Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating eggs to a friend

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi All

I am in a position where a very good friend of mine wants a baby desperately and has just been advised it is not going to happen with her own eggs.

As my family is finished and I am still quite young I am thinking of offering my eggs to her. She is in a long term relationship with a lovely girl and have tried many times with IUI and IVF with a donor

I'd love you thoughts on this as I feel I dont want to bring it up if it will offend|!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You sound like an amazing friend!

I'm not sure of the best way to handle this. If she's already used a donor do you know what went wrong? Is it that she can't carry the fertilised eggs in which case you'd have to carry the child?

If you brought it up directly, logically you'd think she'd be touched even if she doesn't want to accept your offer. I suppose she might be defensive if she sees it as you being able to do something that she cannot but that she SHOULD be able to do for herself...

I also thought about you approaching her partner and asking her advice but your friend might see this as the two of you going behind her back.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about her personality and how she's reacted to this so far and how open she's been with you about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Egg donation is an extremely invasive procedure psychologically and physically. You'd want to really think long and hard about it before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi OP, what a really lovely thing to do for someone. Personally I would not bring it up until they did. I have donated my eggs twice, although to anonymous recipients and it really one of the best gifts that can be given. It makes me feel really good to know that I have helped two couples achieve their dreams of a family(the first donation even resulted in twins!)
    Although I have donated anonymous, I am not 100% sure how I would feel donating to someone I know. Even though I will probably never meet these children(they have a right to my information when they turn 18) I still can't help but feel that they someway a part of me and Im not sure I would be able to handle seeing them every day.

Its a really tough call, but a very selfless thing to do for someone.

Advertisement