Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sold broadband and it not available to me

Options
  • 27-03-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    just wondering where i stand on this issue, my partner and i moved into a new house last may, he contacted eircom regarding broadband and was assured we could get next generation broadband, to get this we had to install a phone line (which we didn want but agreed on to get the broadband) 2 weeks went buy and still no modem, we contacted them again to which they had told us we couldn get next generation broadband but could get 1mbs, once again we were assured of this. We then received a bill for €34.26 in the mean time. 3 more weeks went by an still no word on modem, we contacted them again and were told that the sales agents should NOT have sold us broadband because we couldn't get it in our area. So we told them we only purchased it under the guarantee that we would get the broadband, i have sent them letters stating these facts and how we will not pay the bills as the services were not as described. We are now getting debt collecter bills in the post for €234 can someone help us, or have any info on what to do?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paul74910

Comreg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi
    just wondering where i stand on this issue, my partner and i moved into a new house last may, he contacted eircom regarding broadband and was assured we could get next generation broadband, to get this we had to install a phone line (which we didn want but agreed on to get the broadband) 2 weeks went buy and still no modem, we contacted them again to which they had told us we couldn get next generation broadband but could get 1mbs, once again we were assured of this. We then received a bill for €34.26 in the mean time. 3 more weeks went by an still no word on modem, we contacted them again and were told that the sales agents should NOT have sold us broadband because we couldn't get it in our area. So we told them we only purchased it under the guarantee that we would get the broadband, i have sent them letters stating these facts and how we will not pay the bills as the services were not as described. We are now getting debt collecter bills in the post for €234 can someone help us, or have any info on what to do?
    thanks

Hi toniacollins

I can confirm that under eircoms terms & conditions of service a phone line cannot be provided on the terms of broadband availability as broadband can never e guaranteed and is supplied on the basis of its own merits.

I can understand your intention was to use this line for broadband however a working line needs to be installed and tested for broadband before any attempts to provide you with it can be made and as a line comes with a twelve month contract this would need to be held.

If you would like to challenge this please feel free to raise a complaint through our customer service centre on free phone 1901 where you can request this to be investigated in full.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Hi
    thanks

Hi toniacollins

I can confirm that under eircoms terms & conditions of service a phone line cannot be provided on the terms of broadband availability as broadband can never e guaranteed and is supplied on the basis of its own merits.

I can understand your intention was to use this line for broadband however a working line needs to be installed and tested for broadband before any attempts to provide you with it can be made and as a line comes with a twelve month contract this would need to be held.

If you would like to challenge this please feel free to raise a complaint through our customer service centre on free phone 1901 where you can request this to be investigated in full.

Thanks
    Al
    Alan

Eircom dooesn't know if it can supply Broadband until it has run a line to the house - doesn't sound very 21st Century - and than that line has to be paid for, for 12 months - doesn't sound particularly customer centred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Maphisto wrote: »
    Hi
    thanks

Hi toniacollins

Thanks
    Al
    Alan

Eircom dooesn't know if it can supply Broadband until it has run a line to the house - doesn't sound very 21st Century - and than that line has to be paid for, for 12 months - doesn't sound particularly customer centred.
    Hi Maphisto

I can understand your point and feelings towards this however this is indeed the case.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Alan, thanks for getting back - I am gobsmacked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wow, no way I would stand for that or pay a single penny. I have no doubt the rep told you inaccurate information when making their sale. Probably take a case against them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

If you were talking to the Rep over the phone when they gave this commitment, I think you should request Eircom provide the recording of both of those phone calls to you. Then, have Eircom listen to them and should it be the case as you outlined, you would have a case of false selling and advertising.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

From what you say, it appears you were given a guarantee that if you bought Product A you would get Product B, this is something Eircom must offer or else allow you to leave your contract without any charges. The fact maybe that the Rep gave wrong information by accident is not your problem, it is that of Eircom, and responsibility is with the provider to ensure they train their staff fully. 

I am sure the Eircom reps can confirm or correct if the case may be, my understanding of the consumer rights legislation. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toniacollins

Hi toniacollins

Thanks
    Al

hi al,
    thanks for getting back to me, we were definitely told that we could get the broadband and the sales reps never mentioned any doubt in getting the internet, we have tried on numerous times to contact eircom but keep getting trown from one sales person to the next, we contacted eircom this week and were told a supervisor/manager would get back to us the next day, we havnt heard from anyone yet. Could you get someone to get back to us?

thanks

Tonia

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toniacollins

If you were talking to the Rep over the phone when they gave this commitment, I think you should request Eircom provide the recording of both of those phone calls to you. Then, have Eircom listen to them and should it be the case as you outlined, you would have a case of false selling and advertising.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

From what you say, it appears you were given a guarantee that if you bought Product A you would get Product B, this is something Eircom must offer or else allow you to leave your contract without any charges. The fact maybe that the Rep gave wrong information by accident is not your problem, it is that of Eircom, and responsibility is with the provider to ensure they train their staff fully. 

I am sure the Eircom reps can confirm or correct if the case may be, my understanding of the consumer rights legislation. 

yes this is a good idea if we could get talking to someone in eircom, it seems like the sales reps don't want the hassle of it all.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Hi toniacollins

Thanks
    Al

hi al,
    thanks for getting back to me, we were definitely told that we could get the broadband and the sales reps never mentioned any doubt in getting the internet, we have tried on numerous times to contact eircom but keep getting trown from one sales person to the next, we contacted eircom this week and were told a supervisor/manager would get back to us the next day, we havnt heard from anyone yet. Could you get someone to get back to us?

thanks

Tonia
    You will get no reply from Eircom.  You need to email Comreg.  Today.  Take it from someone who managed to 'get out'.  It's like the mafia lol.  Comreg is your only hope.  They're well wise to Eircom's tactics.  

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes contact them, I have no doubt the rep sold to you via misleading information and anything should be null and void, if not even compensation for wasting your time & effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

Comreg should really hit the telco companies in Ireland with fines of 10% of Turnover, when it is a case of repeated bad behaviour. At the end of the day, unless the companies are hit on the bottom line, they will not change. 

Advertisement