Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location V modern

Options
  • 27-03-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

Okay, got two properties available to buy right now in my price bracket.

One is a modern three bed duplex in an area that is relatively conveniently now, but may be much less so when the children to to college.

The other is an old five bed house in an old area, but city centre and all transport links are within a ten minute walk.

Any feelings which which is best? Both are in suitable condition for moving into as soon as sale closes, but the old one may well need more upkeep. On the other hand, the location is amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

how often to you hear the phrase modern, modern, modern?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The one thing you cannot do with a house is physically move it. You can extend, upgrade, modernise and otherwise enhance. It really is a no-brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The more mature house. It may not be to your taste but if it's liveable in you can make it your own with time. And sounds like a better investment all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Eileen G, do you intend to put down roots in one of these properties if your bid is successful or is it a stopgap property until the children grow up ? What I'm getting at and what you may wish to consider in your decision making is resale value - which property do you reckon will appreciate in value down the line ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also keep in mind- 3 bed duplex = management company, annual management charges, rules that you have to abide by etc.
    Mature house = freehold- it may have greater upkeep- but there is far more you can do with it- that you wouldn't be able to with a duplex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When you say college I and most people Persume third level. If that is the case I wouldn't even consider that. If you've next door to a college they may still end up moving to go to another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The old house is walking distance of Connolly station and city center, so accessible to any college in Dublin. The modern one is on the Dart line, but not as handy for DCU, UCD or Maynooth.

I don't really think in terms of dying in either house, but would expect to be there for a good while, while go to school and college, then probably sell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Providing you were willing to put time and effort into the older house- it would seem to me to be a bit of a no-brainer. You would have to explore grants for insulating the property, whether its a listed building and all manner of other potential pitfalls though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Go with the place you want to live the most. I'd be giving the college thing quite a backseat here. They'll only be in college for a few years, they'll be growing up in the house you pick. One house is close to city centre, the other is on the DART line. The worst that happens with their college choice is they spend an extra half hour commuting IF they choose a college not in the city centre. They might even have a car by then. I'd be more inclined to consider what your kids will be able to do as kids in the place you move to (I'm guessing they're still young). Is there a local shop near both places that you'd be okay with them going to by themselves once they're 8 or 9? A playground? Open green space? They'll be in college for 4 years or so, they might even move out during that time. The quality of their childhood is surely just as important as saving them half an hour on what MIGHT be their commute in years time. I wouldn't be basing my choice on where they might go to college. Base it on the property and area you like the best. If that's the city centre then pick that place, if that's the duplex, pick that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

EileenG wrote: »
    The old house is walking distance of Connolly station and city center, so accessible to any college in Dublin. The modern one is on the Dart line, but not as handy for DCU, UCD or Maynooth.

I don't really think in terms of dying in either house, but would expect to be there for a good while, while go to school and college, then probably sell.
    Walking distance to Connolly?? The immediate vicinity is not the nicest area in the world to be bringin up kids in.
    Would probably help if you just told us the areas you re considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Guarantee they'll go to college in Cork or Galway if you are purchasing based on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I would repeat on the potential of the older house versus the modern one. 10 minutes from Connolly is inner city territory and generally not the greatest areas to raise families. Very deprived areas with serious drug problems.

I can't think anywhere in that radius I would suggest as a place to raise a family. Not saying there aren't nice people there just the reality of the areas. I lived within a 10 minute walk of Connolly and it was/is not safe to walk around at night.

A friend is also a headmaster in a school around there and his pupils have serious problems. He spends lots of time trying to do the best for them but knows it will only help some.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One is a modern three bed duplex in an area that is relatively conveniently now, but may be much less so when the children to to college.

The other is an old five bed house in an old area, but city centre and all transport links are within a ten minute walk.
    If old is so close to Connelly, I'd avoid it. As for the modern one , I'm assuming it's northside (Malahide?) if it's not good for "DCU, UCD or Maynooth"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

at least you can modernise the house! Id go with location...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

the_syco wrote: »
    If old is so close to Connelly, I'd avoid it. As for the modern one , I'm assuming it's northside (Malahide?) if it's not good for "DCU, UCD or Maynooth"?
    Maybe something like this? http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-verville-court-vernon-avenue-clontarf-dublin-3/2743585

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Idbatterim wrote: »
    at least you can modernise the house! Id go with location...

Yeah... but you have to be certain about which location is better. The city centre one is definitely good for transport links, but it also has serious social problems and I personally wouldn't feel safe walking there at night by myself. If it's the kids' college commute in question, I'd choose the area where they'll be more likely to progress to college from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Sorry, I should have clarified, the girls are all teenagers, and at three different schools, scattered on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There is no way I would buy a house within 10 minutes of Connolly. I would be horrified to think about my teenage daughters walking through that part of town on a daily basis. I wouldn't even want to do it myself. Working in part of Dublin 1 is bad enough I would certainly never live there personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ionapaul wrote: »

Glorified apartment. Can't stand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Anywhere on the DART line is not too bad for UCD tbh - it's a 20 minute walk from Booterstown & Sydney Parade to the campus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement