Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a dog trainer

• 27-03-2014 9:09pm

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice, I am between jobs at the moment and am thinking I would like to try something completely different. I would like to become a dog trainer.

I have done a bit of research and it seems that anyone can claim to be a trainer/behaviourist.
    Currently I don't have a dog and have no experience in dog training but it really excites me.

I was thinking about contacting an APDT and asking could I do some work experience with them to see if I enjoyed the work and see where it goes from there.

Is this the right way to go about it,any advice would be appreciated!
    Should I be looking at courses or looking for experience elsewhere??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

im in the same oat love to work with dogs as a part time job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

I know an excellent dog trainer in Dublin who has an instinctive way of communicating with dogs. It seems to me that she has a natural gift and a true affection for dogs. Someone like her could give you good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

I think you need to have a dog to fully understand them. Until that who would trust or believe you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Popescu wrote: »
    I know an excellent dog trainer in Dublin who has an instinctive way of communicating with dogs. It seems to me that she has a natural gift and a true affection for dogs. Someone like her could give you good information.

Not being funny but I'm sure people would say the same about Milan and I don't think we need another self certified "trainer" or "behaviourist".
    I have a true affection which I would call love but still wouldn't call myself a trainer. Far from it.
    I would actively encourage anyone looking to get into this kind of work to get the proper education and accreditations.

Although will watch this thread with interest cos its something that has crossed my mind but I think I would like to study more. Would love to know whats going on in the furry heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP you could maybe volunteer at a shelter/pound near you to get some experience?

• Advertisement
Advertisement