Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orgo in gradmed course

Options
  • 27-03-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I sat the GAMSAT 6 days ago. In order to fill the vacuum that has been created since the end of all that studying, I have started going through my Organic chemistry work book again. As one with a non-science background, I struggled with it. My question is, is there any module in the accelerated medical program where knowledge of organic chemistry plays an integral part?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Not really. I can't speak for all the courses but ours we literally brushed off org chem twice during courses in first year (molecular medicine, pharmacology) and that was it. If you're dying to get a jump on stuff that is relevant but you have no science background, i'd recommend reading up on some physiology e.g. Guyton and Hall. I'm in final year now and day in day out we refer back to those principles so it'd be much higher yield as prep for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MathsMedMixed

tiredcity wrote: »
    Not really. I can't speak for all the courses but ours we literally brushed off org chem twice during courses in first year (molecular medicine, pharmacology) and that was it. If you're dying to get a jump on stuff that is relevlant but you have no science background, i'd recommend reading up on some physiology e.g. Guyton and Hall. I'm in final year now and day in day out we refer back to those principles so it'd be much higher yield as prep for the future!

I am going through Anatomy & Physiology in Health and Illness by Anne Waugh an Allison Grant. After looking at the syllabus of some of the grad med universities, there is no hint of org chem in them. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement