Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Attention Do You Need?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Communication is important.

It's a human need to relate to people. It's important.

We live in a world that's been transformed by technology and it allows us to be in constant contact with everyone we know for as much as we wish.

It's easy to give and receive attention. Which is nice.

And it's a great thing, good ideas can spread, bad people can be exposed and we can be more organized.

However......

Do you think maybe you have a problem if you can't go 50 minutes without needing someone's attention?!

Is the stray thought that crossed your mind so important that you need to tell someone during the middle of lecture and disturb the concentration of the people around you?

Is that not a little bit desperate?

I once sat behind a girl during a lecture and literally every minute she would light up her phone to see if someone had text her. And she seemed like a nice normal individual, she was blonde and attractive, but yet, a little bit needy for attention.

Is it wrong of me that I just want to attend lectures without being interfered with by others.

Maybe ask yourself, how much attention do you need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why is this in the UCD forum?

She might have been waiting on an important message. You should have been concentrating on the lecture and not what others were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sometimes lectures are just very boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

:confused: She could have been waiting on an important call....a relative could be very sick/interview outcome/meeting someone etc etc....

You never know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

How much time do you have that you can be worrying about the personal lives of strangers? She could have been checking her phone for any number of reasons. You say she was interfering with you which would suggest she was actually doing something to you to impede your concentration, she was just checking her phone. Stop looking at her and concentrate on your lecture! Next we'll have a thread from a pretty blonde girl complaining about the person that kept looking at her during her lecture :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Some lecturers are just dead boring. Nothing you can do. Its like a bad film or a dodgy play, you loose interest and your mind wanders. I'm pretty sure anyway that the maximum time humans can remain concentrated on one task is somewhere in the region of 35 to 45 mins. Hence why the average 'optimum' study time is less than 50 mins. Different strokes for different folks obviously.

If a lecture is boring me, I will do other work (Everything from selling on eBay to writing App code :D ). I will always attend but I believe it is also their responsibility to be clear, concise and interesting with engagement with the class. The days of standing at a lectern and delivering a monotone 50 minute speech is gone. Its proven not to be effective anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

The blonde girl was an attempt to give an example of the type of people who don't really care about engaging with the lecture.

My point is, I just wish people would be more thoughtful and considerate to the people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

UCDCritic wrote: »
    The blonde girl was an attempt to give an example of the type of people who don't really care about engaging with the lecture.

My point is, I just wish people would be more thoughtful and considerate to the people around them.

You could just sit at the front and then things like that wouldn't catch your eye.

She could have been on her phone for any number of reasons with no intention of distracting others. I sometimes use it to flick through blackboard if the lecturer is racing through the slides too fast. I won't apologise for doing that, even if it does distract someone whose attention is so bad that my phone usage will tear them away from a lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

UCDCritic wrote: »

Jeez lad you're some bollix

Advertisement