Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Mail (freesheet)

Options
  • 27-03-2014 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else get this though the front door yet? Is it new? nothing inside proclaims it to be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Should you trust a newspaper that doesn't have anyone standing by their stories? An editorial but no mention of an editor's name...

It's not delivered to houses, ya just have a couple of lads walking around town dumping them into shops and handing them out to randomers. I saw a chap take 10 of them yesterday. He must have been doing some painting or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I saw a chap take 10 of them yesterday. He must have been doing some painting or something.

Doff my cap to you Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Wondered about no names alright, unusual alright or the biggest most public Nixer ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

i thought it was a nice little paper, and really not too much contentious to argue about, in the first one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Looked good to me, more content to read than the advert laden Waterford Today.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    Looked good to me, more content to read than the advert laden Waterford Today.

Yes but think about it, there is no byline on any of the articles, no editor's name written any where so there is no responsibility. The articles are just rehashed versions of articles that have appeared in the news and star and Munster Express in recent weeks. They are even using the same quotes...So the journalists of our two paid papers are going out there doing the work, and this rag just rehashes it and claims it as their own?

I can't see it lasting a month tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

I love the negativity of posts.

God help anyone who tries anything in waterford - you'll get knocked immediately and many will hope you fail.

I was thinking of opening a retail store in waterford (I have stores in limerick, tralee and cork) - but looking at this thread and some others, it looks like some of the people in waterford are simply far too negative and will hope anyone that tries anything will fail before they have a chance to succeed.

and they wonder why so many empty shops are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Looks very slick. Moreso than Waterford Today. Competition, soul, etc. Can only be good for the City. Well done to all involved.

As a slight aside, did you see the April Fools Joke that the Waterford Today pulled last week (for next week). It was genius. They were saying that all buskers in Waterford would have to get licences now...they'd have to be judged by a three person panel etc. Caught a good load of people out (possibly more because it was posted on the 24 march but what harm)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

skelligs wrote: »

God help anyone who tries anything in waterford - you'll get knocked immediately and many will hope you fail.

I was thinking of opening a retail store in waterford (I have stores in limerick, tralee and cork) - but looking at this thread and some others, it looks like some of the people in waterford are simply far too negative and will hope anyone that tries anything will fail before they have a chance to succeed.

so your judging waterford by a few posts that halfwits post on boards.ie!!! get off your ass and actually stroll through waterford city centre and judge for yourself if you intend on setting up business here!!!
    granted yes we do have the highest unemployment rate in the country and any form of business that sets up and creates even two jobs is a help and would be appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

skelligs wrote: »

A sad fact of Waterford life. People here just wont move on/try something different/change in any way at all and any new venture/shop is usually knocked down over a few drinks in The Front Lounge. Im talking about the hardcore element in this city who think that the world starts at The Holy Cross and ends at Plunkett Station- zero ambition, even when young free and single they would never leave this place in a million years, happy to plod on in a minimum wage job until death and going on their Summer Holidays to Tramore.

I do actually like Waterford for its beaches, friendliness and history but we have a huge perception problem when it comes to work and general attitude. Just look at the Park Inn- yes they were 100% right to stage a protest until they got their redundancies (im with them on that) but now they are staying put until "our jobs are back and the pub is going again". I mean, sweet Jesus, move on, maybe upskill a bit, go to college etc etc. The recession has affected everyone, but Waterfordians see themselves as different to everyone else when it comes to losing jobs and coping with unemployment. Its happening everywhere, not just in this city.

Im behind any change if its positive for the city but the bloody naysayers and knockers in this place are unreal.

A sad fact of Waterford life. People here just wont move on/try something different/change in any way at all and any new venture/shop is usually knocked down over a few drinks in The Front Lounge. Im talking about the hardcore element in this city who think that the world starts at The Holy Cross and ends at Plunkett Station- zero ambition, even when young free and single they would never leave this place in a million years, happy to plod on in a minimum wage job until death and going on their Summer Holidays to Tramore.

One of the worst generalisations I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sure, everybody generalises...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

so your judging waterford by a few posts that halfwits post on boards.ie!!! get off your ass and actually stroll through waterford city centre and judge for yourself if you intend on setting up business here!!!
    granted yes we do have the highest unemployment rate in the country and any form of business that sets up and creates even two jobs is a help and would be appreciated!!

read my post - I said "some" and "many". I read a few threads and there are quite a few that hope/pray/will places to fail and will even make up allegations about them too (a thread about a fast food restaurant).

Maybe if people tried to support a new venture, more would follow.

