Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing dependant children on IEC

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Cant get a straight answer anywhere. All I can see on the Canada international page is this:
    Your children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada, provided that they meet all the normal requirements for temporary residence, including obtaining a temporary resident visa if necessary.
    If your children will be accompanying you to Canada, you must submit their application (a separate form is required for each person) with your own (for a study permit, work permit and/or temporary resident visa).

But it doesn't say which stage you add the children or where.
    Does anyone know do I need to get a visa for a school going child (aged 9) when we apply for working holiday visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You need a study visa for a 9 year old and you have to be in Canada to get that (IIRC). As best that I can make out, if you go to Canada on an IEC, with a child, the border guard will give the child a temporary visa and then you can change that for a study visa. I think there's some stipulation that you may need to demonstrate you can support the child (so have more than the 2,500 in the bank) and also the child has to have health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

Thats great thanks.
    Just in regards to the 2500. Both my husband and myself are hoping to get visas. Do we both have to show the 2500 in our accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Yes you both will have to show in excess of $2500 .You will be treated separately at immigration when u get your visa.I came through Calgary last Friday and proof of funds and insurance were requested and seriously looked at.Better to be safe than sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

bonbondar wrote: »
    Thats great thanks.
    Just in regards to the 2500. Both my husband and myself are hoping to get visas. Do we both have to show the 2500 in our accounts?

Yes you have to have 2500 each (plus more for the child, again each).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

Thanks a lot. Just realised also my husband will more than likely be there first and ill he following with our son so ill probably need to show more myself. Fingers crossed for the visa now. Its calgary we want to go to also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭edgy

Im in the same boat, applying through IEC and onto stage 2 now. I've a 12 year old who will be going with us if we get the visas so not sure about a visa or permit for her. Also when filling in the family information form on CIC do I say yes or no to her accompanying me to Canada, even though she will be?

Advertisement