Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky eye up the All Ireland championship matches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0104141419-media-rights-press-release/
    "Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals"

GAA sold out on its fans very bad move :/

semi finals and finals from both codes are on rte aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Happyman42 wrote: »
    My concern here would be that the GAA does indeed build an audience through Sky and then when contracts come up for renewal Sky say, we want more, what then? Pauric Duffy's first answer using the word 'intend' was a bit worrying when he was asked about it.
    Sky will want more games to finish the domination of Irish TV, that is how they work.
    In a sense, the GAA and it's members are now doing Rupert's dirty work.
    Wrongheaded move.

Very much agreed. I can only see two reasons for Sky having any exclusive games, one that the GAA are testing the waters to look at moving to more pay tv deals in the future, or two they got strongarmed by Sky who demanded some exclusive rights in order to make the deal. Neither strike a particularly great chord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think it's RTE choose one, then Sky, then RTE then Sky get the last. Think that's how it worked previously anyway.

So RTE will get the Dublin game if they get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So 25 years ago people had no TV... Really? And as for league games? The GAA can barely get a few thousand people to go to those as is even at €10 a ticket. Hardly a showcase.

I don't know what the TV situation was like 25 years ago, but I imagine there wasn't as much shown back then - you say there were 6 games, well then people weren't missing out.

Now it is a case well you had it for free, if you want to watch it in future you have to get sky - which could be over 500 a year more.

Regarding showcase - Mayo Dublin game was a cracker of a game, likewise I heard the tipp V cork game was good, so for you to say there aren't showcase is false -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

GAA sold out on its fans very bad move :/

So the hundreds of thousands of fans living abroad don't count then eh?

Never mind the thoudands of players abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

have the games that will be shown live been released yet?
    No. Sure deal only announced this week. Will be few weeks before they will be released.
    drkpower wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but:

How is coverage of the QF's decided? Do rte have first shout? Or do sky? Or is it a lottery?
    will assume RTE will get first and third picks. Highly doubt it will be a lottery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

naughto wrote: »
    thats what iam getting at they have to start paying if there getting big money for the rights.
    the gaa does provide grants but not half enough,did they say they made 54million profit last yr.if they made so much profit why are selling out to sky,the gaa saying its to expand there audiance is a load of boll0x
    it all about money end off

Revenue does not equal profit. They generated €55m in revenues but the organization doesn't run on thin air ya know

omega666 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm disgusted with the GAA. I'd never thought I'd see the day they would sell out to ppv TV. its a blatant two fingers to their home audience.

Eh GAA games have been on pay tv on Setanta for the last decade! Why weren't you outraged then?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

we all know Sky will want the big games this is foot in the door next they make them pay per view
    Watch just like GAA promised max 3 concerts a year its now 8 so far this year
    They will sell us out Grab All Association they not thinking of the real supporters
    How many old people cant afford or dont want Sky they are the 1s that going be hit worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There is now more games than ever available to a bigger than ever world audience. All levels of the game from the club championships to league matches to the All Ireland football finals are now available on some platform. If people are unhappy with Sky having some of these games and not RTE are they also unhappy with TG4(broadcast in the national language that the majority cant speak fluently), Setanta Sports, Premier Sports, Channel 7 as maybe people think you should use the pay to use online platform being set up by RTE and the GAA or maybe that isnt good enough because not everyone is computer literate.

If your in Ireland and cant watch the game on Sky, go the pub, cant go to the pub go to a friends house that has sky, if you have no friends listen to the match on the radio! Are people ever happy in Ireland. Always something to moan about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Lapin wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ - How many flipping times?

Where were you for the last 52 years asking how much of the RTÉ TV money the players got, or from TV3 over the last 6 years?

