Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCS Amsterdam Marathon 2014

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Still early days but anyone here doing this? I've signed up for the full marathon. Any previously participants recommend any hotels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

I completed this marathon last October. I stayed with the missus in Hotel Fita. Address below.

Gets good feedback from trip advisor and i was very happy with the place.

About half way between the olympic stadium and the city centre. Bus/tram will take you either direction.

Jan Luykenstraat 37, Amsterdam Oud Zuid
    Amsterdam, 1071 CL
    Netherlands
    </SPAN>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I did it last year and plan is going back again this year. I stayed close to Centraal Station and got the metro down to the Olympic stadium.

Whatever you do check out the hotel photos first. We got an awful fright when we saw the stairs to our 1st floor hotel.

2013_10_01_archive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

We are thinking of doing this as our Autumn marathon. depending on my spring marathon (in two weeks :eek:). Any information would be appreciated, course type, pros, cons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'd a race report on my blog last year. Course is nice and flat as a pancake. Start in the olympic stadium, run around the city, out into the countryside and back in. Personally I loved it.

Whatever you do don't trust the pacers! They're not the same as the lads & lassies around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

course type

Flat! Hence using it for my sub 3 attempt. Have Limerick in a few weeks where I'm aiming for around 3:05.

• Advertisement

"""Whatever you do don't trust the pacers! They're not the same as the lads & lassies around here."""[/QUOTE]

Explain this please......??

"""Whatever you do don't trust the pacers! They're not the same as the lads & lassies around here."""

Explain this please......??

I don't have the link to hand of his report but when AKW did it the pacers were away off pace, going alot faster than their allotted pace

Eeeeekkkkkk... :eek:

I used the pacers for the first 4-5 miles of Manchester Marathon last weekend. They are a good guide but one must trust ones own pace and if they feel the pacer is going too fast (or too slow in my case), its to know when to pull back or push on. Surging pacers in the last few K are a nightmare...

Those last few miles knowing the pacer was somewhere close behind me gave me the drive to keep pushing as hard as i could. Getting excited about Amsterdam already. Post marathon high i suppose :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

viperlogic wrote: »
    Flat! Hence using it for my sub 3 attempt. Have Limerick in a few weeks where I'm aiming for around 3:05.

Pretty sure it doesn't have 3-hour pacers but it's a nice fast course and well organised marathon in a beautiful (for the most part) city with a great finish in the stadium.

There's one dull-ish stretch in the second half but don't think it lasts that long.

Always reluctant to commit so far out from an event but signed up for this one today. The web sites post "15,000 reached out of the 16,000 " frightened me into it. Anyone that is thinking of targeting this marathon take note: Its nearly full :eek:

• Advertisement

I believe it's 15K out of 41K

- Marathon: 16,000 entrants
    - Half Marathon: 18,000 entrants
    - 8K: 7,000 entrants

I believe it's 15K out of 41K

- Marathon: 16,000 entrants
    - Half Marathon: 18,000 entrants
    - 8K: 7,000 entrants

Upppspssssssss:o

Their news feed wasnt as clear as your post viperlogic. Panic diverted everyone, no rush! :P

Anyone else looking to do this?

they have released new entrant numbers....

- Marathon: 13,500 (limit 16,000)
    - Half Marathon: 12,000 (limit 18,000)
    - 8 km: 3,500 (limit 7,000)
    - Kids run: 50 (limit 1,500)

Anyone else started their training for this? 16miles this weekend. The road to Amsterdam has begun...

Anyone else started their training for this? 16miles this weekend. The road to Amsterdam has begun...

I'm week 4 into it already, 18 miles to do this weekend. All going well so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I'm week 4 into it already, 18 miles to do this weekend. All going well so far :)

18 miles already? Guess that's me out, 4 miles today doesn't really fill me with confidence!

PDCAT wrote: »
    I stayed with the missus in Hotel Fita.

Hotel booked out. Any other recommendations?

Has anyone else booked a hotel.

Considering booking Crown Plaza Amsterdam south. Does anyone know if this is a relatively close to Olympic stadium. On the map it appears so but some of these major city maps can be deceiving. I read somewhere (possibly here) that public transport the morning of is a big no-no. Any advice appreciated.

Considering booking Crown Plaza Amsterdam south. Does anyone know if this is a relatively close to Olympic stadium. On the map it appears so but some of these major city maps can be deceiving. I read somewhere (possibly here) that public transport the morning of is a big no-no. Any advice appreciated.

Google maps says thats a 2KM walk which is a nice warm up!

• Advertisement

Its not the warm up I'm worrried about, its the crawl back...:p

I picked up a deal on otel.com for one near the Heineken brewery which is about 4KM to the stadium, tram 16 and 24 go there. Just had an after taught, will trams be operating during/after the marathon as they pass right through it I think! eeeek

On running side of things, did my 22 miler last night, mentally tough but physically was ok. Body is fine today

I picked up a deal on otel.com for one near the Heineken brewery which is about 4KM to the stadium, tram 16 and 24 go there. Just had an after taught, will trams be operating during/after the marathon as they pass right through it I think! eeeek

phew, tram 16 will be in operation

http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/transportation/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Have left the hotel booking a bit late and a good few are booked out, Crowne Plaza, Best Western. I was looking at the Marriott but it's a bit dear.

Ideally I'd like a place within walking distance of the start.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Tnx,

TbL

Have left the hotel booking a bit late and a good few are booked out, Crowne Plaza, Best Western. I was looking at the Marriott but it's a bit dear.

Ideally I'd like a place within walking distance of the start.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Tnx,

TbL

Use trivago to find a hotel, as has a nice map feature. If you want to rent an apartment or a room in an apartment then look at AirBnB, some great deals there, and again you can search via map

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Use trivago to find a hotel, as has a nice map feature. If you want to rent an apartment or a room in an apartment then look at AirBnB, some great deals there, and again you can search via map

Tnx,

Managed to get the Crowne Plaza from that site.

TbL

Next item on the agenda is what pub for post race drinks?!

tick tock, tick tock.....
    Hows everyone set?
    Last long run here yesterday. Tapering has begun as of today. What are peoples goals etc? Trying to get my second sub 3. fingers and toes crossed.
    Did i read somewhere that there is no sub 3 pacer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tick tock, tick tock.....
    Hows everyone set?
    Last long run here yesterday. Tapering has begun as of today. What are peoples goals etc? Trying to get my second sub 3. fingers and toes crossed.
    Did i read somewhere that there is no sub 3 pacer?
    Looks like 3:15 is the fastest pacing group: http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/pacing-team-2/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement