Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive

Options
  • 27-03-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, after trying for over 18 months to conceive both my husband and I were thinking of having some tests done . As I know from waiting on other appts, public would just be to slow, so we would like to go private. Can anyone out there steer us in the right direction as to what to do next??? Very confused

Comments

Start with a visit to your own GP and take things from there. Good Luck.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Aglo wrote: »
    Hi guys, after trying for over 18 months to conceive both my husband and I were thinking of having some tests done . As I know from waiting on other appts, public would just be to slow, so we would like to go private. Can anyone out there steer us in the right direction as to what to do next??? Very confused

Begin with a GP appointment. They should do a TTC blood test on you, and write a referral to a fertility clinic. The fertility clinic will write to you with an appointment and any tests you need done beforehand.

Generally speaking, fertility treatment is private. There is a public list, but as you can imagine, its very long and hard to qualify for it. Depending on if you have health insurance, again, fertility is normally excluded from most policies but other gynaelogical tests or procedures might be covered as they are not, strictly speaking, fertilty. For example, if they wanted to refer you to an endocrinologist for PCOS your insurer may cover it as its considered an endocrine issue rather than fertility IYSWIM?

There is a great chat thread here where many have gone before you. If you have the time, its well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's very important to read up and educate yourselves as much as possible regarding fertility issues before while investigating.
    It's your own fertility and you have to take charge of it.
    Your GP and even your fertility clinic will neither have the time nor incentive to investigate the possible issues as much as you and your husband will.
    After a short time you will be more of an expert on your own situation than your GP ever will be.
    It's also important that both you and your husband research your own and each other's issues and discuss (not argue), tease out, what might be relevant and what not.
    When you get to the fertility clinic, they will be happier dealing with you as an involved party rather than just telling you, here's what you have to do, now go away.

Take a long term perspective. You've already got 18 months of experience behind you. Try to remember as much as possible and take notes. They may seem irrelevant now but can form part of a bigger picture in 5 years time.

Finally, it's important that your husband gets everything checked out as well as you. I had standard Semen Analysis done over the first few years showing that everything was adeqaute. It was only after 5 years of checks and procedures with my wife that I then got a more detailed DNA fragmentation check done which showed problems. Some of the tests aren't cheap, but husband's tests are "usually" less painful and easier than wife's tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

*snip*

Advertisement