Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regulations regarding equipment in Confined Spaces

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I've a couple of queries regarding the use of electrical equipment in confined spaces.

I've had a look at the reg's and it reads to me that electrical equipment in use where 'a person does not have freedom of bodily movement to work, enter or leave the location without physical constraint' must be SELV (separated extra-low voltage = <50VAC or 120VDC) or reduced low voltage with a voltage rating of <110VAC between phases.

Is this the case? I'm thinking of vessels, silo's tanks where grinding/welding plant with voltages of 220/400VAC equipment would be required to carry out maintenance works. Has anyone any knowledge to depart on the matter? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

..local equipotential bonding of extraneous metalwork

..portable tools...RLV(yellow site trafo)

there might be other H&S rules
    for confined spaces and power tool use

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hello,
    I've had a look at the reg's and it reads to me that electrical equipment in use where 'a person does not have freedom of bodily movement to work, enter or leave the location without physical constraint' must be SELV (separated extra-low voltage = <50VAC or 120VDC) or reduced low voltage with a voltage rating of <110VAC between phases.

Can you be more specific? Where did you see this regulation?
    We have plenty of confined spaces at work (that are defined as such) and we have 3 phase, single phase supplies installed in these in many cases.

Is this the case? I'm thinking of vessels, silo's tanks where grinding/welding plant with voltages of 220/400VAC equipment would be required to carry out maintenance works.

Our concern when working in tanks, vessels, silos and confined spaces more about from flammable vapours (from solvents) and asphyxiation (e.g. from nitrogen leaks). In such cases we only use people that have completed confined space entry training and we have equipment to ensure that we can recover an unconscious person quickly.

A risk assessment would be a good place to start.

it would be more health and safety than et101 as 2011 said

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Filter Brewer

Thanks folks, it's the ETCI reg's, fourth addition that I've been reading. Perhaps I should be looking at other literature too?

Gas monitors and people that are trained in confined space isn't a problem here at all I'm seeking as much information as possible and the above regulations don't seem appropriate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Gas monitors and people that are trained in confined space isn't a problem here at all I'm seeking as much information as possible and the above regulations don't seem appropriate.

Yes, gas monitors are an essential piece of kit for this.
    I have just sent you on some of the documentation that we use.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

Can you be more specific? Where did you see this regulation?
    706 I'd say
    I only had a quick look

it's to do with shock hazard from touching metalwork and electrical equipment simultaneously in a tight space

Thanks again good folk. As I mentioned above I've been reading teh ETCI reg's, fourth addition.

Should I be looking at the health and safety at work act?

The ETCI reg's advocate only SELV or reduced volatge in confined spaces so I'm wondering about portable electrical equipment and any other powered apparatus. It appears the regulations don't allow for this but there must be some form of dispensation or allowance based on risk assessment...?

The ETCI reg's advocate only SELV or reduced volatge in confined spaces so I'm wondering about portable electrical equipment and any other powered apparatus. It appears the regulations don't allow for this
    they do

reduced low voltage=yellow transformer

that section is just to do with shock hazard and metal

prob not what you're looking for

Yes and my query relates to metal silo's/vessels/tanks that are confined spaces. Would a 400V motor driving a hoist be permitted for instance? I've seen such installations temporarily fitted in areas of restricted movement and am still investigating the regulations regarding this.

If I've a large metal silo with restricted access/egress can 220V or 400V equipment be used within? Can installations like this be uniquely risk assessed or is a flat no?

Advertisement