Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Project 6th year

• 27-03-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So the maximum limit of words you're able to use for your geography project is stated at 1000. 50 for introduction, 100 for planning, 450 for gathering of information and 400 for the conclusion. My teacher to say the least isn't the best and I heard from my previous teacher that you should not go over the word limit. To make it worse he made us all right the EXACT same thing... So we all have the same project. The teacher told us it doesn't matter if you're over the limit but I don't trust him at all. My questions are if going 300 words over the limit would be okay and if I should do my own project so I don't have the exact same project as everyone in my class. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 X13

It doesn't matter if you go over. Once it all fits in the space given, they're not going to care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bradwhelan wrote: »
    So the maximum limit of words you're able to use for your geography project is stated at 1000. 50 for introduction, 100 for planning, 450 for gathering of information and 400 for the conclusion. My teacher to say the least isn't the best and I heard from my previous teacher that you should not go over the word limit. To make it worse he made us all right the EXACT same thing... So we all have the same project. The teacher told us it doesn't matter if you're over the limit but I don't trust him at all. My questions are if going 300 words over the limit would be okay and if I should do my own project so I don't have the exact same project as everyone in my class. Thanks

I'd be careful of that. It's the sort of thing gets grades withheld from a school. When you say the exact same thing, do you mean roughly the same thing in your own words or each project report is identical?
    The projects are all going to be similar since you all did the same Field Study, but they should not be identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't propose that my response gives the definitive answer, but my former teacher is the author of one of the popular textbooks, and he would often be asked that by people in the class who were worried that they would be penalised for going over the limit. And his response was always that it was of absolutely no consequence, and would advise that one should merely stay within the confines of the answer-book.

He also gave us a complete sample report to use as a template that we were to in some way reword, but I know of several who made no attempt at doing so, and while it's not possible to tell if there was a correlation between that practise and their subsequent grade (because those likely to have done would likely not have achieved a high grade anyway) I know of someone who received an A1 having done that.

The geography field trip is a complete mockery of a means of assessment, IMO, and is of questionable educational benefit, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

DO NOT use the exact same wording. Change the words, change the order of the methods, the order of aims, use different diagrams and different sources. Obviously there will be a correlation between everyones work but its the exact same project so that is obviously going to happen. However if an examiner sees 30 of the same project they will know your teacher spoon fed you. You may get on okay, but you may not get the full 100%.

As far as word count, I wouldn't worry as long as it fits neatly into the booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

My teacher basically told us to write as much as possible and keep it within the borders (word count not applicable, if you follow the second step) - I highly doubt an examiner has time to count the damn words of the project if it's within the parameters. They already have their mouth full with correcting the primary portion of your Geography grade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement