Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowence calculation to new reduced rate.

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

i know its been on here lots...im on disability allowance and got the dreaded "ask your landlord to drop rent or move letter"...im on €97.70 per week for two bed..with the new calculation system i cant tell how much ill be able to negotiate with landlord..im assuming if i tell them its two bed one for carer will it be kept at same rate or will i get a reduction yet again if i move to a €480.00 property or will documentation allow me stay here for my €600(im bad at missing things on forms and might have missed out on the doctors letter added to improve case for rent rate)...what id like to know before i ring him is...(A)will i get the €97.70 in lower rate accommodation or what will the new rate be per week (B) will the letter help my chance of not having to move..i cat find bedsit or house to have carer stay for that rate....(480)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Is the carer paying anything towards the rent? if the carers stays there and hence need an extra room I can imagine the CWO will expect a contribution from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rupert999

origanlly i was allowed to have second room rate (ithink!) cos of medical needs and was asked to explain why,its depression i have cause of sports injury so after countless meds that didnt help it,and 3yrs this july councilling isnt working thats its a lifetime thing.main reason i put on doc forms to balance second room is space for person or as i call it carer or family member to stay and monitor wen weekend or bad run starts,cos no food eating,insomnia etc..i can understand downturn and all reasons to not waste crust on bread.but main point i need to know is if my calculated rate for 600 a month is spose to be for 2bed.. will i get 99£ im on...is that the lowest/top rate or will i take reduction to £70ish and told go to 1 bed and get my 50£ rent allowence.....i basically need solid figures before i chat with landlord...

You need to discuss this with CWO about what's acceptable,goodluck.

had planned to in morning....just wanted to know if im getting bad/good news

still looking for advice on this,CW wasnt their today///

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

rupert999 wrote: »
    still looking for advice on this,CW wasnt their today///

I honestly can see you been allowed to keep a higher rent supplement when your clearly not in need of a two bed ,your a single person I'm sure it would be different if you needed a 2nd room to store large medical devices such as a special bed ,large type wheel chair ,and so on or your needed 24 hour care for a disability ,

In the current climate families are been cut and are having to find cheaper and smaller homes ,some of us are on our 4 the cut to rent supplement ,

You would be doing well if you get to keep a higher rate ,

Here's a link to the rates on citizens advice for the current year .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#l62fd2

i understand all of this,even the way times are as i said above i know its "eat your crust and dont waste food times)but a couple of yeas ago it was flat rates single person got for example 70€ per week,etc am i more less being called a single person again?just not to sure why their telling me move to a 480€ per month accom...if i go back to work i can make 120€are they saying then that i cant move home and top my own rent up when i can afford a €600 home then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry what's with all the bread references? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

OP: DO NOT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY!!!!!

While i sympathise with you and your case you must understand there are cases out there much much worse than your own, e.g children with special needs/disabilities losing medical cards/s.n.a's etc!the government/E.U/IMF are to blame so when the cllr's come knocking for your vote soon remind them of how they and their TD buddies have screwed up life for you and the rest of the people in need in ireland

I REMIND YOU AGAIN THIS IS NOT TARGETING YOU PERSONALLY,SO DO NOT TAKE OFFENCE!

yes i understand what your saying,councillers wont do anything but before my post gets shut down cause this isnt "political debate"..mainly im asking if anyone had this problem and what result they had..90% of people post but never post what happened in the end...as i know with medical cards and everything social sometimes they pulll stunts like this to check numbers of people accepting and those who arent and who left the country without cancelling their rent,letting someone live in their house etc...ive heard theirs no communication between county councills...so if u wanted you could sign up in limerick,cork,dublin for house and no one would be wiser.....im more or less wondering has someone had this problem...what outcome happened,all the old posts on this are 3 yrs old so im hping such said people got the letter,were told to get such form instead of having rent cut and had to move out that CWO said "if u get rent down by 50€ we will help u"...

• Advertisement

yes i understand what your saying,councillers wont do anything but before my post gets shut down cause this isnt "political debate"..mainly im asking if anyone had this problem and what result they had..90% of people post but never post what happened in the end...as i know with medical cards and everything social sometimes they pulll stunts like this to check numbers of people accepting and those who arent and who left the country without cancelling their rent,letting someone live in their house etc...ive heard theirs no communication between county councills...so if u wanted you could sign up in limerick,cork,dublin for house and no one would be wiser.....im more or less wondering has someone had this problem...what outcome happened,all the old posts on this are 3 yrs old so im hping such said people got the letter,were told to get such form instead of having rent cut and had to move out that CWO said "if u get rent down by 50€ we will help u"...

all C.W.O's will say is either A. find a place within budget or B. renegotitate with your current landlord,C.W.O's don't really care very much in my experience with them,but if you can get a letter from say the H.S.E to justify/back up your case or your GP,that is better than nothing at all,that was the one bit of (off the record) advice I once got from a C.W.O,have you tried any of those options???