I've strolled a good bit and have a couple of locations in mind, but regular negativity by halfwits or whatever, don't give confidence.

Apologies for being honest - many would say nothing and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

7upfree wrote: »
    One of the worst generalisations I have ever seen.

I did say the "hardcore element" so I wasnt including everyone. I am here long enough to know what Im talking about and have worked in enough of the main places in the City to know there is a shocking amount of unambitious and small minded folk in Waterford who love the union and hate change. Hence why Waterford had so many people on the dole even during the boom times. Hence why a lot of companies wont invest here lest they get landed with the local workshy shop stewards and union heads who are experts at doing FA all day every day.

There is enough nice people in the city to make it personally enjoyable for me but that doesnt shift the fact that we have a cliquey and militant reputation. I have seen it for years, others have seen it, its been said by people outside of this city and by many many people on the Waterford thread. Its not the case where we are all wrong and everyone else is right...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

I did say the "hardcore element" so I wasnt including everyone. I am here long enough to know what Im talking about and have worked in enough of the main places in the City to know there is a shocking amount of unambitious and small minded folk in Waterford who love the union and hate change. Hence why Waterford had so many people on the dole even during the boom times. Hence why a lot of companies wont invest here lest they get landed with the local workshy shop stewards and union heads who are experts at doing FA all day every day.

There is enough nice people in the city to make it personally enjoyable for me but that doesnt shift the fact that we have a cliquey and militant reputation. I have seen it for years, others have seen it, its been said by people outside of this city and by many many people on the Waterford thread. Its not the case where we are all wrong and everyone else is right...
    genzyme set up in waterford back in 2001 i think it was and did'nt recognise the unions and look at them now!! they went from renovating the old rayban factory and expanded again and again over the years investing 100s of millions of euros in there facility and will more than likely invest more in the waterford site in the near future??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Looks like a mini Munster express problally a free sheet spinoff from them...

Here "long enough". How long, exactly, is "long enough".

There are unambitious people in every village, town, and City. And Waterford is no different. Some of the hardest working people in the country live here.

Some of the most creative and entertaining people have come from Waterford.

So please, less of that crap about "loving the union". They are everywhere. Waterford is no exception. It is really sickening to see Waterford painted in this light - without foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Here "long enough". How long, exactly, is "long enough".

There are unambitious people in every village, town, and City. And Waterford is no different. Some of the hardest working people in the country live here.

Some of the most creative and entertaining people have come from Waterford.

So please, less of that crap about "loving the union". They are everywhere. Waterford is no exception. It is really sickening to see Waterford painted in this light - without foundation.

We have a reputation for being unionised and militant no point in denying it. Whether it is justified or not we have it.

Hence foolish moves like picketing the crystal etc add fuel to the low burning fire and tarnish our rep more than if they happen in Cork or elsewhere, you are too young to remember the awful drawn out dock strike and so many more assaults on Waterford's reputation it takes generations to build a reputation and even longer to rebuild it.

There are lovely people here as you say but there is still, albeit not as noisy and with a lot less power a very vocal rent a crowd that engage their mouths before their brains, regardless of the cost to the City's reputation.

We mustn't confuse blind loyalty to our City and County and ignore the perception of everyone else or we will never fix our many problems.

It is a great place but we have an element that is negative noisy and knocking that need to be brought in on the plan to lift us out of our current situation.

onward and upward.
    Sorry for going so off topic but ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Looks like a mini Munster express problally a free sheet spinoff from them...

I think it's a crowd from Kilkenny behind it.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    We have a reputation for being unionised and militant no point in denying it. Whether it is justified or not we have it.

Hence foolish moves like picketing the crystal etc add fuel to the low burning fire and tarnish our rep more than if they happen in Cork or elsewhere, you are too young to remember the awful drawn out dock strike and so many more assaults on Waterford's reputation it takes generations to build a reputation and even longer to rebuild it.

There are lovely people here as you say but there is still, albeit not as noisy and with a lot less power a very vocal rent a crowd that engage their mouths before their brains, regardless of the cost to the City's reputation.

We mustn't confuse blind loyalty to our City and County and ignore the perception of everyone else or we will never fix our many problems.

It is a great place but we have an element that is negative noisy and knocking that need to be brought in on the plan to lift us out of our current situation.

onward and upward.
    Sorry for going so off topic but ......

We also mustn't confuse the opinions of a minority as written in stone or as fact - be they the minority that long for the days of union power - or those who - for whatever reason - castigate Waterford and its populace at every opportunity.

Advertisement