Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counterfeit Goods

Options
  • 28-03-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a pair of runners on line from what I thought was a legitimate outlet store. I received a letter of detention from customs yesterday telling me that the goods were being detained and would be destroyed within 10 days if I didn't lodge an appeal on suspicion of the goods being counterfeit. Looking at the website and the situation now the website does look slightly dodgy, however I assumed it was just an outlet store selling off old stock relatively cheaply. The runners in question weren't exactly cheap, I was charged €70 which I paid for on credit card. I have informed the supplier who has offered me a 35% refund. I did buy them in good faith. What should I do next?!, would the credit card company be able to assist, I will pursue a full refund from the supplier but I don't hold out much hope.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

get on to your credit card company and tell them you want to do a chargeback. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Beano wrote: »
    get on to your credit card company and tell them you want to do a chargeback. Simples.

If it was that simple most of this forum wouldn't exist.

emeldc wrote: »
    If it was that simple most of this forum wouldn't exist.

It is that simple. The OP has been supplied counterfeit goods. Their credit card company should be more than happy to do a chargeback for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It is that simple. The OP has been supplied counterfeit goods. Their credit card company should be more than happy to do a chargeback for them.

As long as he has all the paperwork and proof that the goods are counterfeit he may have some chance. But trust me it's not simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

How do you know that? OP hasn't seen the goods, customs can make mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

The fact the seller has already offered you a 35% refund on the basis that they are counterfeit is clearly an admission of guilt is it not ?

Customs has a suspicion that they are counterfeit, you can lodge an appeal and buy some time on the basis that you bought in good faith and have not even seen the goods.

Or right away contact the CC company armed with your 35% refund emails and Customs letter and due to the goods being counterfeit (admitted by the seller) request a chargeback, which would probably look better for you than an appeal anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Cheers Beano, I had never heard of this but have just called the credit card company who seemed fairly sure that I could get a full chargeback. I needed to send them a receipt, copy of the letter of detention from customs and link to the website. Should be 2 - 4 weeks before resolved (or not!)

What is the seller saying? Did they admit they were counterfeit?

Would you not contact customs and ask to see the goods?

mattb74 wrote: »
    Cheers Beano, I had never heard of this but have just called the credit card company who seemed fairly sure that I could get a full chargeback. I needed to send them a receipt, copy of the letter of detention from customs and link to the website. Should be 2 - 4 weeks before resolved (or not!)

check back and let us know how you got on. It seems a lot of people dont realise that this is even possible. the credit card company generally takes the side of the consumer not the seller.

What is the seller saying? Did they admit they were counterfeit?

Would you not contact customs and ask to see the goods?

Customs will inform the right holder of the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) to seek confirmation that the goods infringe an IPR. I can agree to abandon the goods for destruction or object to or contest the destruction of the goods.

The response that I got when I went to the seller effectively confirmed that they are counterfeit. They didn't express any surprise or any sort of denial. They apologised for any inconvenience and offered me 35%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Looking at the website and the situation now the website does look slightly dodgy
    I can only recall one time a "slightly dodgy" looking site was not dodgy, this was www.converse.ie

Every other time it is usually blatantly fake. The name alone usually tells it, like a .net .to address, or ireland or dublin in the title, or official.

Post the site up here so people can give pointers for the future.

You need to be vigilant for your own sake, its not like the labour/admin involved in doing chargebacks is done by volunteers. This is part of the reason you have such extortionate credit card fees/interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You see the reason your purchase is been questioned , is because it was not bought from a recognised franchised outlet that has the '' Intellectual Property Rights '' to sell.

In other words , your runners may not be counterfeit at all , but as the sale will not have been sanctioned by the Branded owner , you cannot win .

If the Customs have this suspicion , and have told you so , in writing , it is unlikely they will allow you to pay the duty and receive the goods .

Another reason why Capitalism in Ireland is alive and well .

You see the reason your purchase is been questioned , is because it was not bought from a recognised franchised outlet that has the '' Intellectual Property Rights '' to sell.

In other words , your runners may not be counterfeit at all , but as the sale will not have been sanctioned by the Branded owner , you cannot win .

If the Customs have this suspicion , and have told you so , in writing , it is unlikely they will allow you to pay the duty and receive the goods .

Another reason why Capitalism in Ireland is alive and well .

The seller admitted they were counterfeit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While I think they are counterfeit, the seller did not admit so. You say he did by inferance by an offer of a discount for the hassle caused but that is not an admission. The OP has actual!y been very vague as to exactly what the seller said.

No, what the OP said was:
    The response that I got when I went to the seller effectively confirmed that they are counterfeit. They didn't express any surprise or any sort of denial. They apologised for any inconvenience and offered me 35%!

Not expressing surprise or denial could equally be because they know they are not a legitimate outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Its highly likely I'd say that customs have been alerted by the Shoe company about known counterfeit goods being sold by this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

what was the web address????

check back and let us know how you got on. It seems a lot of people dont realise that this is even possible. the credit card company generally takes the side of the consumer not the seller.

How should I play this with the seller now? I haven't been in contact with them since requesting the chargeback from the c/c company? Should I cease contact and just hope the chargeback works out? If they do just refund 35% back onto my card should I Inform the chargeback and ask them to go after the remaining 65%? Thanks again.

Tell them you want 100% refund or you will be pursuing chargeback with cc company.

Well after 8 weeks the chargeback came back in full! Many thanks for your help.
    See link to the website in question. http://www.outlet1nike.com/

• Advertisement

Well after 8 weeks the chargeback came back in full! Many thanks for your help.
    See link to the website in question. http://www.outlet1nike.com/

That website is quite clearly dodgy, there is a spelling mistake right up top on the front page plus the FAQ section looks like it was written by google translate. It's important to be discerning about where you order from.

Advertisement