Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair value for furniture in rented property

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased an investment property with furniture included in the purchase price. Can I assume a fair value for the existing furniture and discount 1/8 of its value from income for income tax purposes? Or should I have purchased the property with one contract and the furniture with another?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It doesn't really matter how you structure the transaction.
    The value of the furniture for tax purposes, commences on the date of purchase of the furniture- as new furniture.
    You may get away with writing it off on a flatline basis- if you have a separate invoice for it- however, Revenue do not normally allow you to write down the price of secondhand furniture. Without a separate invoice- don't bother even trying- you'll probably end up getting audited- even if your finances are fine- taking a day out for an audit is annoying.

Advertisement