Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for all - please dont buy as gifts for anyone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amalgam wrote: »
    ScouseMouse, I wasn't aware of that, ugh, I'd rather get cash, tbh..
    You can convert them to cash for a fee. Unless you mean you prefer to get a bonus cash in hand and off the books, obviously many places would not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Another advantage of the one for all - great for wedding gifts. Do like one of our guests did, give a one for all €50 as a gift and write to value of €200 on the card. You cant do that with cash. Meanwhile it is months later before the couple discover the card has not as much on it as they thought, in which case they will think they must have spent it anyway.

Wrong thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136862

The REI "me2you" cards are a lot more widely accepted than one4all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elanskid

Hi
    I wish I had seen this thread before, as I have recently enquired about why my One4all voucher had 0 balance when I knew I had a balance as I had noted it on the back of the card. I now understand why this has happened with similar one4all vouchers and think that it's unbelievable that they are still getting away with clearing people's balance. I just hope the upcoming legislation will change the situation. I will never buy another one4all voucher now that I know how they operate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

elanskid wrote: »
    Hi
    I wish I had seen this thread before, as I have recently enquired about why my One4all voucher had 0 balance when I knew I had a balance as I had noted it on the back of the card. I now understand why this has happened with similar one4all vouchers and think that it's unbelievable that they are still getting away with clearing people's balance. I just hope the upcoming legislation will change the situation. I will never buy another one4all voucher now that I know how they operate.
    :confused:
    Their t&c's are very very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's this other voucher called cash, it's accepted in all places that accept One4All vouchers as well as many more, you should check it out, it's available in banks and ATM machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:
    Their t&c's are very very clear.

Its very clear many people do not read T&Cs, and very, very clear that one for all are taking advantage of this. -I am not making trying to start argument or discussion, just stating reality. Southpark even had an entire episode on it.

In a previous post I said they can be cashed in for a fee. In another thread someone said this is not possible if given as a work bonus. I am still wondering if there is an easy way to get rid of them, i.e. the most economical way to convert work bonus ones to cash.

They can always be sold on adverts but I would rather not have the hassle. I have not seen any shop listed that I would often use, many are overpriced, but there would come a point where I would spend them if the loss in selling them was greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Super valu accept them... if youre struggling to use it within a certain timeframe, use it to buy your groceries

retalivity wrote: »
    Super valu accept them... if youre struggling to use it within a certain timeframe, use it to buy your groceries

Only a few do

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I just checked the balance of a card online. The card was issued on 16/12/14. One transaction for €20 in July 2015, with a balance of €0. And then it shows "Changed status to BANK CANCELLED on 17/12/15". I can't remember but it's likely the card was only for €20 in the first place. Just wondering if anyone knows what the "changed status" thing is all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Just found out today that Penny's, Guineys and Booths accept the one 4 all cards... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Please dont give Gift Vouchers to people. They are an absolute con, and i say that as somebody who has issued them. I do my best to discourage customers from them and i've even contacted the holders (if i know who they are) to tell them to use them up, but i've still been left with loads of money i dont feel i've earned down through the years.

Ive no doubt One-for-all has no such qualms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Satriale wrote: »
    Please dont give Gift Vouchers to people. They are an absolute con, and i say that as somebody who has issued them. I do my best to discourage customers from them and i've even contacted the holders (if i know who they are) to tell them to use them up, but i've still been left with loads of money i dont feel i've earned down through the years.

Ive no doubt One-for-all has no such qualms.

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense.

The business model for these cards does include the money left over when cards expire as part of their profit model - particularly the ones that work as prepaid credit cards as they can't charge the very hefty acceptance fees one4all do. Its not like they don't make the expiration clear, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Utter nonsense.

You could give your opinion some credibility if you constructively critiqued mine. I'm open to having my mind changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Utter nonsense.

Remember during the crash all the shops that went out of business and gift vouchers were worth nothing ? Shops love issuing them as they can be sure you probably wont claim them.

IMO there is nothing really thoughtful about them. You cant be bother to think of a gift to give to someone, so you are giving them a cash equivalent. Why not just give cash?

The only voucher I would buy for someone would be an amazon.co.uk one. You are sure they will want something on it and they wont get bankrupt within in the next few years.

The usual joke is that you don't trust them with the cash :pac:

Amazon vouchers are the most useful if you're giving to someone you won't physically meet or in a different currency than the cash you would have - Paypal charges too much. Although SEPA transfers have helped a lot intra-EU for that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

L1011 wrote: »
    The business model for these cards does include the money left over when cards expire as part of their profit model - particularly the ones that work as prepaid credit cards as they can't charge the very hefty acceptance fees one4all do. Its not like they don't make the expiration clear, however.

I have the investment prospectus from me to you gift card from last year. The non redeem level for a multi site card is estimated at 2%.

I would guess that vouchers for specific places such as restaurants and hotels and spas would have a far higher non redeem rate.

But considering the number of outlets one4all and me2you are redeemable in, its forgetfulness rather than anything else that causes non redemption.

2% would be higher than the average commission from the card provider for the credit card based ones. Not so for the limited acceptance ones that can and do charge more.

I believe the smaller the initial value the higher the non redeem also, from seeing similar documents. People forget small ones easier than a big one that was likely a bonus payment or a collaborative gift.

Advertisement