracts compared to the previous ones is marginal.”
    Peter McKenna, Croke Park Stadium and GAA Commercial Director
    “While negotiation of these rights was a lengthy process, we were determined to bring our games to as many people as possible in all parts of the world. Supporters of hurling and football living outside Ireland will have easier access to our games than ever before, while viewers in Ireland can watch almost 100 live games on free-to-air terrestrial TV, in addition to games on Sky and Setanta Sports.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/

The fact is that it does happen to most sports. The GAA aren't breaking any laws. If you feel it's morally wrong or extortionate then become involved enough in the GAA to have an influence or start lobbying your TD.

I don't think any of the ordinary GAA people that are against this can rise through the ranks to influential positions between now and the start of the championship. Certainly not enough of them. So those in those positions should do it. I can't see TDs doing much about it, even though it is a national scandal. Let Sky show matches if they want, but not exclusively. Yes, the GAA are not breaking any laws, but what they are doing is wrong on many fronts. As has been said, letting more people see matches from abroad, while taking matches away from people in Ireland, is not progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

So the GAA and it's supporters can get off their high horse about "money ruining the game" when discussing other sports. They are a sell out like other big sports, not a care for the small fan. Suppose all this extra money will go to "grassroots"? My hole.

• Club membership
    • Attendance money
    • Ticket Scheme memberships
    • Fundraising

...to name just a few. Some people may not pay anything to the GAA at all, but most with any kind of interest do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Fant11 wrote: »
    So the GAA and it's supporters can get off their high horse about "money ruining the game" when discussing other sports. They are a sell out like other big sports, not a care for the small fan. Suppose all this extra money will go to "grassroots"? My hole.

Could you please tell us where you think it will go so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder does this deal so mean that in future if there is a draw in an all Ireland final, will there be an announcement over the PA system in Croke Park for all those in attendance to hold onto their tickets for free admission to the replay??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Fant11 wrote: »

You and everyone else talking about selling out and extra money should read Paraic Duffys statement.
    There's no significant income increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Could you please tell us where you think it will go so?

Not to the players, thats for sure. Sky's motivation is not to promote the sport. It is to get as many people signed up to pay tv as they can. The GAA have helped that situation greatly, by selling out. Perhaps the GAA think we are coming out of a recession.

This is a sign of things to come. Sky dont even know who the current AI Football Champions are. Mayo fans will be delighted.

iDave wrote: »
    You and everyone else talking about selling out and extra money should read Paraic Duffys statement.

Then why sell the viewing rights to our national game in Ireland to a UK PAY ONLY TV subscription service ? Dont be naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Not sure will Sky deal increase the popularity of the sport, especially football. Let's be honest, once ppl subscribe to sky and see the other sports the world has to offer, in comparison to the sport where tackling is not defined and "shouldering" is recognised as a skill, they should come to their senses.

Club draws, church collections etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Where are people getting the idea that any extra income will be going to liam o'neill, pauraic duffy etc.? This is complete ****e, there income won't change regardlesa of what deal or what channels the matches are on.any extra income that comes from this deal will be filtered down to grassroots level where it is badly needed and maybe might not be so badly needed if the people doing the majority of the complaining supported there local club instead of just the county

Where is the €5m they are getting from Croke Park concerts this year going?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

From the way I read it, the GAA have sold the exclusive rights to championship matches below provincial final level to Sky - would that be correct ?

If so, I think this a very sad and disappointing day for the association. I would be all for the GAA helping ensure those outside Ireland have a better pipeline to watch games, and thought this would be the extent of Sky's involvement. Exclusive rights to certain games within Ireland are a different matter, and pretty shocking and disgraceful if that's the case.

GAA press release (http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/);

Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games.
    These consist of eight Saturday evening matches in the All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland football championship quarter-finals, and two Saturday evening and two Sunday provincial championship games. In addition to these 14 games, Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals, thus making 20 live games available to its subscribers throughout Britain and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Sky Person on RTE News said most games will be on Sky Sports 3. You cannot get Sky Sports 3 on Eircom's E Vision - only Sky Sports 1 and 2.

iDave wrote: »

All the more reason not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 nidge123

I am disgusted with their announcement, there is many a family in ireland today who will miss games because of the gaa greed. Two of my sons play hurling , we love the games , yes we have sky but unfortunately you have to think of families who dont or more importantly cannot afford sky miss out on games,

Pauraic Duffy: "The game will remain amateur"

In other words, amateur for the players, professional for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good to see than a worldwide online service is being offered.
    Great for those in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Long overdue
    WHY KEEP THIS GREAT GAME SUCH A BIG SECRET?
    Sunday Press 13th. September, 1959.
    I’ve always had a soft spot for the Irish, but ever since last Sunday I’ve been annoyed by them.
    Annoyed with them for keeping this great game of hurling to themselves for so long.
    Here is something as Irish as gaelic coffee. Yet you Irish have been shy and bashful about singing its praises to the rest of the World. I wonder why?

I’m still raving to my friends about Sunday’s final between Kilkenny and Waterford and since that excerpt which was shown in Sportsview on B.B.C. television on Wednesday , I’ve had to explain what hurling is more times than Paddy O’Keefe-who was so helpful to us in giving us facilities-has had to explain to disappointed fans why all the tickets are sold for a final.

Yet remember I am a self confessed soccer maniac. I still think soccer is the finest game in the World but now hurling is pretty strong around second place.

Like everyone who has ever seen the game I had a wrong impression of hurling. I thought it was just another excuse for a “fight”. Many think the same. I have spend hours since Sunday explaining to people in England that there are rules and that the onfield discipline is strict and the game is anything but a brawl.

My main lasting impression will always be of the excitement I felt at Croke Park. I’ve seen sporting events in many parts of Europe and America (both North & South) but I have yet to see a game which keeps the excitement at such a constant fever pitch as hurling.

Every other game I’ve seen has its dull moments yet on Sunday there was none at all and I came away wondering how 30 amateurs to whom the rule book says “full time training is inconsistent with amateurism” could keep it up so long.

It is now generally accepted that to get to the top and stay there in any World-class sport you have got to train full time, but your players of the fastest and most exciting game of the lot shattered that belief for me in one unforgettable hour last Sunday.

When we filmed the final only one of the B.B.C. crew had ever seen a hurling game and our main difficulty was keeping up with the tremendous movement. It didn’t take me long to realise that hurling is even faster than ice-hockey which has always been regarded as the fastest of all sports.

Happily enough hurling seems to sacrifice nothing of its skill on the alter of speed. I shall never forget some of the incredible forwards I and 74,000 others saw on Sunday and one man stands in my memory Tom Cheasty. That time in the second-half when he caught the ball swerved around an opponent, tipped the ball onto his hurley, started to run, dropped the ball, but regained it, then burst between two men and shot a point which will forever remain as one of my finest sporting memories.

As far as television is concerned the danger about hurling is it could be too fast for the camera to follow. I think Sunday proved that the danger can be overcome. Our cameraman followed it very well for a man that had never seen the game before, and in a live outside broadcast there would be three television cameras instead of one film camera, so the coverage would be easier.

So there is no reason why-the G.A.A. permitting-hurling should not be one of the big attractions on your screens when Irish television starts. Eamonn Andrews is a great personal and professional friend of mine, and I have left him in no doubt as to what I think of hurling as television entertainment-although let us always remember that at best television is only a substitute for actually being in the stadium yourself.

Whether the B.B.C. will cover hurling again I frankly don’t know. It is not my job to decide which events are covered but I do know that in any case I am coming to Dublin for the football final just to see whether football can provide the thrills and excitement hurling did. And if I get half a chance I shall be at Croke Park again for the Kilkenny-Waterford replay.

In the last two years Wembley Stadium in London has staged a Gaelic day at Whit suntide with both Hurling & Gaelic football. They can already put me down as a subscriber for 1960, and I am convinced that if two of the top Irish teams gave an exhibition match to the English people hurling would be as popular on my side of the Channel as it is on yours.
    http://daltonr.wordpress.com/2007/02/08/52/

Advertisement