Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smells your pets love or hate

• 27-03-2014 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I bought a new hand salve that's just extra virgin olive oil and beeswax and my cats are going nuts for it. As soon as I walk into the room the noses start twitching and one of them will try to lick my hands. I was using Sanctuary hand cream but Poppy hates it. If I put it on while she's on the bed she gives me a disgusted look and leaves the room:D

So I'm just curious, what smells do your pets love or hate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I bought a new hand salve that's just extra virgin olive oil and beeswax and my cats are going nuts for it. As soon as I walk into the room the noses start twitching and one of them will try to lick my hands. I was using Sanctuary hand cream but Poppy hates it. If I put it on while she's on the bed she gives me a disgusted look and leaves the room:D

So I'm just curious, what smells do your pets love or hate?

Cigarettes! Twitchy noses and sneezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Lemons! Runs when she smells them. I think it stems back to when she tried to eat one only to get a bitter bitter taste! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Lemons and limes. It's so bad that if my husband says the word "lime" poor Harley legs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If cream smells anything vinegary or very strong like perfume he pukes. It's quite funny, he will approach it all happy, give a big sniff, snarl at it, reverse and retch! Then he comes back to smell it again -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Staffie seems to not be fazed by any smells. In fact, the stronger or more pungent the smell, the more she seems to relish it (and want to eat it :()

I know when my child has a dirty nappy now, the dog starts following her around and sniffing her bum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

My cat loathes citrus, like most cats.

As for attractive smells, roast chicken or any of her cat food pouches being opened. The oddest one is vanilla. I had a cherry and vanilla jam from M&S and, every time I used it, herself would be all over the counter top sniffing away like mad. Normally she won't ever jump up there but, vanilla-scented jam and she's right there. However, I bought some vanilla essence, thinking to put a drop on her favourite toys but she paid it no mind at all. Cats eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

My dog goes nuts if i'm having a tuna sandwich. She knows she will get the juice and leftovers

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

flowers!! my dog constantly sticks his head in flowers and bushes in the summer.........despite the fact he gets allergies and spends his time sneezing and red-eyed!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Our last hamster Isabella used to go mad for the smell of soluble solpadeine! If there was a glass with remnants in when she was free ranging she'd try get in.

She succeeded once. Put the heart crossways in me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our last hamster Isabella used to go mad for the smell of soluble solpadeine! If there was a glass with remnants in when she was free ranging she'd try get in.

She succeeded once. Put the heart crossways in me!
    I use a lot of that(on prescription) and I'm almost paranoid about rinsing out the glass when I've had some, just to be safe.

• Advertisement

I use a lot of that(on prescription) and I'm almost paranoid about rinsing out the glass when I've had some, just to be safe.

Yeah, it's something I'm wary of. She was a bit the same with 7up too. Little weirdo.

Twitch doesn't really have anything like that... He's keen on cheese but I don't know if the smell plays a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My mother sometimes uses Vick's Vapor Rub to clear out her sinuses. One day, her orange tabby decided she wanted a sniff of it, so she rambled over and gave it a big sniff. Almost immediately, her back arch all the way up, she hissed something fierce and ran away and hid under the bed for a few hours.

My mother sometimes uses Vick's Vapor Rub to clear out her sinuses. One day, her orange tabby decided she wanted a sniff of it, so she rambled over and gave it a big sniff. Almost immediately, her back arch all the way up, she hissed something fierce and ran away and hid under the bed for a few hours.
    Mine hate it too. I use it sometimes and it's one way of gettting some leg room in the bed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think there are any unusual smells our cats hate but they can smell a packet of cheese being opened from as far away as next door's garden :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

After I come back from a long run, my cat will bury herself in my armpit! :D Not a big sweater but I'm sure I give off a certain smell. She goes mad over it, rolling around on my stomach and then eventually she will settle her head on my armpit or shoulder area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

My dog seems fascinated by other dogs' toilet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My dog Josh goes for anything food related, that dog would eat the world if I let him.

