Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking Chocolate

Options
  • 27-03-2014 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Not 'cooking' persay, however, I've recently taken to drinking hot chocolate. The best I've tasted is Spanish drinking chocolate I got in Aldi but not available now. Cadbury's is a poor substitute but its ok for now. I tried M&S drinking chocolate and its awful, very grainy. Does anyone know where I can get the Spanish drinking chocolate in Dublin, or suggest another brand close to its yumminess please, I'm really hooked but strolling up and down the supermarket aisles tells me there is little available other than Cadbury's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cola Cao is what you're looking for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80115475

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Never heard of that, Alun. The last post of the link says they haven't seen it for years, and that is dated in 2012. I'm heading to the shops now and will look for that - not holding my breath though. Will report back if I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I have some Green & Blacks Organic and it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Never heard of that, Alun. The last post of the link says they haven't seen it for years, and that is dated in 2012. I'm heading to the shops now and will look for that - not holding my breath though. Will report back if I find it.
    Sorry, I just assumed that was the stuff as it is Spanish, and seems to be the standard stuff you get in Spain, usually for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I tried a cup of Nestlé hot chocolate. Oh, bliss, it was f**king gorgeous!

NES52662.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've seen that stocked in various Tesco stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Green & Black's isn't great. Cadburys is just a hint of chocolate with a whole lot of sugar. Best of the lot really is Bewleys. I actually think the low fat versionis their purer drinking chocolate. The full fat is nice but can be a bit sweet but it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I think the best hot chocolate is made from proper cocoa powder with a small bit of sugar and lots of creamy milk. NOM.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I'm really drooling now. I got the Bewley's one today but still to try it. Yes, that is the Spanish one I had in the black tin - it's just like thick melted chocolate. Also bought the Fairtrade one as well. Lots of choccie drinks for me to try now. Really don't want to have to import via Amazon, its a step too far. This is one wonderful experiment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

You could of course buy some good quality chocolate and just break it into bits, and heat with milk, while whisking.

dipdip wrote: »
    You could of course buy some good quality chocolate and just break it into bits, and heat with milk, while whisking.

I might end up doing that. We are half way through the Bewley's drinking chocolate, and it's......okay. Better than M&S anyway but that wouldn't be difficult to beat. I will be trying others along the way. May have to make my own eventually. They must be full of calories so I'm only having a cupfull now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Jamie Oliver has the best hot choc recipe..really thick silky and choccy. Bit more fiddly than your open and pour type but I make loads and store in a mason jar and use it as and when needed.

1 cup horlicks
    1 cup cornflour
    1.5 cup icing sugar
    2 cups good quality bought cocoa
    Large Bar dark choc ( Aldi one is perfect)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt

Pour all ingredients into sealable mason jar and give good shake.
    Heat milk and add 2 good spoons of choc powder, whisk well and allow simmer away til thickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

lubie76 wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver has the best hot choc recipe..really thick silky and choccy. Bit more fiddly than your open and pour type but I make loads and store in a mason jar and use it as and when needed.

1 cup horlicks
    1 cup cornflour
    1.5 cup icing sugar
    2 cups good quality bought cocoa
    Large Bar dark choc ( Aldi one is perfect)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt

Pour all ingredients into sealable mason jar and give good shake.
    Heat milk and add 2 good spoons of choc powder, whisk well and allow simmer away til thickened.
    That sounds gorgeous, do you grate the choc, or just chop it, or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

dee_mc wrote: »
    That sounds gorgeous, do you grate the choc, or just chop it, or does it matter?

Yes sorry, grate it so it can blend in well with rest of ingredients. I normally throw mine into food processor and pulse it as it makes a quick job of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cadbury's fanboy here. Erm, but which one of the ones mentioned on the thread is least heavy on sugar? None of the above? :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OK, it's not an instant powder, but I defy anyone to produce a more decadent hot chocolate than this:

Hot Chocolate:
    6 oz (180gr) semisweet chocolate (chips or chopped)
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon cardamom
    pinch of ground cloves

Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Set aside.
    In a large saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and cream to a simmer. Remove from the heat and slowly pour the hot liquid over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes then slowly whisk the mixture until completely smooth. add the spices, stir and serve.

Only a small cup needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

dipdip wrote: »
    You could of course buy some good quality chocolate and just break it into bits, and heat with milk and Baileys or add a nice lash of rum, while whisking.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

I saw on some other thread in here a tip about a tablespoon of chocolate spread wisked into milk, in a saucepan warmed on the hob ! delish !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Did a search for this cause I knew I had read it a while back - this hot chocolate is currently back in Aldi in case you're still looking for it...I actually got a tin of it since all the talk about it here was so positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Hey whats the name of the hot chocolate you bought in Aldi please confusticated?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Picked up a jar of it myself because of this thread!:P

SarB89, it's a black jar with Spanish Chocolate written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Yup, what RosyLily said! It's in the specials of the week aisle, not with the tea and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

I felt so stupid for asking that question when I went into Aldi and seen it ha ha:) By the way.. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Now has anyone tried any from fudgekitchen?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

You can order the Aldi stuff off Amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Chocolate-Company-Thick-Drink/dp/B0069L98OS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408981963&sr=8-1&keywords=spanish+chocolate+company+thick+hot+chocolate+drink+350+g+pack+of+3

I bought some jars based on the feedback here and I'm not madly impressed. It's too sweet if you want to get it thickish. I still prefer Bewley's Indulgent Hot Chocolate or the Diet variety which is less sweet.

I squealed with delight when I got my newsletter from Aldi and found they had the Spanish Drinking Chocolate again. I rushed up on the day and bought a ton of it. There could be a drinking chocolate famine on the way, best be prepared!! :) Droooool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Bourneville (lesser know variant from the Cadbury's brand)
    (In red tub), 100% coco nothing else.
    No sweeteners/sugar
    No glucose (90% of other brands do),
    No other E-number junk etc...

Few bob is all for 200gms tub

Joe, I've tried 'em all. I ain't movin' from me Spanish!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Bourneville (lesser know variant from the Cadbury's brand)
    (In red tub), 100% coco nothing else.
    No sweeteners/sugar
    No glucose (90% of other brands do),
    No other E-number junk etc...

Few bob is all for 200gms tub

This one is lovely, can highly recommend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement