Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair result?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi there,

I don’t want to post this on the relevant college site for fear of it be recognised – but am hoping someone can help me out here.

I am a mature student in a particular college - all going well, except for module / subject, that is a bit more subjective than objective in terms of its content. I recently submitted an assignment, which I had put quite a bit of work into – and it was returned to me with a very low score ie 10%. Reason for low score – seemingly, I used a fictional company on which to base my analysis, as opposed to an established organisation. Note – nowhere in the question does it state the company has to be a real entity.
    When I discussed this with a couple of my fellow students on the course – some claimed they too used a fictional company – but still managed a high score. Now, in theory I would understand the low score if the content within the assignment was way off – but at no stage in my feedback has it been said that content was off - the only feedback given was that, it wasn’t a real company and therefore lacked some credibility.

Not sure what to do on this now. I fear I may have ruffled some feathers for some reason, and don’t want to cause upset but I don’t feel I am not given a fair mark or opportunity here. Plus, if I take this any further (maybe to department head) – where does that leave me for trying to secure a fair mark off this lecturer….?

Any advice appreciated!
    Maura

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I would start by meeting with your lecturer face to face to discuss this. There's no point emailing back and forth as things can get lost in translation. 10% is very low indeed, which would suggest that the lecturer believes you missed most, if not all of the main objectives of the assignment. I would ask him or her to meet with you to discuss this and where they believe you went wrong. I wouldn't bother comparing yourself to your colleagues, as there really isn't any point, it doesn't get you anywhere. Don't go in all guns blazing, listen to what he or she has to say and hopefully they will do the same. Depending on what they say, you can then plan your next move, for example taking it to the department head as you said. But I would exhaust all informal procedures first. No one like being complained about to their boss without the opportunity to rectify it themselves!

Advertisement