There is nothing new with the organisation doing deals with TV stations.
    i no they have being doing deals with tv stations but when you bring sky in to and pay per view it a total different ball game.
    when itwas rte/tv 3 it was free to air.they have 14 games this yr what about next yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

omega666 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm disgusted with the GAA. I'd never thought I'd see the day they would sell out to ppv TV. its a blatant two fingers to their home audience.

never taught you would see the day? ......... wtf

how many games have setanta showed over the past 5 years on ppv tv or prier sports ,

this is starting to get out of hand now!!! everything is starting to become over exaggerated now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

They should show all the sky exclusive matches on big screen at the local gaa clubs around the country. Would keep the kids out of the pub and it would stimulate more interest in the clubs, maybe even generating more interest.

Whole thing is a storm in a teacup really.

Will they have to pay a subscription to watch these games?
    If they were so concerned about these people there could have shows the games live on a player online.

No. Sure deal only announced this week. Will be few weeks before they will be released.
    will assume RTE will get first and third picks. Highly doubt it will be a lottery

You assume Sky paid big bucks to let RTE boss them around?

we all know Sky will want the big games this is foot in the door next they make them pay per view
    Watch just like GAA promised max 3 concerts a year its now 8 so far this year
    They will sell us out Grab All Association they not thinking of the real supporters
    How many old people cant afford or dont want Sky they are the 1s that going be hit worse

They'll have 31 games to watch FTA versus 40 last season. It's not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Very much agreed. I can only see two reasons for Sky having any exclusive games, one that the GAA are testing the waters to look at moving to more pay tv deals in the future, or two they got strongarmed by Sky who demanded some exclusive rights in order to make the deal. Neither strike a particularly great chord.

Actually didn't look closely at this when I heard it first. It was Duffy's clear discomfort that has me worried. He is normally very cool and collected and on top of things.
    Clearly there is a financial wing in Croke Park that seem to get their way when it comes down to money.. The fan is pushed to side and fobbed off with 'it's for the good of the game' platitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Pretty sure this is in the public realm. Sky have Quarter final Leinster Winner v Qualifier & Ulster Winner v Qualifier

Revenue does not equal profit. They generated €55m in revenues but the organization doesn't run on thin air ya know
    so you think the gaa made a loss last yr?
    have you being to many games in croke park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Regarding showcase - Mayo Dublin game was a cracker of a game, likewise I heard the tipp V cork game was good, so for you to say there aren't showcase is false -
    The Mayo-Dublin game last weekend was a great game as have a few others that have been on Setanta this year. Won't hear anything about those not being free-to-air though as they're only the league and sure nobody cares unless it's the middle of the summer....

• Advertisement

so you think the gaa made a lose last yr?
    have you being to many games in croke park?

Wtf? Where did I say they made a loss? And yes I go to plenty of games in Crocker, being from Cork means I have attended a LOT of games in both codes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

drkpower wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but:

How is coverage of the QF's decided? Do rte have first shout? Or do sky? Or is it a lottery?

According to the Irish Times

"The two quarter-finals shown by the channel will involved the Leinster and Ulster champions against teams coming through the qualifying series."

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Eh GAA games have been on pay tv on Setanta for the last decade! Why weren't you outraged then?

Because that was only the league, sure who'd be bothered with that. Unfortunately the GAA only becomes fashionable for some people between June and September :-)

Just on this part - if you read into the story more you will find the below
    in a major new departure, Channel 7 will show all 45 live championship games free to air in Australia.

A further expansion of coverage for Irish people living abroad is reflected in a new online streaming service - a joint venture between the GAA and RTÉ Digital - which will allow supporters living in the U.S and worldwide access to all games televised live in Ireland via the internet on PC, desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones and other connected devices. Games will be streamed in high quality HD and subscribers to this service will also be able to view The Sunday Game.

So the GAA have shown they don't need sky, but they saw the money and took it - 5/10 years down the line, AI Final will only be on SKy.

Whole thing is a storm in a teacup really.