thats odd thing about it,it came from a different department (health dep not rent allowence),and im not sure if i was asked for medical info,i know my CWO very well and hes really down to earth and sound.i can get all the records,and im doing councilling with SHINE every week for 3yrs..(smartly held onto all my reciepts) so its not like im sitting here writting up false stuff..my aunt is one who stays a night or my uncle when sh*t hits pan i go blank for 3mths,constant vomitting etc.so its needed in case i get sick in my sleep..(had very absusive parents when i was younger)i know that rent allowence departments changed all the forms i spotted i needed a passport photo,etc ...would it just be simply fill up file better for them,get land lord to drop to 550€ and CWO will call spade a spade and award me the 550€?

thats odd thing about it,it came from a different department (health dep not rent allowence),and im not sure if i was asked for medical info,i know my CWO very well and hes really down to earth and sound.i can get all the records,and im doing councilling with SHINE every week for 3yrs..(smartly held onto all my reciepts) so its not like im sitting here writting up false stuff..my aunt is one who stays a night or my uncle when sh*t hits pan i go blank for 3mths,constant vomitting etc.so its needed in case i get sick in my sleep..(had very absusive parents when i was younger)i know that rent allowence departments changed all the forms i spotted i needed a passport photo,etc ...would it just be simply fill up file better for them,get land lord to drop to 550€ and CWO will call spade a spade and award me the 550€?

The maximum your entitled to is €520 ,most likely they will only look at you as a single person ,

thats way better to know thanks....the 520€ is the number i was mainly looking for to able to tell landlord,and to be able to look for in new house,im much obliged with ur replys but must ask?have u been in situation before or work for the goverment?or able to calculate this from online, brothers a genius and is helping me but he still couldnt give a good answer like you have

thats way better to know thanks....the 520€ is the number i was mainly looking for to able to tell landlord,and to be able to look for in new house,im much obliged with ur replys but must ask?have u been in situation before or work for the goverment?or able to calculate this from online, brothers a genius and is helping me but he still couldnt give a good answer like you have

I'm just an ordinary Joe who's been though some rough times ,

If I know the info people need I'll post ,there's a few well known posters in here whom have always put people on the right track and deserve more praise ,

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm just an ordinary Joe who's been though some rough times ,

there's a few well known posters in here whom have always put people on the right track and deserve more praise ,
    I second that! :)

i got the RAS link thanks...my landlord has me here 9yrs,and i was talking with local council about adding medical files to housing application so they know full well why im on 2bed,this sounds like a better bargin for my landlord and me too,hes rural never visits me until i need applicance fixed,and ive only needed one in 9yrs so he knows im good for another 5 yrs,might hit a stumble block being its 2 bedrooms and the cost being 600€ for one person ,but at least now if he drops rent he will be guarennteed his money if he has new tennent as well.a little hope to the burden....thanks very much once more

i got the RAS link thanks...my landlord has me here 9yrs,and i was talking with local council about adding medical files to housing application so they know full well why im on 2bed,this sounds like a better bargin for my landlord and me too,hes rural never visits me until i need applicance fixed,and ive only needed one in 9yrs so he knows im good for another 5 yrs,might hit a stumble block being its 2 bedrooms and the cost being 600€ for one person ,but at least now if he drops rent he will be guarennteed his money if he has new tennent as well.a little hope to the burden....thanks very much once more
    the council are very bad for housing,i was waiting almost 11 years to be housed,i have 3 kids as well but that didn't bump me up the list,they claim they don't have the money to fix them up,hence the longer than ever wait!even now we tend t have some issues with the house and they'd let you rot before they'd fix it,private landlords are much better than the councils are!

so when u join RAS then u forefit the landlord helping fix the house,that might be a problem, but im part of urban district,are you dealing with a county council or urban district?as you can see i have to move to house smaller which i dont mind but theirs none in area,so if it means landlord gets money and i can say at least that ull get 500€ for 5 yrs (this house isnt solid but im a ex barman i can at least chat with lads for building help.)im will ing to try anything once i can get the rent down and live here.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sorry what's with all the bread references? :confused:

sorry never noticed this,"eat your crust ,you wont have anymore for couple of hours"reminds me of my aunts in 80s when i was a kid...its a sign of people being poor or having to stretch money when i was growing up in late 80s/90s...im 28 i was working wen i was 14 i didnt get joys of parents bringing kids on holidays or buying and Ipods/Iphones....

• Advertisement

sorry never noticed this,"eat your crust ,you wont have anymore for couple of hours"reminds me of my aunts in 80s when i was a kid...its a sign of people being poor or having to stretch money when i was growing up in late 80s/90s...im 28 i was working wen i was 14 i didnt get joys of parents bringing kids on holidays or buying and Ipods/Iphones....
    i'm the same age in the same situation,so i know how it feels but life goes on :rolleyes:

ya i get ,bit pieved at this not allowed top up rent thing...been doing since i moved here in 2005 didnt know it was against rules,plus i was hoping to try and get 12hrs work to try and get back out their..looks like i cant move to bigger house to pay extra myself if i do...tis all f*c*ed:confused:...and how has everyone else been getting this letter since 2012 but i get it in 2014...me thinks somethings a miss....either missed a medical form when handing back the review form or they looked at my bank statements from last review wrong....

ya i get ,bit pieved at this not allowed top up rent thing...been doing since i moved here in 2005 didnt know it was against rules,plus i was hoping to try and get 12hrs work to try and get back out their..looks like i cant move to bigger house to pay extra myself if i do...tis all f*c*ed:confused:...and how has everyone else been getting this letter since 2012 but i get it in 2014...me thinks somethings a miss....either missed a medical form when handing back the review form or they looked at my bank statements from last review wrong....
    If your working since you were 14 and your only 28 how are you receiving rent allowance for nearly 10 years since you where 18, you must of had an extremely short working life. And come on the vast majority of children(like me) never had a holiday bar a day trip to salthill or the zoo and until 8 years ago iphones didn't even exist and computers/ipads etc were an expensive luxury hence all the Internet cafes.

You currently probably receive Social Welfare(€188),medical card, esb allowance(€35)/until recently phone allowance, free tv license, free travel,living alone allowance(€10), fuel allowance(€20) and a two bedroom apartment in dublin for the last ten years all at the taxpayers expense with no child dependants. You really don't know what poverty is. Any young working professional in Dublin would be living in shared accommodation and have all the expenses that you currently get allowances for but it would come out of their taxed salary which is providing your benefits, after which they'd have less disposable income then you. A bit of perspective is needed when playing the poverty card comparing it to the 80's:mad:.

donegal11 wrote: »
    A bit of perspective is needed when playing the poverty card comparing it to the 80's:mad:.

have a look back why i was asked it dont be defensive ...no offence to you i dont live in dublin or a fancy house cos if u read i was topping up rent.i live in a sticks town,i didnt have a short working life either cos i always found 12hrs to try and go to full time but every 6mths it was stumbling blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If your landlord moves onto the ras scheme he may get more than the monthly rent allowance rate. Also on the ras scheme the landlord is responsible for all maintenance and repairs. Chances are though that you would have to show clear medical evidence of a need for a second bedroom before this would be allowed.

UPDATE*********working on that...so far ive rang landlord and hes not to pleased but will get back to me..ideally he wants 550€ to be lowest....CWO said try get landlord down to 485€ would be great but ur in your habital surroundings and wouldnt/shouldnt be moved..." so im thinking they want updates ...in fairness they moved around days in CWO offices...so he was giving mke heads up for Rent allowence lady on thursday they also moved me to different rent place in cork..so i think they want me to have files ready to able to keep same rate or for medical reasons and what reason im ill ..ive meeting with GP thursday for letters and update to files,name into auctionners and have response/cluid forms filled...i have my councillers letter already and reciepts of 3yrs for RA offical on thursday...the balls is playing middle an not knowing if they will up amount for landlord to 550 or drop it...RAS scheme is way better for me cause ive got a year more of councilling//add to 3yrs this june..and if it doesnt work im on meds and back to being lab rat for Psch teams and hospital visitss o see if meds are working...which ive done already for 5yrs. 2004 -2009

***update****

said i wouldd add this in case it happens anyone...i got all my letters and got slight reduction by 50€ landlord.i qualified for RAS scheme with way better ease and Rent allowence is now ok too.difficult thing to get the letter but take your time or your carers will kick your ass for runing around...still going to try go on RAS scheme but at least i dont have to move now and can get back to were i was,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

donegal11 wrote: »
    If your working since you were 14 and your only 28 how are you receiving rent allowance for nearly 10 years since you where 18, you must of had an extremely short working life. And come on the vast majority of children(like me) never had a holiday bar a day trip to salthill or the zoo and until 8 years ago iphones didn't even exist and computers/ipads etc were an expensive luxury hence all the Internet cafes.

You currently probably receive Social Welfare(€188),medical card, esb allowance(€35)/until recently phone allowance, free tv license, free travel,living alone allowance(€10), fuel allowance(€20) and a two bedroom apartment in dublin for the last ten years all at the taxpayers expense with no child dependants. You really don't know what poverty is. Any young working professional in Dublin would be living in shared accommodation and have all the expenses that you currently get allowances for but it would come out of their taxed salary which is providing your benefits, aftengr which they'd have less disposable income then you. A bit of perspective is needed when playing the poverty card comparing it to the 80's:mad:.

occurred to me why a second bedroom was needed for the occasional stayover. woul.d myself settle for a folding bed or bed settee in the living room. no need for a full time guest room.

living alonr allowance is 7.70 but i take your point totally

Advertisement