Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pad for the wife...

Options
  • 28-03-2014 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Not a swop nor plea for sanitary advice.

However, havent a clue of ipads etc., but her lap top died and she'd like an ipad. But if it doesnt have a usb port, and she will spend most of her time on it taking and saving pictures off the camera, watching downton fcuking abbey, and surfin the net, should i get her something else?
    Any sugestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A tablet is not a laptop substitute. They should be considered an extension to the main computer. You cannot copy photos off a camera onto an iPad unless your camera can upload them wirelessly. There was a kit Apple sold enabling this but afaik it is no longer supported, and I'm not sure it worked very well (although I'm open to correction here).
    The iPad has a USB port but it's not designed for data transfer and it's a proprietary format. I would think look into getting a laptop to replace it and then in time consider getting a tablet. My 2cs :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

However, havent a clue of ipads etc., but her lap top died and she'd like an ipad. But if it doesnt have a usb port, and she will spend most of her time on it taking and saving pictures off the camera, watching downton fcuking abbey, and surfin the net, should i get her something else?

I bought my wife an android tablet as a replacement for her laptop and it suits her grand. I got one with a full USB port though so it's easy to transfer data using USB keys or you can plug in a normal mouse or keyboard if you like.
    On another matter you might want to edit the title of your thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

Does she have an iPhone? If yes iPad is the way to go..

Does she have an iPhone? If yes iPad is the way to go..

If she wants to copy photos off a digital camera an iPad certainly is not the way to go. Tbh I stand by earlier suggestion of replacing the laptop with a laptop and get a tablet down the line. Tablets will never replace an actual computer

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cheers folks. Methinks tis a new laptop we need, but she's set on a pad type thing.
    More research needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How about a Surface RT ? Full USB and HDMI out. Normally I'd be an Apple fanboi but I've used the USB adapter on the iPad and it is restricted. The surface is closer to a laptop than the iPad is IMO and is about the same price.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET a laptop,tablets take 3 hours to charge,
    I have a tablet,3q , as far as i can see ,it, would have to be rooted to get usb drive acess.
    IT has mini usb port.
    MANUAL doesnt mention usb,apart from usb to pc connection mode.
    i,d prefer any old laptop ,2.0ghz, cpu , to a new ipad.TABLETS, are fine ,as long as you have a laptop for photo storage ,casual use.
    I use dropbox app, or sdcard to transfer music to my tablet.
    maybe buy laptop,for the moment ,2,oghz,cpu,1gig ram,70 euro on adverts.ie
    i plug in my laptop,
    only use battery when i,m travelling ,on a train etc
    Make sure tablet has full usb interface, has usb mass storage mode to acess usb drives..

i don,t want to root it, so i just use a sdcard to transfer data.

I think dropbox app is on apple store, androd play store.

I upload to dropbox from my laptop.

Check has tablet ,got a sdcard slot before you buy.
    Many tablets have no sdcard slot.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-28&npages=2&brands=&action=brandstory

ww.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-147507&pages=1&prod=147507&brands=samsung&image=

i thing the samsung tab 3 is as good as an ipad, and its cheaper.

Theres ten and 7 inch models avaidable too.

Just back from browsing the goods on offer in pcworld.
    After hearing you folk, I think ill try and repair the laptop, and in a couple if weeks maybe get a surface or a galaxytab. Jeez those surfaces are sweet.

Surfaces are badly designed, if theres a problem, difficult, expensive to fix them.
    PLenty of good samsung tablets avaidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i wouldn't buy an ipad but thats just personal preference. i hate how controlling they are with their hardware. not just apple in fairness but sony, xbox etc. sounds like you probably want one that has a sd card slot for transferring photos. plenty of them out there. there are alot of windows 8 pro laptops that might be worth a look. these run the pro version of windows 8 and not just the 'rt' version. so basically they can run all the software your wifes laptop could (unless it was a mac!)

a few choices here

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/windows-8-tablets-release-date-specs-and-prices-916134

and

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417564,00.asp

they have their strengths and weaknesses like the razer edge has a geforce gt640 in it so it can play decent games therefore the battery life is poor compared to the others but that might not be a big thing for some people.

most, if not all of these would have sd slots of some description with unrestricted access as you would find on a laptop.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Surfaces are badly designed, if theres a problem, difficult, expensive to fix them.
    PLenty of good samsung tablets avaidable.