Not really. What happens when RTE has the finals, and Sky has everything else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is in the public realm. Sky have Quarter final Leinster Winner v Qualifier & Ulster Winner v Qualifier
    So the poor old Donegal pensioners who have slaved away all their lives washing jerseys, lining pitches and making sandwiches won't be able to watch our QF at all :(

• Advertisement

Wtf? Where did I say they made a loss? And yes I go to plenty of games in Crocker, being from Cork means I have attended a LOT of games in both codes there.

"Revenue does not equal profit" is what you said if there not making a profit what are they making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So the poor old Donegal pensioners who have slaved away all their lives washing jerseys, lining pitches and making sandwiches won't be able to watch our QF at all :(

You won't be the Ulster champions, they'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Not really. What happens when RTE has the finals, and Sky has everything else ?

I suppose we'll all have to decide whether we want to pay a few quid to watch great entertainment at home or not. Otherwise find somewhere else to watch the games. All that said, I don't think it will come to that.

"Revenue does not equal profit" is what you said if there not making a profit what are they making?

Okay you're getting a bit confused. You said they made a profit of 54m last year wherein they actually turned over 54m. I was simply pointing out turnover does not equal profit. Then you went off on a tangent claiming i said they made a loss. Here click on this link. It might clear up your confusion Linky

I suppose we'll all have to decide whether we want to pay a few quid to watch great entertainment at home or not. Otherwise find somewhere else to watch the games. All that said, I don't think it will come to that.

a few quid? as it up to 700? and what's stopping sky increase the sports package for Irish viewers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just on this part - if you read into the story more you will find the below
    So the GAA have shown they don't need sky, but they saw the money and took it - 5/10 years down the line, AI Final will only be on SKy.
    The central guys in GAA HQ certainly think we are better off with Sky and id agree and no down the line the AI Final will not be on Sky. Highlights or shared coverage but RTE will always have the AI Finals with the government legislation protecting that.
    That's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The sense of entitlement on here is absolutely staggering.

If you are indeed a GAA member (I doubt a lot of people moaning here actually are) then put a motion to your club at their next AGM that the GAA cannot sign deals with pay TV stations.

Once passed by the club, it will go to congress and get voted upon.

I seriously doubt it would get voted through though as delegates realise there is more to this deal than meets the eye and that the GAA shouldn't be dictated to by blow ins who only watch championship matches and who haven't been to a club game in their lives.

Okay you're getting a bit confused. You said they made a profit of 54m last year wherein they actually turned over 54m. I was simply pointing out turnover does not equal profit. Then you went off on a tangent claiming i said they made a loss. Here click on this link. It might clear up your confusion Linky

what do they mean by the rental - does the GAA now own all the grounds?
    The single biggest cost incurred each year is the direct cost of staging games and competitions. The single biggest factor here is the venue rental paid to the host venue

a few quid? as it up to 700? and what's stopping sky increase the sports package for Irish viewers now.

Nothing, they are a commercial entity. Of course as the consumer you have a choice not to pay. No one is forcing you to get Sky.

To be honest, I don't share your optimism. In fact with the door open to all possibilities now, the only thing stopping Sky from taking over most of the coverage, is whether they decide they want it or not. If it comes down to a straight bid, we all know who would be the winner (and the losers), and I have no reason to have any faith Duffy & co value anything other than the colour of the money on the table.

The central guys in GAA HQ certainly think we are better off with Sky and id agree and no down the line the AI Final will not be on Sky. Highlights or shared coverage but RTE will always have the AI Finals with the government legislation protecting that.
    That's not going to happen.

you trust government legislation? money talks, In a few years time Sky be will dictating when games are played if the $$$ is right.

They have already secured the Quarter final which more than likely will involved Dublin, that match will be close to sold out, therefore how is someone going to watch that game?

what do they mean by the rental - does the GAA now own all the grounds?

Central council does not own each individual county ground. The County Boards do. They obviously get a cut from the gate receipts for staging games at their stadium. This money also gets filtered down through the system to various clubs and also goes to support the costs of trainings various inter-county panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Because that was only the league, sure who'd be bothered with that. Unfortunately the GAA only becomes fashionable for some people between June and September :-)
    Some people lose interest in the GAA between June and September when teams fail to live up to the expectancy of some fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The sense of entitlement on here is absolutely staggering.

If you are indeed a GAA member (I doubt a lot of people moaning here actually are) then put a motion to your club at their next AGM that the GAA cannot sign deals with pay TV stations.

Once passed by the club, it will go to congress and get voted upon.

I seriously doubt it would get voted through though as delegates realise there is more to this deal than meets the eye and that the GAA shouldn't be dictated to by blow ins who only watch championship matches and who haven't been to a club game in their lives.

I am a GAA member and I feel that I should be entitled to watch the All-Ireland quarter-finals on free-to-air TV and I can't see what's so staggering about that.

Nothing, they are a commercial entity. Of course as the consumer you have a choice not to pay. No one is forcing you to get Sky.

I have Sky, I go to most games anyway ,this deal will not affect me directly, but if will affect thousands around the country, there reason being mention for the deal are proving wrong each time -

Channel 7 will show 45 lives game for free in Australlia
    They have set up an online live fee with RTE to stream matches live across the world.

Therefore the only people that will see the games on Sky are either a) people that can't go to the games and there buy the package.

b) someone who has sky already and happens to come across it.

Your not going to have some chap living in England decide on wait I'll pay sky to watch the game instead watching it for free online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

robbiezero wrote: »
    I am a GAA member and I feel that I should be entitled to watch the All-Ireland quarter-finals on free-to-air TV and I can't see what's so staggering about that.

Why? Genuine question.

robbiezero wrote: »

What about the Saturday night league games on Setanta. Why aren't anyone up in arms about that deal considering its going about 10 years now.

Its too late this year, but propose your club puts forward a rules amendment for annual congress that all championship matches if shown in Ireland, must be shown on FTA TV. It really isn't that difficult to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im very disappointed with this news.I try to go to as many Cork matches as i can in both hurling and football but i like to record the match so i can watch it when i get home and analyze things in the comfort of my own home.There could be a big qualifier or all ireland football quarter final involving Cork that i won't be able to record.I just haven't got the money to be shelling out on a 47 euros increase per month on my UPC bill to subscribe for the right to watch 14 GAA matches on Sky.Yet over in Australia you can watch all the action on Channel 7 which is a free view station.:rolleyes:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

What about the Saturday night league games on Setanta. Why aren't anyone up in arms about that deal considering its going about 10 years now.

Its too late this year, but propose your club puts forward a rules amendment for annual congress that all championship matches if shown in Ireland, must be shown on FTA TV. It really isn't that difficult to do.

If my team is in the qualifier I will go to the match. I don't particularly mind if one of a number of other qualifier matches on a Saturday night is pay per view. But I do feel aggrieved about 2 of the biggest matches of the year being PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

I urge all intercounty players and teams to inform their respective county boards that they will not partake this year or any other year in intercounty championship games until sky have been shown the door.

There should be a walkout now.

Sam Jam wrote: »
    I urge all intercounty players and teams to inform their respective county boards that they will not partake this year or any other year in intercounty championship games until sky have been shown the door.

Why?

Why? Genuine question.

It is an amateur largely voluntary community-oriented organisation and I don't believe that 2 of the biggest games in its calendar should be PPV. I'm not totally against games being PPV just not two quarter finals.

I take it you missed the 14 games that Sky will have the right to show exclusively;

No I didn't miss that at all.

I just think you seem to confuse 'exclusively' with not available in Ireland when you use words like 'shut down to demestic audiences'.

All the games are still available to watch in Ireland.

Oh FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

:confused: pretty big request without a single reason why they should in your post!

Advertisement