Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Profit and Loss Advice - Cafe

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello all,

Some background: I've had an ambition for many years to open a Café. Throughout that period I've done a lot of research into how to make this ambition a reality. All of that research is now feeding into my business plan.

However, one element of the business plan that I'm having difficulty with at the minute is the Profit and Loss Statement - specifically I'm having difficulty in forecasting revenue.

I know forecasting revenue is not an exact science but I would be grateful to posters for advice on revenue forecasting. Tips, techniques, strategies, methods, would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Revenue/footfall of similar business in the area or of a similar demographic in another area.
    You would probably want to test the price elasticity of coffee in the area as well. As a big coffee drinker, @€;1.80 Ill buy coffee even if its [EMAIL="muck...@€2.00..youll"]muck...@€;2.00..youll[/EMAIL] have to have good coffee..@ €2.40..youd wanna be doing something really special!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Civil Eng

Difficult to ascertain the revenue of similar businesses as most are not limited companies therefore don't make any form of accounts available to the public through CRO. But I do understand where you're coming from.

The only way of 'scientifically' taking a view on footfall would be to observe a similar business 9 to 5 and count?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Work out roughly what gross profit you need to cover your expenses(including your wage) , then how much sales you need to gain that level of gross profit.. (you need to take more than this ..).
    Try to break that down into number of customers /average sales ...
    Can your business/staffing accommodate that level of sales (remember most trade will be done at peak hours,)
    Good luck ...
    If you've never worked in a cafe try to talk to someone who has locally and get a ball park of their takings... Compare their location to yours ... After that pick a number....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I've gone down the route of calculating cost and hence a figure of sales to breakeven. The sales figure that drops out of the equation, I believe, is eminently achievable but I would like to validate it through another method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would try to keep it very simple and spend my time sooner than my money . For footfall at your possible location I would pick 3 or 4 different two hour periods in a week and stand with a clipboard on the footpath and mark the number of people passing. This could be a busy weekend , weekday morn , weekday afternoon and what you think is a peak time.

Then do the same near a competitor on a similar street / footfall area and see what percentage of footfall tend to use the cafe .Based on those figures you should be able to very roughly estimate potential sales.

As with all research , stay on the side of caution , so if you think you'll get 100 customers a day work you're figures on 80 customers a day but aim to get 120 / day .

• Advertisement

Or I could park my car outside my preferred location or competitor location - with my GoPro mounted inside the windscreen and record a full day of footfall?

I could analyse the footage later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Civil Eng wrote: »
    Or I could park my car outside my preferred location or competitor location - with my GoPro mounted inside the windscreen and record a full day of footfall?

I could analyse the footage later.

Now you're sucking Diesel !!!

Anyone else out there have advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Civil Eng wrote: »
    Anyone else out there have advice?

Is you potential site in the middle of a town? Is there a local chamber of commerce that may have activity info for the area?

Voltex wrote: »
    Is you potential site in the middle of a town? Is there a local chamber of commerce that may have activity info for the area?

Yes, the site is smack bang in the middle of town. Unsure whether there is a chamber of commerce but there is a decent amount of commercial activity in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi OP.

Give me a PM. I have specific forecast templates written for cats and restaurants which than feed into a p&l and an EBITA result.

Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hi OP.

I have specific forecast templates written for cats and restaurants which than feed into a p&l and an EBITA result.

Cheers Oliver

That first one sounds interesting! I assume all the formulas in it are purrfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Hi OP.

Give me a PM. I have specific forecast templates written for cats and restaurants which than feed into a p&l and an EBITA result.

Cheers Oliver
    Do you have templates for other businesss or just cafe/resturant?
    Thanks,
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

joejobrien wrote: »
    Do you have templates for other businesss or just cafe/resturant?
    Thanks,
    joe

Just hospitality business. But surely if you let me know what are you looking for, one could be changed to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KarrieF

Hi Oliver,

Could I trouble you for a copy of that file please? I have put together my business plan, and am meeting with local enterprise board next week, but this might add another level of detail to my plan. I will PM if its ok with you.

Thanks in advance
    Karrie

Advertisement