Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My '72 Challenger project

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Started the dynamat install, I knew I didn't have enough to finish it so I've more on order.

Installed the brake pedal assembly too

I found the new door strikers on a shelf when I was looking for some bolts so decided to whack them on now too before I lose them. 

Next up was the steering column install... I clearly hadn't paid enough attention to this when I took it off & put it away, but I'm really not happy with it's condition. I've been looking online now at aftermarket fully collapsible units that have a tilt function too.. so my plan is to order one of these to replace this one… adding all new firewall gaskets with it. 

I have a mate popping past tomorrow so to make the most of a second set of hands, I think I'd like to get the boot lid & the doors mounted back on the car. This meant that I needed to go out to the shed tonight after work to glue on the boot rubber, I've even followed the destructions which said to clamp it down after gluing so hopefully it'll settle nicely over night now.

The doors went on today, always nice when a five minute job makes such a huge change to the car

Then the boot lid went on... this is the boot lid open reflecting the contents of the shed like a mirror, this kinda blew my mind for a bit

Next up to go on was the bumper & the rear valance panel 

Last thing for the day was to fit the flip top fuel cap... no real reason other than I think this is such a cool feature of the cars styling 

Installed the new shiny door handles today, needed to clearance the door internals a little as the internals of these new handles are a little larger than the OE ones. I also adjusted the door strikers  correctly so the door sits right when closed.

Next I went to install the new billet bonnet hinges, sadly I've discovered that two of the 3 captive nuts on each side have damaged threads & you can't put a bolt through them... so I guess the next job is re-tapping them. 

• Advertisement

Got a bit more done on the Dodge, needed to remove the old key barrels from the old door handles.. these needed to then be metal polished as they had years of filth & grim on them before putting them back on the car.

The new fuel tank has the fuel pump built into it so I no longer need to run the mechanical style fuel pump on the side of the engine, so that has to come off

I have a shiny Moroso blanking plate to back on to cover the opening for the fuel pump arm.  

My new collapsible 9 way tilt steering column turned up, as did the new uni joint needed to mate it to the steering box.. I felt it odd that this much needed part didn't come in the kit... 

​​​​​​​Press fitting that onto the steering box shaft was "fun"  with the steering box still in the car 

The kit did come with a new firewall mount that is much nicer than the old OEM one it replaces & actually seals the hole up nicely 

Where the D shaft slides out of the bottom of the column is the first of 3 collapsible sections 

The other two are on the column in the car one before & one after the under dash mounting points... really happy with how this looks vers the old unit  

Also had my painter stop by for a coffee chat so we took that time to properly align the boot lid now, as I had only thrown it on roughly. The new rubber is making it sit a little higher than it should but the boot catch isn't adjusted fully down yet, we'll give the rubber a few weeks to settle at this clamping force for now & then adjust the boot fully down to it's final height then.

Went to re-tap the captive nuts that hold the bonnet hinges on & when applying the tiniest amount of pressure the captive nut snapped off.... not good

Thanks to the chassis strengthening bracing that I've installed access to these captive nuts is a huge issue now.... but I think I have a plan, as the captive nuts are in line I'll drill out the bottom one & make up a new plate with new nuts welded to it that I put in behind the bracing, for now I just have a normal nut & bolt in the top hole replacing the lost captive nut.. I'll not tackle that this weekend mind you this sounds like a perfect future Dave problem if I ever saw one... 

Finished off the install of all of the sound deadening on the firewall & in the rear of the cab 

Whilst going through some boxes, I found a new reconditioned wiper motor that I don't remember ever buying... but I glad I did as the old one would have looked crap in the engine bay.

I think the next job I'll look to do is run the wiring, I have some new looms to go in. I might look at doing the same on the XB & get the wiring in for both at the same time. This is the dash loom.  

This is the engine loom 

I've now ordered a new front light loom & a rear light loom

I want to clean up the transmission before it goes back in, someone has painted it silver in the past & it's not held up great. I plan to clean all the paint off & repaint it I guess. I'm not sure if standard paint is the go here or if I should be looking at engine paint as it's better with heat maybe? What have people used that's good?

The new custom 4 core radiator I ordered turned up, got it from the same company I got the XB one from & decided to go with the same twin electric fan set up that's on the XB. Looks like a nice bit of kit that should do the job.

• Advertisement

Went to put the radiator in on Sunday & found that the bracket sides don't line up with the sides of the opening for the rad on the car. 

You can see here each side that it's a little short & I'll have to make up some brackets to bolt between the car & the rads brackets now to make this fit

That had me wondering what went wrong as this is the larger big block rad size that I got. I still have the old front end of the car as garden art (I plan to make something cool like a BBQ maybe out of it)

Broke out the measuring tape & sure enough the opening in the new panel is 4 & 1/4"s wider... it never occurred to me to measure this prior to ordering the rad as I don't remember any doco around the front panels saying that they where uber wide because reasons... 

I spoke to the Rad shop & as they don't get a lot of asks for Big Block Challenger rads & as they did nothing wrong they're not keen on taking it back. I did think about trying to sell this & getting another custom size rad made up, but I think I'll just extend the wing brackets on the side of this rad out a bit & use this one as it's more than big enough to keep her cool

As I said in the XB thread I've being dying with a flu & a chest infection for the last month so it's been a way too long since I've been out in the shed, the fact that this is one of coldest winters we've had here in a while isn't helping either.

But I really need to get on with these bloody cars, so as my mate was over decided to get the bonnet & the guards on the Challenger too. The Challenger bonnet is stupid heavy even for the two of us lifting it, so I worked out a way to balance it a few inches about where it sits on some foam & then I could tilt the hinge up & get the two front bolts in... really happy with how easy that install was.

Then bolted up the rear & installed the struts 

I have the guards on now too but they are just roughly bolted on, I'll organise for my painter to come round soon & we'll line up all the gaps then. He was very adamant that that wasn't something I should do without him & that suits me just fine. 

It's been weeks since I've done anything in the shed, need to get moving again. To that end I want to get the trans back in the Challenger this weekend, it's finally stopped raining so I've been able to spend some time during the week cleaning & painting this.

How it started

Then cleaned

Then primed

Then a couple of coats of high temp silver paint

Just need to paint the dipstick tube in Hemi Orange & replace the torque converter & then it's ready to go back in.

Advertisement