Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stonemad Ultra weekend 12/13 July

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Saw this the other day, http://www.stonemadultra.com/ , as I'm in Kilkenny it's something I might do.

Any combination on one or both days of Ultra, marathon, half with a 10k on the Sunday only.

Half marathon each day would be the extent of it from me.

This is its second year, last year's thread seemed to have been very positive from participants, although the very small numbers is a bit off-putting.

Anyone else interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I think the small numbers last year was the perfect way to start a new race. Easy to control and iron out teething problems. I suppose the other reason there wasn't a big field was that not many are mad enough to to back to back ultras.

I really enjoyed the second day last year although 34 miles in 30 degree heat was tough. Great way to see a different part of the country though. I think it will suit anybody training for an Autumn ultra such as UTMB.

Don't think I'll do it this year as I'm trying to concentrate on shorter distances but would recommend it. My tip for anybody doing it (especially day 2) would be to familiarise yourself with the route, it was easy to go wrong last year and wasn't fully signposted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For the second year in a row I can't do this as busy with stuff, damn shame as its local :(

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Did 2x26m last year and plan on joining the big boys this year. Small format does suits this very friendly race. lovely scenery in an isolated country side. If you like crowded races this one is not for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

The price and logistics really turned me off this last year, but the good reports from the initial outing - which is a credit to the organisers - sort of makes it seem like a reasonable outlay.
    Logistically it's a pain for me - means a few days of a pass required - not sure I will be given the time away with a young family - all manners of evil DIY will be heaped upon me.

All in all it's something that would interest me and the timing fits well with my current plan.

I would love to see an option for doing the whole lot as a single outing - maybe a night / early morning start for leg one to pick up leg 2 on the 2nd day - but that wouldn't suit the organisation - Wonder if it is something I could drop in myself to start with day two in Graiguenamanagh . ie. run leg one with a view to getting to the start line for day 2 on-time. (sorry, slightly OT)

Scenery is smashing - the river section is a real gem.
    Small numbers is sometimes a good thing - makes for interesting conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

It states on the site that participants need to do their own navigation. I wouldn't have a clue about that!! How much would you need to know for Day 1 and when they say Day 1 is flat is it just a trail or is it crazy mountain running like the Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains run (it may have put me off for life!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Day one you start on the river bank in Athy or Leighlinbridge and finish on the river bank in Graiguenamanagh, theoretically you could go wrong but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do so. Flattest course I have ever run, I mean completely!

Day two was marked and had marshalls at junctions so navigation was again not a problem but theoretically more challenging than day one. Very hilly on day two so take it handy on day one.

I did 2 x HMs last year and entered again for this year. Absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back.

Great so its just a run along a river bank? Very tempting! I want to do a half and have signed up for Rock & Roll but think this seems much nicer. I don't think I would be up for back to back halves though!!

Well you won't get flatter or friendlier!

The only thing you might miss if it's your first is the lack of pacers or support on the route. The scenery was so fantastic though that I welcomed the relative solitude. It's all about what you like though, personally the Rock and Roll HM sounds like hell on earth to me.

The Barrow to cool off in afterwards is heavenly too.

You'll find someone at the start who'll have a similar target to tag along with.

Great thanks for the advice, think I might be tempted to enter! I'll probably come last but as long as I finish i'll be happy! Not the fastest runner but enthuastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

audreyp wrote: »
    Great thanks for the advice, think I might be tempted to enter! I'll probably come last but as long as I finish i'll be happy! Not the fastest runner but enthuastic :D

You won't be if I manage to convince the oh and sign for 2 hm's...:D

• Advertisement

911sc wrote: »
    Did 2x26m last year and plan on joining the big boys this year. Small format does suits this very friendly race. lovely scenery in an isolated country side. If you like crowded races this one is not for you

Signed up again for this year, UM format. Joining the big boys:D
    A bit apprehensive about it , I am yet to run an Ultra distance.
    Today was my last big training run with a 42kms to the office, starting at 4:30am, 10.1kph average. Spot on.
    Obviously had to run back home tonight & took the shortest route, e.g. 10kms. Felt very good @ 11kph average.
    The real test is tomorrow morning to see how good my recovery is.

