Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCS Amsterdam Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

tick tock, tick tock.....
    Hows everyone set?
    Last long run here yesterday. Tapering has begun as of today. What are peoples goals etc? Trying to get my second sub 3. fingers and toes crossed.
    Did i read somewhere that there is no sub 3 pacer?

All good, thou the weird taper dreams have started! Did 18K with 10K @ HMP on Saturday followed by a 27K progressive run yesterday.

Goal is sub 3 (2:59:59!!) thou will be going out at ~2:55 pace. I don't think there is a 3hr pacer thou I saw a comment on facebook or strava saying there was, either way I hope I don't see them!

The app got updated for 2014 also over the weekend

Might as well get this started....

Name|Bib|Current PB|Prediction|pen
    viperlogic|5785|3:26:09|2:59:59|yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Best of luck folks.

Myself and Mrs AKW decided a few weeks ago not to head over this year. Back on track for 2015 though.

viperlogic wrote: »
    Might as well get this started....

I know TBL and likestosmile are doing this, anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

The nerves/butterflies have started!!!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

tick tock, tick tock.....
    Hows everyone set?
    Last long run here yesterday. Tapering has begun as of today. What are peoples goals etc? Trying to get my second sub 3. fingers and toes crossed.
    Did i read somewhere that there is no sub 3 pacer?

Hey - forgot you were doing this!

Best of luck to you - and not a bother to you either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

weetabix||4:39:xx|3:59:59|orange

Doing this as well, final training run done this morning! Looking forward to it now, target is sub 4 but would be happy with 4.09 which is probably more realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Signed up to do the half which starts at 1.20pm. Making my comeback from injury so hard to know what to expect. Only bought a bib last week off a lady in the very back pen (which i found out too late) so I'll have plenty of excuses for a poor time. Weather is looking good for sunday, especially for the marathon runners. I've the missus to cheer on in that first. Hopefully she'll be considerate enough to do a sub 3 which will give me enough time to get to the start line for the half :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

plumber77 wrote: »
    Signed up to do the half which starts at 1.20pm. Making my comeback from injury so hard to know what to expect. Only bought a bib last week off a lady in the very back pen (which i found out too late) so I'll have plenty of excuses for a poor time. Weather is looking good for sunday, especially for the marathon runners. I've the missus to cheer on in that first. Hopefully she'll be considerate enough to do a sub 3 which will give me enough time to get to the start line for the half :P

Hey Plumber,

Gooduck with the half, and to your missus for the sub 3.

Are you based over there, forecasts are showing it to be extremely windy?

TbL

Cheers Tbl. No, based here in the Emerald Isle. Weather looks dry and sunny, wind seems to vary from forecast to forecast. I'm going with the least windy for the moment. I'm only doing it as I over to see the girlfriend in action, won't feel as guilty then when I join the post marathon nosh up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Best of look to everyone running on Sunday, hope it's a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

All the best to those running this on Sunday. Look forward to reading the reports next week.
    Done this race last year and really loved it. Finishing in the old olympic stadium is a nice touch.

PDCAT wrote: »
    All the best to those running this on Sunday. Look forward to reading the reports next week.
    Done this race last year and really loved it. Finishing in the old olympic stadium is a nice touch.

Any suggestions /tips on the route PDCAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Any suggestions /tips on the route PDCAT

Well likestosmile - As your probably aware already, the route is flat. There is a slight drag at mile 20 or 22 (can't remember). It lasts about 100 meters or so i think. I was going ok at that time, so it didn't really affect me. I'd imagine, if you were really struggling it could cause abit of grief.
    From about mile 6 or 7, you start running out/back by the Amstel River for a number of miles. Alot of people have said they found this boring. I actually enjoyed it as it broke up the monotony of running on city streets. Also running through Vondel Park (mile 2 & 25, i think) helps change the scenery.
    There's an industrial area that you run through in the latter part of the race which is boring. Can't say the crowds are great, well not compared to the likes of Berlin. (Not much support out by the Amstel).

Finishing in the Stadium is a really good feeling. Good shower facilities after the race. I stayed in the stadium for a couple of hours after my race/shower and watched the 5/6 hour marathon runners coming in. (My wife was running the half marathon which also finishes in the stadium).
    Very good watching the slower runners celebrating as they finish, what for some is their first marathon.

Also if you have somebody supporting you on the day, there's a area at miles 3 & 5 where they can catch you twice as you run down one road, circle around and come back on the opposite side.
    Have a good run....

Thanks for the tips PDCAT. Really looking forward to it now.

Any venue for Drinks afterwards- TBL, Viperlogic?

Thanks for the tips PDCAT. Really looking forward to it now.

Any venue for Drinks afterwards- TBL, Viperlogic?

I don't know Amsterdam at all, this will be my first time going there. GF has been before but ammm lets say doesn't remember it!

Anyone have recommendations?

viperlogic wrote: »

Double EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK......... :eek: 20degrees:eek: not good for albino Irish woman!
    Never been to Amsterdam either but surely there is some Irish pub in city centre - Surely!

Great news for us half marathoners kicking off at 1.20 in that heat. Hopefully the marathon runners will be spared the worst of it.

Number picked up and now just relaxing. Very windy in exposed areas.

• Advertisement

Feet up here at the hotel now as well. Here's hoping the wind dies down a tad for tomorrow. Great buzz around dam square with the carnival going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and enjoy the celebrations:). No better place than the Dam.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and enjoy the celebrations:). No better place than the Dam.:D

+1
    Stay away from the coffee shops until tomorrow evening :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Live on Eurosport tomorrow morning - 8:15-11:00. Repeated on Monday at 07:45 and again, on Eurosport 2, at 10:30.

This week's athletics on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

TbL's 5k split is 22:21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice looking course. Plenty of shade. Doesn't look like there's any wind either.

Can you get the tracker without using the app?
    It's saying it's not compatible with my sh*tty phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    TbL's 5k split is 22:21

Is he looking to go sub 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Can you get the tracker without using the app?
    It's saying it's not compatible with my sh*tty phone.

Not sure

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Is he looking to go sub 3?

His plan is to run the first half around 1:32, definitely no quicker than 1:31. Looking for a solid sub 3:05, but if sub 3 is on in the second half, he'll go for it.

Advertisement