Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ireland Credit Card - Any good?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

I heard the Tesco Ireland Credit Card had some problems a while back and some customers weren't happy.

Any issues in 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Still no online banking. Recent reports of the account opening process taking a while as well. Plus slow to send out the monthly bill.

Other than that, it is the best reward credit card on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Agree on the bill.. my due date on Tesco CC bill is usually around 20nd every month, im lucky if the statement arrives around 15th.
    I usually just pay around 20 % of the balance just in case.

Applied for credit limit increase after 6 months but was declined, since they wanted to see more how my account performs. During that 6 months i paid the card off completly couple of times, and now i have used maybe 20% of the total limit granted for me.

But other than that i dont have any problems with the card. Pain in the a** not to have online banking though

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Glad it's not just me or our postman. Our statement arrives 10-15 days after the statement date. Fortunately have a direct debit in place to pay the full balance off each month, otherwise we'd probably incur penalties.

I wrote to them last week to say that I thought it was totally unacceptable to have such a massive and consistent delay in receiving the statements. Let's see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiscoFever

Did you see in the news yesterday that Tesco Bank has withdrawn all their insurance products? This leaves the Tesco Credit Card as their only product in Ireland. I wonder if they will pull this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Is there no way to see online what your monthly spend was? And when payment is due?

• Advertisement

DiscoFever wrote: »
    Did you see in the news yesterday that Tesco Bank has withdrawn all their insurance products? This leaves the Tesco Credit Card as their only product in Ireland. I wonder if they will pull this too?

Short term, at least, Tesco have clearly made a decision to keep their credit card product. If they are going to pull this also, it is not going to happen in the near future.

Is there no way to see online what your monthly spend was? And when payment is due?

Correct, Tesco have zero online banking. You can ring them, on a freephone number and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Looking at Februarys Tesco Cr card statement-they are still using the old sort code a/c-no mention of ibic/iban.
    I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

- Randomly discovered this time last year, that all transaction are on-line
    - Just add them up or call 24/7 for the answer! (UK CS has been great, very polite)
    - Your payment date will always be something similar, give or take a day
    - Would recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

One of the great benefits of a Tesco Credit card is that it has a club card built in. You get 1 point for every Euro you spend outside Tesco on any purchase. The points can be converted online to pay Board Gas bills.
    They (Tesco)double the value for paying a bill. So if you have say €40 in vouchers you can pay €80 off your bill with it. Lots of other ways to spend the points on their club card website.

• Advertisement

pjproby wrote: »
    Looking at Februarys Tesco Cr card statement-they are still using the old sort code a/c-no mention of ibic/iban.
    I wonder.

I got my last months statement yesterday, i was shocked :) Due date 19th of april :)
    And it had the new IBAN etc nr printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

Agree its a pain not having access on line to transactions... as my husband is main cardholder, they had to send out forms for us to sign so I could get a balance over phone ...
    was a bit of a delay in tying it in with clubcard points, so I am expecting a lot of vouchers in post nxt mailing period.
    was given a c/limit of 3750 which I thought was fairly high... but thankfully have not come near to that, as we try and pay it off each month.
    overall , have no problems with it

One of the great benefits of a Tesco Credit card is that it has a club card built in.

When I applied online they asked me what my current tesco clubcard number was.

Does this mean they will put the same number on my credit card clubcard, or just that any balance on the old card will be transferred?

Does this mean they will put the same number on my credit card clubcard, or just that any balance on the old card will be transferred?

Your CC will have a different clubcard number, but they will link it to your current clubcard

finnteme wrote: »
    Your CC will have a different clubcard number, but they will link it to your current clubcard

So any points earned on my cc account will go automatically onto my older linked clubcard?

So any points earned on my cc account will go automatically onto my older linked clubcard?

Thats correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

You club card statement will have two entries on it for points earned in Tesco and points elsewhere. You will also have the total amount of the two added together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As a matter of interest, I applied online for their CC but I never received a confirmation e-mail to say the application was even being processed. What is the average response time?

- Randomly discovered this time last year, that all transaction are on-line

where online?

where online?

Register or signup here.. Tesco CC transactions will appear in the clubcard statements

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/myaccount-register/
    To register, use your Clubcard nr printed in the credit card.
    If you already have a Tesco Clubcard, call them to get them linked.

• Advertisement

Tesco launched a new Current Account and Tesco Bank app in the UK.

Unfortunately you cannot use the app for your Irish Tesco credit card. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have a Tesco Visa and while the card in itself is fine and doubles as your clubcard, the support is terrible. A couple of years ago they moved to Bank of Scotland and the service really went downhill. There is no longer a facility to ring and find out your credit balance without speaking to member of staff. This is usually a lengthy process and even though you have to enter your sixteen digit number to get through in the first place, the first thing they do is ask for it again.

For choice, I would never involve myself with anything linked to Bank of Scotland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

annascott wrote: »
    I have a Tesco Visa and while the card in itself is fine and doubles as your clubcard, the support is terrible. A couple of years ago they moved to Bank of Scotland and the service really went downhill. There is no longer a facility to ring and find out your credit balance without speaking to member of staff. This is usually a lengthy process and even though you have to enter your sixteen digit number to get through in the first place, the first thing they do is ask for it again.

For choice, I would never involve myself with anything linked to Bank of Scotland again.

They might not be the best, but they are better than AVANT-CARD.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

This is usually a lengthy process and even though you have to enter your sixteen digit number to get through in the first place, the first thing they do is ask for it again.

Every time you are prompted to enter your cc number, just press # and then twice again. (after you hear that your number is not recognized...)Works for me perfectly. :cool:

They might not be the best, but they are better than AVANT-CARD.

...what are the sins of Avant Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm afraid you've seriously mixed it all up. Tesco and *Royal* Bank of Scotland (different to Bank of Scotland) owned Tesco Personal Finance as a 50/50 joint venture. Tesco then bought out RBS and now fully own it.

So if the service has gone downhill, at least blame it on the right people ;)

Sorry. Did not know that there are different Banks of Scotland. :confused:
    Perhaps you are right and Tesco now own everything. They must still be using Scottish support offices though. Scottish people always answer the phone. Also, regardless of who is responsible, for the last three or four years, the service has been well below par.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tesco Bank is based in Scotland :)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'm afraid you've seriously mixed it all up. Tesco and *Royal* Bank of Scotland (different to Bank of Scotland) owned Tesco Personal Finance as a 50/50 joint venture. Tesco then bought out RBS and now fully own it.

So if the service has gone downhill, at least blame it on the right people ;)

Tesco Bank, themselves, provide GBP settlements for UK customers.

However, in Ireland, Tesco Bank, use HSBC Dublin to provide EUR settlements and provide other outsourced services. Its akin to a joint venture given the level of outsourced services to HSBC.

'If the service goes downhill' then HSBC may be part responsible.

• Advertisement

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    Every time you are prompted to enter your cc number, just press # and then twice again. (after you hear that your number is not recognized...)Works for me perfectly. :cool:

Must try that. I too entered my number, waited in the queue to be served, but then was asked for it again.

Advertisement