Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite game world?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

Same as a lot of others..

Rapture and Hyrule! :D

Oh and the Monkey Island universe for sure

Black Mesa, Rapture & the Land of the Dead (Grim Fandango)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tallon IV in Metroid Prime is amazing
    Lordran from Dark Souls is best of generation imho.
    Silent Hill from the second game is brilliant.
    The whole map from SMW!
    Bay Bridge and Big Forest in Virtua Racing as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Tamriel

Just so much in it via games rather than game.

Yep, Tamriel would have to be mine too. I always get the feeling that the world is just so expansive when I play Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim.

The changing nature of the environment really adds to that too.

I like the setting in Fallout 3 too, very bleak and eery. Sometimes it can feel a little repetitive though, but I guess that is what a post apocalyptic world would look like!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

City 17 and it's surroundings, after all, we don't go to Ravenholm.

I think Azeroth was realised in a spectacular fashion.

And sure look, it still hasn't quite got the full reinvention it so long deserves, but Kanto deserves mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 zola80

Fallout3 - Wasteland is still no. 1 for me, after which comes Gothic II (too bad they've ruined all in the sequel)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oddworld from Abe's oddysee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Half Life 2 world as pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Favourite world might be the village from Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly. Dripping with atmosphere and never felt at odds with the creepy lore.

104217_full.jpg

104282_full.jpg

104205_full.jpg

104225_full.jpg

Kureha_Shrine_FFII_Wii_Edition.png

Fatal_Frame_II_gameplay.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Raiden 2, beginning to end, each level is so full of character, beautiful work.
    Raiden DX is probably better but I haven't played enough to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Tamriel. No question.

And to be more specific: Cyrodiil

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There are many, but if I had to visit one (apart from Hyrule), it'd be Delfino Plaza. Loved it, with it's beaches and canals. Loved the music and the announcement jingle especially.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    There are many, but if I had to visit one (apart from Hyrule), it'd be Delfino Plaza. Loved it, with it's beaches and canals. Loved the music and the announcement jingle especially.

Yeah, that was a good one, oddly though, Super Mario Sunshine came in for flak from some quarters because of the Delfino setting.
    I played a bit of Sunshine and couple of weeks ago and was impressed at how it still looks pretty great some twelve years after its release on the Gamecube.
    Luigis Mansion and Metroid Prime similarly have remained quite ageless.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a good one, oddly though, Super Mario Sunshine came in for flak from some quarters because of the Delfino setting.
    I played a bit of Sunshine and couple of weeks ago and was impressed at how it still looks pretty great some twelve years after its release on the Gamecube.
    Luigis Mansion and Metroid Prime similarly have remained quite ageless.

It's one of my favourite games, possibly my favourite of that generation. I've wanted to give it a run through again for a while, but I'm sure it'll be re released sometime, on eshop or hd or whatever, so I'll wait till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Super Mario World, loved the dinosaur land setting.

Rapture, fantastically moody and the art deco setting is lovely

Lordran, where everything wants to kill you, repeatedly.

Red Dead Redemption, limited by the tech available but still a stunning looking open world, slowly ambling through a town or out in the wild on a horse never gets old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The world of Jazzpunk. Often, when you venture off the main path in a game, you're greeted with an invisible wall, a pointless collectible or the like. Jazzpunk's world is all about countering that - exploring every corner, where you will inevitably encounter something bizarre, funny, imaginative or irreverent. Its mini sandboxes feel alive with detail and surprise: you could be playing a wedding themed parody of Quake one minute, and using a metal detector to find a buried frozen mammoth the next.

That it achieves consistency despite it indulging every wild idea the designers can think of is down to tone and aesthetic. The world is realised in vibrant primary colours and the characters joyfully abstract (reducing many general NPCs to blank emoticons is an inspired touch). Using the iconography of paranoid Cold War thrillers, analogue technology and acid trips all blended into one insane cocktail, it manages to be familiar (the designers find much comic mileage in subverting the recognisable) and yet at the same time fresh and unexpected. The soundtrack lives up to that odd title.

Mostly, though, it's just really ****ing fun to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Hyrule, purely for the characters it contains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thread needs more pics/screenshots of beauty.

Yeah though, it's pretty hard to disagree with either Rapture or the Wasteland in Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Florence from AC2.
    Vice City.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Florence from AC2.
    Vice City.

Two great ones there.

Meanwhile...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i really really really want to play mario sunshine again

but I need a gamecube, and a copy of mario sunshine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JohnB7

Got to be capital wasteland, I poured about 200 hours into that game. My wife despised the game for about 2 years :-) . If they announce fallout 4 for the ps4 or xbo I will probably purchase the console for that alone.

Honourable mentions:
    Rapture
    Arkham
    Racoon city
    And basically any post apocalyptic setting. I have a thing for looking at the world in ruins :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

i really really really want to play mario sunshine again

but I need a gamecube, and a copy of mario sunshine :(

Me too, my gamecube and games are in the attic at my parents gaff. Might have to get it out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Final Fantasy VII-X. Any of them.

Dali or anywhere in FFIX.

Spira as a depressing and dangerous as a world that could be, as always changing with you.

Actually I loved FFVIII Modern European look, mixed with future militarism, and 20 years of a world war, there's a cold war,
    and no radio signals from the Esthar Continent, which had that dry scruff look.
    Mercenary schools, assasination missions, space travel and station, missile strike retaliations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Wow tough question. I'm not as big a gamer as I was years ago but off the top of my head:

FFVII/Gaia
    The dome worlds of G-Police
    Tomb Raider 2 specifically

More recently:
    GTA5 - the world was just so incredibly detailed, everything felt alive.
    Skyrim - idyllic, beautiful and full of feels. I would often just stop and stare at the world before me.
    Far Cry 3 - pretty x1000
    Red Dead Redemption - just like GTA5 but in the wild west.
    Mass Effect - incredible sci-fi lore. Not as good or detailed as the rest but very very good all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Fallout, Xcom + Terror from the deep, GTA San Andreas (haven't played GTAV), Dune 2, Doom, Elite + Frontier + First Encounters, Alpha Centauri, old LucasArts games, old Command and Conquer + Red Alert, SimCity, Bio Shock, System Shock, old Deus Ex, Galactic Civilisations, Stalker (all versions), Morrowind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

screenpop.php?id=63212

Forever in love with H&D1, the rain, the train. I suppose most of you weren't born in 1997, but this was an amazing game in its day, Still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Azeroth - probably because I've spent so much time in it

Nozgoth - the lore and storyline that came from them games :)

FFVII - ancient race. One deranged super human. Weapons trying to kill you. What's not to love.

FFVIII - one word, Ragnarok

Tamriel - Dragons, Demons and hiding in corners :)

Advertisement