Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

One thing I am slightly concerned about is who sky will use to commentate, hopefully they will be able to recruit someone decent but at present there are not too many decent GAA commentators out there.

there are a few , most of them would be still at local level , liam aherne for example has done a few games for setanta and premier sports in the past he works for limerick live 95, descent commentator , hopefuly it will open the door to a few more new comers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I suppose none of ye who are praising this move to a company owned by a criminal as "brave" and "progressive" have seen what's happened to both soccer and rugby in England since Sky got their hooks in to those games over the last couple of decades. In soccer what used be an egalitarian situation where the big clubs helped out the little clubs and the grassroots got significant support from the FA has turned into a situation where the top twenty clubs get all the money (with even a big divide at the top between the big and small), where the grassroots are dying a slow death (there's been a loss of c. 500,000 people playing soccer since 2005) and where clubs can be owned by despotic murderous dictatorships, bankrupt business men stripping the club of its assets, convicted criminals, or tax evading shysters who are best friends with other despotic murderous dictators. And in rugby you've got a situation where slimy little fcuks like Nigel Wray are destroying the game not alone in their own country, but in neighbouring countries because they want to make a fast buck out of the clubs they own, and don't give two shíts about the game in which they operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

What's wrong is the GAA is supposed to be an amateur sport yet expects people to pay for it on ppv Sky TV. unlike pro sports GAA players are not paid so the deal is not about being able to afford to pay players. Soccer and Rugby been open to Croker was fine and i have no problem with Croker being used to host concerts. My problem is GAA is meant to be our national sport and an amateur game it's selling out by forcing people to pay for Sky to watch it. The money won't even go to the players it will go to lining the pockets of the clowns in headquarters.

GAA may be an amateur sport but there is nothing remotely amateur about the organisation. We all know there are plenty of support staff, doctors, physios strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists and psychologists etc.. all charging plenty for their services. Plenty of well paid administrators and a fair few intercounty players employed by the GAA as well.

But I really do admire the top brass for the business model they have going.
    Paying everyone except the performers is a brilliant setup for as long as they can keep it going and all the time they are adding to the revenue generating capacity of the organisation - Croke Park hotel, change from single to multi sponsor and the SKY deal is just the latest moneyspinner.

BTW I don't advocate paying players because I think it is not affordable and if the players are happy enough to continue with the status quo then I think its a great arrangement for the GAA in general.

Also if they can keep the present arrangement whereby inter county teams largely fund themselves (and struggle to do so) with local sponsorship, player fund raising and supporters clubs etc.. and the TV money, main sponsors and the Croke Park revenues can be used mainly for grassroots and for upgrading stadia and other investment then this too will keep things commercially strong for the GAA.
    But as the product becomes increasingly "professional" and the revenues generated centrally increase you have to wonder if the inter county teams will at some stage demand a larger share for themselves in order to cover the cost of preparing the teams or for some sort of additional compensation for the players.

I suppose none of ye who are praising this move to a company owned by a criminal as "brave" and "progressive" have seen what's happened to both soccer and rugby in England since Sky got their hooks in to those games over the last couple of decades. In soccer what used be an egalitarian situation where the big clubs helped out the little clubs and the grassroots got significant support from the FA has turned into a situation where the top twenty clubs get all the money (with even a big divide at the top between the big and small), where the grassroots are dying a slow death (there's been a loss of c. 500,000 people playing soccer since 2005) and where clubs can be owned by despotic murderous dictatorships, bankrupt business men stripping the club of its assets, convicted criminals, or tax evading shysters who are best friends with other despotic murderous dictators. And in rugby you've got a situation where slimy little fcuks like Nigel Wray are destroying the game not alone in their own country, but in neighbouring countries because they want to make a fast buck out of the clubs they own, and don't give two shíts about the game in which they operate.

rubbuish they have opend the coverage to all expats world wide that would normaly have been charged well over the odds to see there county play .......but screw them i sopose

i couldnt tell you who was running premier sports last year but they had the same world wide package as what sky have now , the only diffrence is we in ireland will be able to see all the games they cover "Unlike Last Year"

so i dont know what else to say other then is this a gripe against rupert murdock who like yourself i dislike, or the fact the gaa " sold out" .......in fairness that happens every week where the guy selling the flags , pulling the pints , driveing the bus, the guy cooking the burgers all make money of the backs of amateur players and put nothing back into the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Premier Spots have announced they'll be showing 26 games exclusively in the UK.

