Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭

Started last night - 10th series!! Love a bit of John and Greg!:D
    First show was actually really good imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Yeah - recorded it and watched in this evening.

It's a slick production compared to the Irish one.

Not sure there was a winner in that first show.

Looking forward to tonight's programme.

Will be out for tomorrow night's QF - so that is one to be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watched last night's with a huge sigh of relief - what a contrast to the Irish one! An oasis of positivity and encouragement!

May catch tonight's, but will miss tomorrow's - is it the same as last time where each week produces a quarter-(or semi?-) finalist and that goes on for weeks and weeks? Was a bit confused by it the last series but got the hang of it in the end!

Possible winner in Danny, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Love the catch up with previous winners and contestants. They're all doing so well.

Addle wrote: »
    Love the catch up with previous winners and contestants. They're all doing so well.

Winning /doing well a huge boost in profile and bankability

• Advertisement

Went on a spree of deleting recordings this evening, and realised too late that I hadn't watched the second half of last night's show :mad:

Any disasters/triumphs I should know about? Who got through? (if you can name any of their first dishes I'd remember those better than names!)

Potential winner in Danny alright, if his nerves hold - he looks like the kind that could go into orbit under pressure.

Greg looked much the calmer, if he keeps up that standard he could go far.

Also agree great to see the previous finalists - I always loved that American fella, he's bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I liked Lindy Hop Rob in the first round and Greg last night. Tonight the 4 winners compete for 2 places. I thought they would have all the winners of each week together towards the end. Danny I think will definitely go through unless he completely screws up tonight - there's the kiss of death!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Went on a spree of deleting recordings this evening, and realised too late that I hadn't watched the second half of last night's show :mad:

Any disasters/triumphs I should know about? Who got through? (if you can name any of their first dishes I'd remember those better than names!)

Potential winner in Danny alright, if his nerves hold - he looks like the kind that could go into orbit under pressure.

Greg looked much the calmer, if he keeps up that standard he could go far.

Also agree great to see the previous finalists - I always loved that American fella, he's bonkers!

Greg and Danny got through.

Missed the first episode, have it on series link now though. One of my favourites :)

Greg and Danny got through.

Missed the first episode, have it on series link now though. One of my favourites :)

Thanks, but I was typing my deletion disaster while watching last night's show - it's Wednesday night's winners I was wondering about :pac:

But I gather from another post that the lindy-hop guy got through.

Looking forward to catching up on the QF next week when I get back - must remember not to click into this thread before then!

Oops, sorry :D

• Advertisement

Just watched the QF - yah boo to Holly going out! I thought she had great potential.

What sort of kamikaze mission was Greg on? :confused: For a fella that can obviously cook, HOW could he have messed up that badly? And twice?

Had to laugh at the critic's obsession with the shape of the plates! Amazing what gets to people......

Roll on next week's lot!

Anyone watching tonight? I'm just catching up - they're a seriously good bunch this week!

Have lurched straight from the Irish one to the UK one - the difference is astounding. Smiles, jokes, encouragement, genuine love and enthusiasm for food - and then you have Dylan and Nick. I may have to give up on the Irish one :mad:

But back to tonight - the sweet/savoury invention test - oh yeah!!!

Was watching the soccer - but now going to playback Masterchef UK

Totally agree about the difference in demeanor of the 'judges'- you would think that Dylan and his sidekick whose name escapes me were sent on the planet to make other peoples' lives a misery!

Horrible/condescending attitude to amateur chefs appearing on TV for the first time.

And the overall production values of the Irish show are pretty dismal - the last show I saw was shot in September 2013 at a Croke Park match - 7 months ago??
    Preparing bite size bits!

The amazing guy - Michael? - can't believe he served chilli (but not as I know it, looked more like a stew but how could you cook a decent stew in an hour :confused:) with macaroni cheese (and what's with the Mac'n'Cheese that they're all calling it - naff!). Stodgearama!

Never quite caught the name of the saltfish Jamaican dish - looked amazing, if one were a fish fan (which I'm not).

ETA :D:D:D at Greg's reaction to the last dessert!

Anyone in tonight?

I'm a bit behind, they're a cocky lot tonight :D

Did I just see that guy from Doncaster (who's doing a beef curry) spoon his curry paste out of a jar? :eek:

Oooh, I like the look of that salmon tart!!!

The glam young wan's sweet potato mash clearly didn't work!

ETA - she (Verity) is clearly going to be this week's drama queen / novelty turn.

"A bit of a muddle" was being VERY kind to Verity's dish..... lots of beige sludge being served up in the invention test round :eek:

Gosh, I really am on my own here tonight - has the world ended and nobody's told me :confused:

I'm starting to get very irritated by the last round where they cook for the previous champions (and near champions) - when they're starting to cook they list out what they're going to do, then the diners read out the menu (which is a detailed list of everything on the plate), and then when they serve to the diners they AGAIN list out everything on the plate. Do they think we're not paying attention, or are extra forgetful? Once is enough, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some of us don't have such good concentration, and repetition can be helpful to us!

I'm still trying to figure out who Verity reminds me of. I think it is somebody in the public eye.

Sofia, from yesterday's programme, has some resemblance to Rachel Allen.

Definitely the best 2 went. Verity serving raw chicken!! I can't stand sweet potato - far too sweet - but putting mango into it!!! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Definitely the best 2 went. Verity serving raw chicken!! I can't stand sweet potato - far too sweet - but putting mango into it!!! :eek::eek:

On the Irish one, raw chicken got someone through....... :eek:

I'd meant to post about the sweet potato/mango combination as well - that's more suitable for a dessert course! What possessed her!

On the Irish one, raw chicken got someone through....... :eek:

I'd meant to post about the sweet potato/mango combination as well - that's more suitable for a dessert course! What possessed her!

Yeah I saw that. But in fairness the calibre on both shows is completely different ;)

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that. But in fairness the calibre on both shows is completely different ;)

Just a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do you think the men in tonight's show look old for their age?! They're all early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone watching tonight? I'm just catching up - they're a seriously good bunch this week!

Have lurched straight from the Irish one to the UK one - the difference is astounding. Smiles, jokes, encouragement, genuine love and enthusiasm for food - and then you have Dylan and Nick. I may have to give up on the Irish one :mad:

But back to tonight - the sweet/savoury invention test - oh yeah!!!

I agree with you there about comparing the UK Masterchef to the Irish one, seriously losing interest in it now. The faces on Nick and Dylan would turn milk sour. No words of encouragement, hints or tips - nothing. Loooking down their noses at the contestants, maybe if it was MC the prfessionals but the Irish entrants are amateurs.

Well I've seen a lot of odd and unlikely professions on MC, but Witchcraft Merchant is a brand new one on me :eek:

Golly, that youngfella done well to get that lobster dish done in an hour!

LOVE the sound of that Indian dish!

I woudn't thank you for that dish that John cooked from the mystery box :eek:

I'm impressed that they manage to come up with anything at all from those random ingredients they get in the boxes, never mind lovely dishes!

Ooh, what gorgeous dishes they served up for the previous winners/finalists!

Apart from poor Dawn, who seemed to have a total 'mare of a day.

Jack FTW tonight!

• Advertisement

That was probably the poorest group so far, apart from Jack who's a potential winner, very impressive.

Rani (sp?) will be out on Friday I'd imagine.

Advertisement