Info pack just arrived via email today, check your junk folder just in case.

Also, 10k on Sunday has been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Signed up again for this year, UM format. Joining the big boys:D
    A bit apprehensive about it , I am yet to run an Ultra distance.
    Today was my last big training run with a 42kms to the office, starting at 4:30am, 10.1kph average. Spot on.
    Obviously had to run back home tonight & took the shortest route, e.g. 10kms. Felt very good @ 11kph average.
    The real test is tomorrow morning to see how good my recovery is.

I'll be joining you 911sec, will be very interesting to see how this one plays out tactically. Never raced over two days, obviously in one day races you want to leave 'it all out there', but doing that in this race on day 1 would be crazy.

So it will be interesting to see how different people approach it. Go too easy on day 1 and you might be fresher for day 2 ( well as fresh as you can be after ~40m) but you might leave yourself too much to do if you want to be at the sharp end. So many variables!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Signed up for the 1st day's half last night. Too early in my first marathon training to start doing b2b's... Has anyone booked the shuttle? Just wondering if I could double up with somebody, leave one car at the start, another at the fisnish... PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

inigo wrote: »
    Signed up for the 1st day's half last night. Too early in my first marathon training to start doing b2b's... Has anyone booked the shuttle? Just wondering if I could double up with somebody, leave one car at the start, another at the fisnish... PM me if interested.

PM sent there now, sounds like a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

66_Lad wrote: »
    PM sent there now, sounds like a good idea
    Welcome back the brit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Just signed up for the Saturday Ultra. I would love to do the Sunday too, but that's for next year maybe :)

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Many heading for the 2 day Ultra? Looks like a nice chilled event on a smashing course and it'll be great to have company to run & enjoy it with!

Last year, 15 started the 2-days UM, 11 finished.
    5 started the 2-days FM, 2 finished.
    3 started the 2-days HM, 3 finished.

Then you got people joining in for 1 day, various distance.

This race is more like a group of friends meeting up for running for a week-end, and a sleep over on the floor in a hall. There were some seriously fast runners though...
    This is what made that race so enjoyable for me last year.
    Nobody is just a number...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Last year, 15 started the 2-days UM, 11 finished.
    5 started the 2-days FM, 2 finished.
    3 started the 2-days HM, 3 finished.

Then you got people joining in for 1 day, various distance.

This race is more like a group of friends meeting up for running for a week-end, and a sleep over on the floor in a hall. There were some seriously fast runners though...
    This is what made that race so enjoyable for me last year.
    Nobody is just a number...

Brilliant stuff. Organiser recce'd day 1 course today and posted some lovely pics on twitter. She's going to have them on Facebook later.

Sat can't come quick enough. All the best for the few days rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mebuccaneers

I have just entered and am really looking forward to it now!!

I'm doing the ultras both days and I am trying to work out a plan for the weekend...

My plan at the moment is to travel from Naas to Athy on Saturday morning for the ultra on day 1 and getting the bus back to Athy after the race and heading back to Naas.
    Then on Sunday morning leave Naas nice and early and drive to Graiguenamanagh for the start of the ultra on day 2 and back to Naas that evening after the race.

If anyone would like to car share on either one or both days let me know and we can meet up or I can pick you up along the way!!

Mebuccaneers,
    See PM please.

Going by the chat here and on the FB page there seems to be a bigger crowd taking part this year. Should be good craic. My favourite race from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mebuccaneers

Mebuccaneers,
    See PM please.
    Check your inbox.

Ran my heart out in the HM on both days and absolutely loved every minute of it.

Some pretty impressive times for a small field.

Race of the year for me and can't wait to go back.

Advertisement