Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribs in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, other than Captain America's, where is a good place for ribs in Dublin City? Lunch time? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I'm sure Lovin Dublin have a good review!

http://lovindublin.com/?category=on&s=ribs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Bison bar on the south keys do lovely ribs!!

Some great other BBQ options, like pulled pork (favourite) and brisket sambos..

good shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

neil_hosey wrote: »

good shít!

+1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

good shít!

Cant say I agree on Bison bar. I am huge fan of Pitt Bros on Geroges st. Same sort of menu with pulled pork, ribs, brisket and its brilliant. I was then sent on to try Bison bar by someone and the food was average. Funky place but the food was barely warm including the sides. IMO Pitt Bros is way above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

chris85 wrote: »
    Cant say I agree on Bison bar. I am huge fan of Pitt Bros on Geroges st. Same sort of menu with pulled pork, ribs, brisket and its brilliant. I was then sent on to try Bison bar by someone and the food was average. Funky place but the food was barely warm including the sides. IMO Pitt Bros is way above it.

I am the other way around Chris.
    I thought Bison was multiples better than Pitt Bros, that said I guess a lot of it will come down to timing on the day with something that is cooked for such a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Pretty sure Pitt Bros is a rip off of Bison bar.....either way both do amazing ribs!!

Also Damson diner!!

shoutman wrote: »
    I am the other way around Chris.
    I thought Bison was multiples better than Pitt Bros, that said I guess a lot of it will come down to timing on the day with something that is cooked for such a long time.

Both places I went to at busy times to be honest. Food in bison was just on cold side and to be honest not as flavoured as Pitt Bros. I am not going to say bland but Pitt Bros was better for BBQ sauce and flavour.
    sebcity wrote: »
    Pretty sure Pitt Bros is a rip off of Bison bar.....either way both do amazing ribs!!

Also Damson diner!!

Hardly call it a rip off, similar menus for sure but isnt pretty much every Chinese the same. Same idea, good southern US BBQ food.

Never heard of the Damson diner, may have a look.

Good review of Pitt Bros V Bison Bar below.

http://www.cheapeats.ie/2013/12/17/review-pitt-bros-georges-st/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I've never been to Pitt Bros. so I can't compare but I have always enjoyed the food in the Bison Bar.

I can't recall the temperature of the food ... but that must mean that it wasn't remarkable. I'd remember if it was too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Love Bison, haven't tried the ribs yet but the pulled pork is tops.

Was in Thunder Road Cafe a couple of weekends back with herself and got a mountain of ribs/chicken wings as a main, decent price and quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They do great ribs at the Whitefriar Grill, but they're not on their lunch menu :(

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    They do great ribs at the Whitefriar Grill, but they're not on their lunch menu :(

Must admit they have amazing ribs in Whitefriar grill. I went for dinner there a few months back and I had the 8oz rump steak which comes with BBQ ribs and thick cut chips. Absolutely tasty. This was on their a la carte menu and I thought well priced at €23.50 for the amount got.

Aussie BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up going to Pitt Bros for late lunch. I had the pulled pork with onion rings and marrow mash. The food was only warm but that was fine. Plenty of meat, mash was tasty if not as thick as I'd like. Nice portion of onion rings. Then a free self pour ice cream which was a nice touch. My companion had the ribs with chips and slaw. I've definitely had better ribs. They weren't very meaty and it didn't fall of the bone and I didn't think they had any great taste.

I think it was good value. I'll try bison next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

good shít!

Bison's meat is good but their potato salad is a bit bleurgh. Had it there last week and it repeated on me all day long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Bison's meat is good but their potato salad is a bit bleurgh. Had it there last week and it repeated on me all day long.

Yeah not a fan of the potato salad here either. The burnt end beans are braw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

chris85 wrote: »
    Hardly call it a rip off, similar menus for sure but isnt pretty much every Chinese the same. Same idea, good southern US BBQ food.

Of course its a rip off

http://lovindublin.com/reviews/hipster/dublins-latest-hipster-bbq-joint-is-just-a-complete-rip-off/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've eaten in Pit Bro's and as far as BBQ goes it's below average... considering it's supposed to be authentic BBQ. Haven't tried Bison but will give it a go..

I swear Pit bro's ate here www.pittcue.co.uk and decided we can do that, it's insane the comparisons between the two places, menu cards are near identical, table set outs etc. heck even the name isn't far off..

I've been cooking low and slow BBQ for the last 4 years, I'm no back yard BBQ king but I've done my own ribs, pork, brisket and chicken and Pit Bro's is no comparison.. I've had the ribs 3 times and every time the membrane has been left on, that's BBQ basics.. first thing you learn when doing ribs. If nothing else it's got me doing far more BBQ now, pork shoulder over hickory for 8-10hrs tomorrow.. Savage dinners for the next 3 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Dancor wrote: »

If Niall Harbison took his head out of his own arse for a minute and saw a bit of the world he'd realise that they're both rip-offs of countless similar places in the states.

Personally I much prefer Bison.

Advertisement