Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls weekend kilkenny - ??

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭

so heading to kilkenny for the weekend with a good friend - bit of a catch up - half way between both our home places.. (mid 30's with moderate budget)

so i know the city a little - but not to stay in..

So any recommendations for things to do in particular? Nice bar's? pup's? Restaurants (not too expensive - but good food and service).

What is lautrec's like? I am confused - is the hole in the wall part of it? the coffee shop? and was the brasserie now the tapas bar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

lautrecs tapas is very good - would recommend

personally prefer it way more than the other tapas place close by called the grapevine

foodworks restaurant is very good also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Lautrecs is nice it's a spot we would usually go if heading out for some food altho I did prefer when it was not a tapas.

Lautrecs is not the same venue as the Hole in the Wall but the lads who run Lautrecs nowadays used to do the food in the Hole. They are lovely friendly lads -it's a grand place to eat and chill. You'd probably need to book at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

inthehat wrote: »
    Lautrecs is not the same venue as the Hole in the Wall but the lads who run Lautrecs nowadays used to do the food in the Hole. They are lovely friendly lads -it's a grand place to eat and chill. You'd probably need to book at weekends.

hmmm zuni seems to have a lot of good reviews?

not sure about eating in lautrecs - tapas is not for me - i like a good well rounded meal - with tapas i never know whether i have had enough to eat or not,,

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Zunis is god but expensive. I'd try Foodworks, well priced, nice place and good food.

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    hmmm zuni seems to have a lot of good reviews?
    Yea it's very popular and handy for the city center. Foodworks is good too. They would be more of the "main meal" typesmile.png. The Design Center Restaurant is really good too and not expensive.
    Any of these would need to be booked at weekends I'd imagine. Let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Zunis is god but expensive. I'd try Foodworks, well priced, nice place and good food.

Like Zuni but IMO foodworks is poor. Anywhere serving frozen chips with a €20 steak should be ashamed of itself....

hmm i guess there are lots of good places in kilkenny to eat…

hmm.. frozen chips - shame on them..

i would like somewhere with a nice atmosphere/relazed/not too formal.. nice wine.. not too expensive..

my mate likes italian too?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Zuni is very good. Would urge everyone to avoid Foodworks. I can't say why for legal reasons but for a couple who are so well off its disgraceful what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

hmm i guess there are lots of good places in kilkenny to eat…

hmm.. frozen chips - shame on them..

i would like somewhere with a nice atmosphere/relazed/not too formal.. nice wine.. not too expensive..

my mate likes italian too?

Try Cafe Sol or La Rivista. Both have excellent food and neither are too expensive. Good atmosphere in both,also in the centre of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭nhg

Go for the early bird in Zuni or Campagne, book in advance

So we are heading to KK this weekend…

Gonna eat in La Rinuccini I think..

So can you recommend some bar's? Somewhere with nice wine - I know of Lautrecs - but also places where the locals drink? I was told about a nice old mans bar but I cannot remember the name of it? And anywer else folk would recommend,.

not into the tourist traps of bars with scantly clan drunk folk

Bollards is a lovely bar -they have nice wine there too. It's more for locals and definitely not the drunk scantily-clad crowd:). It's at the junction of Kieran St and Parliament St.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

So we are heading to KK this weekend…

Gonna eat in La Rinuccini I think..

So can you recommend some bar's? Somewhere with nice wine - I know of Lautrecs - but also places where the locals drink? I was told about a nice old mans bar but I cannot remember the name of it? And anywer else folk would recommend,.

not into the tourist traps of bars with scantly clan drunk folk

That's a beautiful restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I could never understand how Rinuccini was ever popular, there are take aways that do better food and if you're going to pay what they charge then you'd be better off heading to Zuni, at least there you'll have zero regrets.

Aside form the food the place is cramped and not very relaxing. Zuni, Sol and nearly every other place has more comfort.

really - so many people have recommended it to me - like at work and friends of friends etc..

So where would you go for a nice italian?

I was in La rivista before and the food was ok.. only.. but I remember the staff being great..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 D Weasel

really - so many people have recommended it to me - like at work and friends of friends etc..

So where would you go for a nice italian?

I was in La rivista before and the food was ok.. only.. but I remember the staff being great..

Rinucinni is one of the nicest Italian restos I have ever eaten in. Seriously it is that good

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

Totally agree, would recommend it , early bird good value but you have to book it well in advance as its always really busy and so central in kilkenny city

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

catbear wrote: »
    I could never understand how Rinuccini was ever popular, there are take aways that do better food and if you're going to pay what they charge then you'd be better off heading to Zuni, at least there you'll have zero regrets.

Aside form the food the place is cramped and not very relaxing. Zuni, Sol and nearly every other place has more comfort.

Totally disagree!! But everyone to their own!Its my absolute favourite restaurant re food, atmosphere and service! Would highly reccommend always !! Its value for lunch especially is amazing, early bird excellent and dinner imo no dearer than anywhere else! ..Just my twopence worth..!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

catbear wrote: »

Have to agree with catbear...Always felt Rinuccini was poor considering the price bracket.

It is cramped, but some people like the 'buzz' of tables on top of one another. I found the food lacking in authenticity! Primo's (not in town) has a much more authentic Italian feel for half the price.

Agree with posters about the early bird in Campagne or Zuni...world class food and environment.

• Advertisement

Fab weekend had in Kilkenny - serious partying done.

Dinner in Rinuccini's was good - fabulous restaurant - beautiful and fab service. I had fish which was lovely but the sides that came with it really let it down - miserable little sad portions of caulifower and some kind of sauted potatoes; shame because sides are so easy to do but it really took from what could have been a perfect meal.

Left bank is lovely but not my scene - a bit pretentious.
    Morrisons downstairs was great for a boogie on fri night but saturday night upstairs was class - more my scene.

Completely fell in love with Tynans and Cleere's..
    The bar in the playwright is lovely - down stairs not so.
    There was a game on yesterday eve so we stayed out of the pubs showing the match - as in attempted to go into the Dylan and Matt the millers but left.

Had brunch in Paris texas, and dinner sat night in langtons - my food in langtons was v poor - but it was just bar food and we only wanted something to line the tummy so I didn't care.

The Newpark was great to stay in but the residents bar is dangerous.. partied late.

Fab time in KK though.. lovely people..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

shoulda had the diinner in paris, does unreal grub!

shoulda had the diinner in paris, does unreal grub!

staff were great also..

Advertisement