Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD My Passport Essential

Options
  • 27-03-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭

So a mate gave me a WD My Passport Essential 500gb Blue (This one) as they're having problems with it. They got it years ago but they couldn't get it working and put it down to technophobia. THey found it recently and gave it to me to see if it would work. She has a Sony Vaio running Win7 64bit, and i've a custom pc with Win7 Prop 64bit.

When i plugged it into my pc, the light came on, the HDD spun up and i got 3 beeps. Nothing was recognised by the PC, and no matter what USB port i put it in now, nothing happens except the HDD spinning for a few seconds and the indicator light stays on. No more beeps.

When i put it into a pc running XP, it got the "Device not installed properly" message, but i couldn't troubleshoot it on that as it was a work pc and i don't have privilages. She said the same was happening to her laptop.

I'm going with the HDD being banjaxed, but i said i'd ask the internet first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU could open case,
    put drive in a sata caddy,or connect hardisk to pc, using sata cable,data, cable,
    swapped out temporarily from the dvd drive .
    Ask the owner before ,you open the case.
    the internal pcb board could be faulty,or the data cable could be loose ,between case pcb and hard disk sata interface.

Advertisement