He HATES the smell of whiskey. I was having a shot one night and he (of course) wanted whatever I was eating (in his mind).. so I let him take a whiff of it and he sneezed on and off for a minute and now avoids it like the plague. When I cook he loves to sit and watch me, right up to the point I put the spices into a curry... then he leaves and goes outside. Weirdly though, he doesnt see bothered by chilli and in fact likes a good hot chilli sauce on chicken, smacks his lips for ages afterwards which is comic (though I dont let him have much of it cos I dunno if dogs and spices mix well... anyone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

When I open the jar for my porridge, my dog goes berszerk

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

My dog hates nail varnish remover. If you use it anywhere near her, she hops up and down and starts rubbing her nose on a cushion. She can be a bit dramatic :P

Alun wrote: »
    I don't think there are any unusual smells our cats hate but they can smell a packet of cheese being opened from as far away as next door's garden :)
    I think that's more of a psychic link:) My husband can make any amount of noise in the kitchen and our 4 cats stay asleep wherever they are in the house. But I only have to start thinking about making dinner and they all suddenly appear, before I've even opened the fridge:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Cocoa Butter! Dog goes mad for it. As fast as I slap it on, he tries to lick it off...

The smell of pork he also loves - goes with the eating of. You know, ham, sausages, pork chops, bacon...:D

He also instinctively knows when I'm making mashed potato. He no longer expends energy waiting whilst I mash. But he'll appear, the minute I start serving. The dog will then run his nose up the back of my leg as a gentle reminder he's waiting for his share!

Mine do the funniest thing with foods they don't like. They'll sniff it and start to walk away and as they leave it behind they shake a back leg at it as if to say 'filth':D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, my cats used to do that!

I had forgotten we had a golden lab years ago called Nero. Best dog ever, but h'ed always beg for food. Being the 80's he used to get leftovers. One day my mam made a curry so hot none of us could eat it (she'd measured the curry powder in tablespoons instead of teaspoons!!!) and when we put it down for Nero he took one lick, backed off and barked at the plate for a solid 5 minutes!

He wasn't too quick to beg for scraps for a while after that if I remember correctly.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Bob's a whiskey hater... My dad is fond of a drop the odd evening, and its got to the stage where when Bob sees my dad go to the booze press he gets up and leaves the room!

He absolutely loves his own fleece blanket, once he's slept on it for about a week, he starts to drag it round with him and pull it round the house, and its only after he's slept on it, if its straight from the wash he doesn't care... the only thing we can figure is that he likes it after it gets a bit smelly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Nivea creme. There's no point putting it on until he's safely in bed because I'll just end up with JRT spit all over my face instead of moisturiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Teddy is obsessed with the flowers my mum got for Mothers day, he keeps wandering over for a good sniff every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Chocolate flavoured beeswax lip balm :rolleyes:

Its a 50/50 love/hate thing with my dog Kali....
    She loves chocolate so that's utterly facinating to her that I smell of chocolate ALL the time - but yet she never catches me actually eating any! :rolleyes:
    Yet she's also terrified of it - I think its the beeswax that she can smell the bees from it. She had an encounter with some bee's as a pup - she found a nest of them I wasn't even aware of and got a small sting on the snout - thankfully she was fine - bar an ouchy snout I'm sure - but the experience never left her! If she hears buzzing - even a fly she'll get away from it just to be sure! And she's the same reaction to this lip balm - wants the chocolate but scared of the bees :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

One of our cats love the smell of newly washed hair (if you used any shampoo then so much better esp. Lusch); once it's washed she'll be rubbing her head all over it for as long as we let her and she'll even bite it and lick it. Same with moisturising creams; she'll lick my wife's face off once she put it on given an oppertunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The Vicks inhaler stick :D
    Once I put the stick on the table, open and standing. My cat got near to it, smelled it and made a grin I will never forget :D
    Since then, every time she sees it something of the same size standing on the table she gets close to it enough to stretch her paw and throw it away.

Advertisement