Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading EA adverts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find the same down the country whereby they don't put houses in village but in the nearest town listings which clogs up those listings. I have reported a few ads and needless to say nothing is ever done. So whats the point having a report button when something is clearly in the wrong location and hence wrong section.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have to say I agree. The amount of time I have seen a place as newly refurbished and the place looks like something time forgot. Kitchen fitted some time in the 70's or early 80's. 2 ring hob cooker, wash basin in the bedroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

D10 would be Ballyer alright. D8 would be Inchicore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The "nicer" address commands a higher asking price hence a higher fee in actual cash for the agent. The more addresses that are perceived to be in nicer areas, the more profit for the estate agent. Only fools would fall for the con. If estate agents had their way on addresses, we'd all be living in Foxrock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Yeah have you noticed all the houses that are apparently in Glasnevin but are actually in Finglas

• Advertisement

lima wrote: »
    Yeah have you noticed all the houses that are apparently in Glasnevin but are actually in Finglas

And many house in Lucan actually in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've been looking for a house with a big garden and almost every single ad stated the house was on a plot of 'around half an acre.' Yet not one house I saw had more than .2 of an acre as the total plot. (I used an online area calculator after seeing for myself that the plot looked smaller than expected.) I'm not sure if it's a deliberate lie or the EA just sees a bigger than average garden and thinks that must be about half an acre. But I'd definitely advise anyone to read 'around half an acre' on a house ad as 'biggish garden' rather than any sort of remotely accurate measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

click on "Report Ad:" and pick "Wrong Address" or one of the other options.

I am constantly reporting misleading listings where I am looking and some were changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think an apology is due. :)
    gmisk wrote: »
    This house is clearly in Ballyfermot! not inchicore
    It is Inchicore North townland in St. James barony. It is built in the grounds of the now gone Inchicore House. Ballyfermot doesn't start until approximately O'Hagan Avenue.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,711325,733912,6,7
    GavMan wrote: »
    D10 would be Ballyer alright. D8 would be Inchicore
    But Chapelizod and Cherry Orchard are also Dublin 10.

The problem is that popular perception (aka laziness and snobbery), religious parishes, etc. have corrupted the sense of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was going more by the boundaries as per google maps, and the fact all the houses right beside it said they were in ballyfermot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There was a fairly well-known estate agents in Dublin who some years ago had a house for sale on Camden Row in Dublin. It was a lovely looking house, inside and out but if you actually walked along the street you could not miss the looming bulk of Kevin St DIT behind it, which took away from the whole ambience somewhat.

Imagine my surprise when I looked up the property on their website to find that in the exterior shot of the front of the house, Kevin Street DIT had vanished and been replaced by a lovely blue sky with just a wisp or two of cloud in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The street view facility gets interesting. They have said " peaceful rural setiing, " then behold ! Behind the cottage a working factory..

Or "quiet location", then directions say, "next to the quarry,"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

And many house in Lucan actually in Clondalkin.

My preference would be to live in Clondalkin over Lucan so I'm not understanding your example. Of course Clondalkin is very large and some parts are very much nicer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My preference would be to live in Clondalkin over Lucan so I'm not understanding your example. Of course Clondalkin is very large and some parts are very much nicer than others.
    Purely as Clondalkin has a rougher reputation.

Oddly, both http://www.daft.ie/21430581 and http://www.daft.ie/21426062 are both in Lucan, but are listed as Clondalkin :confused:

=-=

Leixlip gets put into the "West Dublin" bracket sometimes. Which probably loses them lettings, as HP and Intel are in Kildare...

the_syco wrote: »
    Purely as Clondalkin has a rougher reputation.

Oddly, both http://www.daft.ie/21430581 and http://www.daft.ie/21426062 are both in Lucan, but are listed as Clondalkin :confused:

=-=

Leixlip gets put into the "West Dublin" bracket sometimes. Which probably loses them lettings, as HP and Intel are in Kildare...

Not only are Intel and HP in Kildare, but they are both in fact in Leixlip. I think these EA are often just following the directions of the letters and sellers. Some truly deceptive descriptions in a lot of ads however. Certainly not what I would classify as an honourable profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Funny I never noticed this place on Dame Street before

http://www.daft.ie/sales/house-type-r2-castleheights-carrigaline-cork/937090/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Funny I never noticed this place on Dame Street before

http://www.daft.ie/sales/house-type-r2-castleheights-carrigaline-cork/937090/

Dame Street, Dublin 2, Dublin City Centre
    This property has been either sold or withdrawn from Daft, here are some similar properties in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Soundman wrote: »
    Dame Street, Dublin 2, Dublin City Centre
    This property has been either sold or withdrawn from Daft, here are some similar properties in the area
    It was a merge between an apartment in Dame Street and a house in Carrigaline.

Advertisement