The GAA made a bit of a mistake here I think. Should have done a deal for Sky to show all of the games in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Press release here - http://www.premiersports.tv/gaa/gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

In fairness that's quite an exaggeration...have a look at English football in 1990 from non league up...not exactly a healthy game...contrast that with
    now...Sky's impact on the game has been largely positive. Clubs outside the Premier League struggle due to financial mismanagement, building stadiums/buying players they can't afford...hardly Sky's fault. Also Sky didn't draw up the FA's 'Fit and Proper Person' test, the FA did that themselves.

So really the problems in English football are largely down to the FA rather than Sky Sports. One thing I do know though...is that Sky has succeeded in making the Premier League one of England's most successful exports so it should be welcomed, more exposure for Gaelic Games is a great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭G1032

mikeym wrote: »
    So basically if you subscribe to Sky and dont have the sports channels you will have to pay €36 a month on top of what your paying already to watch the exclusive Gaa matches on Sky Sports 3.

Depends. If matches are on SS1 you can subscribe to SS1 for €17 per month. No Sports 2,3 or 4 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    Not quite 'all things'.

With two All Ireland medals, a league title, six All Stars as a player and a further All Ireland and two leagues for Tipp as a manager, I would say the GAA and English have a very good history ! ;)

The ban on English sports being played in GAA stadia and a bit further back, the ban on people playing soccer if they wanted to play GAA.

So the GAA are now dealing with a British tv station. You couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

bruschi wrote: »
    some of the arguments here and the over exaggeration of the situation is amazing. People saying they wont pay their club membership over 14 games being on sky. What about the other 45 games or so that arent being shown at all on any station? why arent people whinging about not being able to see them either?

2 All-Ireland quarter-finals is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

This strawman argument is a disgrace... Every time he is asked a question about selling the games to Sky he responds by saying "this is a great day, we are making the games available to Irish people abroad who never had the opportunity to see the games before"... Nobody would have a problem with letting the Irish abroad see the games that is not what they have a problem with. They have a problem with the fact that they are now restricting people from being able to see their own county's matches, and the GAA are profiting by doing so...

The two quarter finals that are being sold to Sky will probably be sold out, so his argument that "ohhh, the real GAA fan will be there" wont cut it if they cant get a ticket... Never mind the young fans or the disabled...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

donegal11 wrote: »
    Tv3 offered decent/similar money but apparently the opportunity to go with sky is to test the water into the future meaning the whole championship could go behind the paywall if the price is right.

That would require the Government to change the law regarding the list of 'free to air sports' which is very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

For all of the talk about bringing 16 year olds into pubs to watch their own county...how about bringing them to the game?

Your man on Prime Time here talking about high prices, I paid €55 for a Rabo ticket last Saturday. An AI final ticket is €80.

This strawman argument is a disgrace... Every time he is asked a question about selling the games to Sky he responds by saying "this is a great day, we are making the games available to Irish people abroad who never had the opportunity to see the games before"... Nobody would have a problem with letting the Irish abroad see the games that is not what they have a problem with. They have a problem with the fact that they are now restricting people from being able to see their own county's matches, and the GAA are profiting by doing so...

The two quarter finals that are being sold to Sky will probably be sold out, so his argument that "ohhh, the real GAA fan will be there" wont cut it if they cant get a ticket... Never mind the young fans or the disabled...

No matter how real a GAA fan is, they will generally only attend their own countys match with maybe a few more thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The GAA made a bit of a mistake here I think. Should have done a deal for Sky to show all of the games in the UK.
    Thats good news for the GAA heads in Britain as they'll have the full compliment if games, plus some which aren't shown in Ireland by any channel should London go on a run again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Forcing supporters into pubs to buy expensive drink and passing it onto Ruperts pocket.

No more watching big matches in the comfort of you own home on a Sunday after the spuds unless you can afford Sky sports. This was one of the most enjoyable things we had as "a people" in Ireland and a HUGE social part of our lives..gone now to the commercial vultures.

Most people only have the terestrial channels and maybe a few free to air satellite channels, as theres a recession on!! for jaysas sake.

There will be loadsa vexxed supporters...or as the hurlers say there will be timbering

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB6j_JkH0Nj0gkBLN0UvqmqePYV7hFwrJ9AC7z9uWIDUfDaCPQ

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

What games are being 'shut down' to domestic audiences ?

Name one.

Just one.

I take it you missed the 14 games that Sky will have the right to show exclusively;

GAA press release (http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-video...ress-release/);

Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games.
    These consist of eight Saturday evening matches in the All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland football championship quarter-finals, and two Saturday evening and two Sunday provincial championship games. In addition to these 14 games, Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals, thus making 20 live games available to its subscribers throughout Britain and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Forcing supporters into pubs to buy expensive drink and passing it onto Ruperts pocket.

No more watching big matches in the comfort of you own home on a Sunday after the spuds unless you can afford Sky sports. This was one of the most enjoyable things we had as "a people" in Ireland and a HUGE social part of our lives..gone now to the commercial vultures.

Most people only have the terestrial channels and maybe a few free to air satellite channels, as theres a recession on!! for jaysas sake.

There will be loadsa vexxed supporters...or as the hurlers say there will be timbering

The majority of games will still be available FTA. 8 of the sky games will be Saturday evening qualifiers which RTE paid little or no attention to in any case.

The doomsayers said 20 years ago that allowing sponsors on jerseys would be the end of the GAA and the world didn't end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

A solid argument can be made that the Rugby provinces need the money to keep the best players in the country, they pay professional wages and need to maximise all revenue streams. All games involving Ireland are shown free to air.

Not true. The summer tours are live and exclusive on Sky.

And the IRFU contract the best players in the country.

I take it you missed the 14 games that Sky will have the right to show exclusively;

GAA press release (http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-video...ress-release/);

Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games.
    These consist of eight Saturday evening matches in the All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland football championship quarter-finals, and two Saturday evening and two Sunday provincial championship games. In addition to these 14 games, Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals, thus making 20 live games available to its subscribers throughout Britain and Ireland.[/QUOTE)

its 8 games its hardly the end of the world?

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Not true. The summer tours are live and exclusive on Sky.

And the IRFU contract the best players in the country.

Rugby is a professional organisation. I don't see why a comparison should be drawn with the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

its 8 games its hardly the end of the world?

It will be interesting to see what happens if Sky get the Dublin quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

The amount of insular panic on this thread is ridiculous, it just looks so backward that people are against this, it's a completely no loss situation for anyone. I wonder if it was an American or French channel would people be as irked... I mean how many people don't have a Sky subscription nowadays anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The majority of games will still be available FTA. 8 of the sky games will be Saturday evening qualifiers which RTE paid little or no attention to in any case.

The doomsayers said 20 years ago that allowing sponsors on jerseys would be the end of the GAA and the world didn't end.

The big games (semi-finals, finals etc.) draw most of the audience and therefore will end up vexxing loads of people when they start to realise this ahead of the matches

This isn't the same as advertising on jerseys, it digs way deeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The amount of insular panic on this thread is ridiculous, it just looks so backward that people are against this, it's a completely no loss situation for anyone. I wonder if it was an American or French channel would people be as irked... I mean how many people don't have a Sky subscription nowadays anyway?

The majority of people who subscribe to Sky do not subscribe to Sky Sports.

How is it a no loss situation for anyone? What rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

There's a dfference between not paying to watch a game on TV and having it 'shut down' to domestic audiences.

And why exactly should the games be free to view. What makes the GAA different from other sports in this regard?

I'm actually looking forward to RTÉ getting some serious competition at last.

No disprespect to TG4 and TV3 but they could never put it up to the national broadcaster.

Hopefully this move will put it up to them and shake off their traditionally reverential and parochial attitude to the sport.

To me there's not a difference. Previously said 14 games were shown on free to air tv, now they're not. That is shutting people out of our 'national' games to me.

As for why the games should be free to view, there are a myriad number of reasons, but seeing as non of them are monetary ones, I suspect they received little heed from Messrs Duffy & co.

There are many good aspects to this deal, but the exclusivity of some of the games undoes it all for me.

The big games (semi-finals, finals etc.) draw most of the audience and therefore will end up vexxing loads of people when they start to realise this ahead of the matches

AI semi finals and finals are FTA. 25 years ago only 6 GAA championship games were on TV? What did people do then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

For all of the talk about bringing 16 year olds into pubs to watch their own county...how about bringing them to the game?

Your man on Prime Time here talking about high prices, I paid €55 for a Rabo ticket last Saturday. An AI final ticket is €80.

Not sure what your point is here?

one is a sport which is professional and which down the years has been marketed towards a wealthier crowd.

the other is an amateur sport where the players don't get paid, it's a grass root organisation with volunteers all over the country.

The GAA are all about making money - we have seen this down the years and what is stopping them from selling the AI final in 3 years time if the price is right from sky?

To me there's not a difference. Previously said 14 games were shown on free to air tv, now they're not. That is shutting people out of our 'national' games to me.

As for why the games should be free to view, there are a myriad number of reasons, but seeing as non of them are monetary ones, I suspect they received little heed from Messrs Duffy & co.

There are many good aspects to this deal, but the exclusivity of some of the games undoes it all for me.