They are great devices though. I'd pick Windows RT over Android myself (and I own an Android tablet!) . You get the full Office suite on the RT as well which is a plus!
    The Samsung tabs have their own customized version of Android which is awful. The Nexuses are better as they run stock Android

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 for Nexus. iPads and iPhones are grossly overpriced and I'm on my second iTouch so not an Apple knocker but they are just screwing people with proprietary hardware.

is it hard to change a hard drive?
    (cant make any worse a fist of it than the langers I dropped it into to try and repair)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

is it hard to change a hard drive?
    (cant make any worse a fist of it than the langers I dropped it into to try and repair)

Piece of piss in most cases, type the model number into YouTube and watch a how to video - maybe put an SSD drive into it, breathe a bit of new life into the laptop?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Piece of piss in most cases, type the model number into YouTube and watch a how to video - maybe put an SSD drive into it, breathe a bit of new life into the laptop?

thats what Im hoping to do.
    how do i find what HD I have? tis a Vaio, is it in device manager under disk drives?

thats what Im hoping to do.
    how do i find what HD I have? tis a Vaio, is it in device manager under disk drives?

Find a disassembly guide online/youtube and take the current hard drive out. It's likely a SATA drive. Stick an SSD in it and the system will be flying along :)

Nick

://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=cr&ei=7cE7U9W4BI7g7Qaq_YH4Cg#q=change+hard+drive+laptop&spell=1

://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=cr&ei=7cE7U9W4BI7g7Qaq_YH4Cg#q=change+hard+drive+laptop&spell=1
    is laptop is 7 years old,drive is sata type hd,take out battery,
    some drives are in metal case,
    4 screws ,if so,
    remove 4 screws,remove drive,put in new drive,
    casing may have small interface,put new drive in the case,put in 4 screws,
    slide on new interface onto new drive,
    it only goes on 1 way.

put drive, case unit, in the same place as it was before.

do not lose any screws,put em in a bowl.
    if drive is not tight in case it wont work properly.

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=cr&ei=7cE7U9W4BI7g7Qaq_YH4Cg#q=change+hard+drive+laptop&tbm=vid

theres no need to know the model of the drive,
    they are all standard,
    eg ide or sata .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqgWCY8IRZU

some drives have no case ,
    just a small interface slides onto the sata interface,
    between the laptop and the laptop interior drive connector.

forget, aboit ssd,s,
    open drive cover, see what you have,
    eg seagate 340hj drive,
    all drives sata are compatible with any other drive.
    like sims in your mobile phone,

older ;laptops, pre 2008 use ide drive interface,
    not compatible with sata interface.

some old laptops wont detect or work properly on drives over 500gig.

put back laptop,cover,
    reboot laptop.
    if it works put back battery.

you,ll have to format the drive, and put an os on it.
    eg windows. or linux .

SOME drives just replace old sata drive,
    eg no case ,or interface, just goes onto laptop sata interface.

http://www.newmodeus.com/harddrives/SATAPATA.jpg

old ide ,pata drives have large pin connector,
    see pic above.
    go to youtube,
    type in laptop drive install ,search

THERES no need to buy a drive ,same as old laptop drive model,

as LONG as its same type,
    all modern laptops now use SATA type hard drives.

YOU could download an iso image, linux mint,
    fits on 1cdr, use imgburn free program to burn image,at speed 2x ,IN OPTIONS, settings, burn speed.
    file is 620meg approx.
    LOOKS very similar to windows 7,
    it has apps, browser, music, video player as part of the install image pack.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38

its alot faster than windows, and needs no antivirus installed .

YOU don,t need to be an expert to use mint linux,
    menu is similar to windows 7.

post what laptop you have eg dell latitude 450jk

on hardrive theres a label with info,
    eg seagate model no 567gh 80 gig drive.

DO not touch pcb, underneath the drive, or MAYBE put on a glove,
    theres, a risk of static damage to the pcb.if you touch it.

IF DRIVE is in a case, put new drive in case, line up 4 drive holes with holes in the case,
    put in 4 screws to secure drive to the case,
    slide on extra connector ,IF there is one there, onto drive interface.

GENTLY, slide drive interface/connector onto laptop interface , until its tight.

ALL the old laptop ,ide drives ,ive seen have a slide on connector ,between the drive interface and the laptop, interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i've done it twice and both times went through the keyboard. i.e. pop the keyboard up and remove the ribbon and hard drive is there under a plate. this current laptop seems a little different though so best follow a video tutorial or post laptop model here

99 per cent of laptops,
    have a cover with 2 or 4 screws,on the laptop ,underneath, near the middle,3inch long,x2,5inch approx.
    remove the cover ,to acess the hardrive,
    look on youtube, Install hardrive laptop video .
    theres maybe 1 or 2 smaller covers, to acess ram, wifi card,

IE its unlikely you,ll have to remove keyboard to put in a new hd.
    Laqptop,will boot, acess websites, if you boot from a livecd.
    linux mint boot cdrom,
    you,ll have to put in wifi password, to use the web with a livecd,
    every time you boot up pc.
    UNLESS YOU DO a full linux, mint install process.

eg install linux on the hardrive, make a 5-6gig drive linux partition.
    as part of the install menu, process.

• Advertisement

ill let you know how it goes! cheers peeps

Advertisement