Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackbird Nest in the Garage!

• 27-03-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I just discovered a nest in my garage and I think they are blackbirds. One flew out as I walked in (black) and one stayed in the nest, which was a brown one, which I think is the female. I have no idea how long they've been there - how quickly can they build a nest?

There is one large double-doors that we keep locked, and another regular door that opens into the garden, which is left open 24/7.

So, what should we do? I'm actually perfectly happy to leave them there if our occasional ins and outs won't upset them - though I find that hard to imagine. The male legged it when he saw me and the female sat as if paralysed by fear when I approached going "...is that a nest?!"

Would they abandon the nest if we tried to move it? I would imagine yes. It is very early in the year, they couldn't have laid eggs yet, I hope? If we just destroyed the nest when they're not there will they have time to make a new one somewhere else?

I really know very little about birds and I'd rather not ruin their year or result in the death of their family :/

EDIT:
    Similar issue here
    http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=57358

Apparently they shouldn't mind us being in and out much actually, so I might just ignore them! Will they try to use the same nest for their next brood or will they go somewhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just leave it and try to disturb them as little as possible. She will incubate the eggs for about 14 days and the young would fledge about 14 days later. They will not take to a moved nest.
    Let us know how they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Sorry to hijack this thread but don't want to start a new one.

We have blackbirds the last few weeks in our cooker extractor fan chute and their eggs have just hatched a few days ago. The noise reverberating through the house is unreal! I was wondering if there was a safe way of removing the nest but I guess not. If it is only for another 10 days or so I will put up with the noise.

If after this time the small ones have flown the nest, when is it ok to get rid of the nest as I really dont want it in there. When I say ok, I mean with least discomfort to the birds.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Give it 2 or 3 days after they fledge and then you could safely remove the nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Our nest and blackbirds are still resident, though no sign of babbies yet! I chat happily to mamma-bird when I get my bike - she stares at me in what I can only assume is frozen terror :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

"No sign of babbies yet" is a bit strange!It's well over a month since your original post.I would have thought that the chicks would have hatched and fledged at this stage.She may be incubating dud or unfertilised eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Ours have fledged in the last couplle of days and can be seen in the garden with mammy and daddy hunting for worms. I will be removing the nest soon as they have the side of my house destroyed with sh1t!!

Bonedigger wrote: »
    "No sign of babbies yet" is a bit strange!It's well over a month since your original post.I would have thought that the chicks would have hatched and fledged at this stage.She may be incubating dud or unfertilised eggs.

That would be a shame. There's a daddy blackbird around now and then so that's not the problem. Oh well, nothing I can do for her except give her space.

Zillah wrote: »
    That would be a shame. There's a daddy blackbird around now and then so that's not the problem. Oh well, nothing I can do for her except give her space.

All is not lost of course!She may have laid more eggs since the original batch.My father used to breed canaries and finches and this was a common enough occurence.They sometimes turf out the dud eggs(the male may take the broken shells away so not to draw attention to the nest) and start again.Here's hoping!

WE HAVE BABY BIRDS! :D

Walked in to get my bike this morning and the male came flapping aggressively towards me. I moved off to the side to where my bike is and he left me alone. Immediately knew something was off, and lo and behold there's a good few extra beaks in the nest!

Zillah wrote: »
    WE HAVE BABY BIRDS! :D

Walked in to get my bike this morning and the male came flapping aggressively towards me. I moved off to the side to where my bike is and he left me alone. Immediately knew something was off, and lo and behold there's a good few extra beaks in the nest!

Excellent stuff!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Had a male frantically follow me around my front and back garden.
    Cut the grass and he was a few feet behind me each time picking up the grass and worms. He must have a best close to my house. He's in my garden everyday

Advertisement