Exclusivity of 2 All-Ireland quarter finals is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

AI semi finals and finals are FTA. 25 years ago only 6 GAA championship games were on TV? What did people do then?

probably didn't have a TV so listened on the radio

you say there are all FTA, what happens if SKY offer big money in 3 years time for exclusive rights?

If there wanted to showcase the games why didn't say sell some of the league games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

how much off all the sky money will the player get?
    I think we no the answner to that

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

It can't be long now before Serge Blatter is President of the GAA, he'd be right at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

My concern here would be that the GAA does indeed build an audience through Sky and then when contracts come up for renewal Sky say, we want more, what then? Pauric Duffy's first answer using the word 'intend' was a bit worrying when he was asked about it.
    Sky will want more games to finish the domination of Irish TV, that is how they work.
    In a sense, the GAA and it's members are now doing Rupert's dirty work.
    Wrongheaded move.

they are only showing the same rounds as premier sports did last year whats the problem ? at least we might have some chance of watching them this year

[/QUOTE]It will be interesting to see what happens if Sky get the Dublin quarter final[/QUOTE]

as seen with setanta in the league they will probabley get a few extra in , a sell out if they meet tyrone , mayo or kerry, 55,000 plus for any one else as usual i would think , the dubs are like any other county really there attendances will increase as they progress

Ace2007 wrote: »
    probably didn't have a TV so listened on the radio

you say there are all FTA, what happens if SKY offer big money in 3 years time for exclusive rights?

If there wanted to showcase the games why didn't say sell some of the league games?

So 25 years ago people had no TV... Really? And as for league games? The GAA can barely get a few thousand people to go to those as is even at €10 a ticket. Hardly a showcase.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    My concern here would be that the GAA does indeed build an audience through Sky and then when contracts come up for renewal Sky say, we want more, what then? Pauric Duffy's first answer using the word 'intend' was a bit worrying when he was asked about it.
    Sky will want more games to finish the domination of Irish TV, that is how they work.
    In a sense, the GAA and it's members are now doing Rupert's dirty work.
    Wrongheaded move.

they would have to out bid premier sports for the rte/tg4/setanta games in order to get more games as they would be there main international competitor i would imagine

naughto wrote: »

How much of the RTE money over the years did players get?? Silly argument. The GAA returns the majority of its revenues to clubs by way of grants etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm not sure why there's some sort of assumption that all games should be available on terrestrial tv just because it's the GAA and it's a thundering disgrace that they're not.

You would also swear that it's only Sky who are paying for the rights to listen to some. I don't get the argument for paying players a fee now just because it's Sky paying the GAA compared to if TV3 were paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/
    "Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals"

GAA sold out on its fans very bad move :/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

have the games that will be shown live been released yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm not sure why there's some sort of assumption that all games should be available on terrestrial tv just because it's the GAA and it's a thundering disgrace that they're not.

You would also swear that it's only Sky who are paying for the rights to listen to some. I don't get the argument for paying players a fee now just because it's Sky paying the GAA compared to if TV3 were paying.
    people are complaining because of the differences in what you/me/we pay to watch Sky compared to what you/me/we pay to watch TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/
    "Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals"

GAA sold out on its fans very bad move :/

Not exclusively though!!!

I'm not overly bothered about Sky taking a few Saturday evening qualifiers even though I am worried about where it will all stop once Sky have their foot in the door, but 2 All-Ireland q-finals is poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but:

How is coverage of the QF's decided? Do rte have first shout? Or do sky? Or is it a lottery?

• Advertisement

how much money do inarod eirean , bus eirean, barrys hotell ,the greshem, ect, all who make hundereds of thousands if not millions of gaa matches in croke park yearly and yet fail to put a single cent back in to the game the least they could do is contribute in some small way to players holliday funds for bringing the fans to there door steps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus H Christ - How many flipping times?

Where were you for the last 52 years asking how much of the RTÉ TV money the players got, or from TV3 over the last 6 years?

There is nothing new with the organisation doing deals with TV stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

How much of the RTE money over the years did players get?? Silly argument. The GAA returns the majority of its revenues to clubs by way of grants etc.
    thats what iam getting at they have to start paying if there getting big money for the rights.
    the gaa does provide grants but not half enough,did they say they made 54million profit last yr.if they made so much profit why are selling out to sky,the gaa saying its to expand there audiance is a load of boll0x
    it all about money end off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

drkpower wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but:

How is coverage of the QF's decided? Do rte have first shout? Or do sky? Or is it a lottery?
    I think it's RTE choose one, then Sky, then RTE then Sky get the last. Think that's how it worked previously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

I have to say I'm disgusted with the GAA. I'd never thought I'd see the day they would sell out to ppv TV. its a blatant two fingers to their home audience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement