Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belsonic 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Looking forward to this!!! :D

Going Wednesday to QOTSA!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Times for Biffy tonight

21.30 - 23.00 BIFFY CLYRO

20.00 - 20.45 TWIN ATLANTIC

19.00 - 19.30 LITTLE MATADOR

18.00 Gates open

should give some indication for Wed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

rock whore wrote: »
    Times for Biffy tonight

21.30 - 23.00 BIFFY CLYRO

20.00 - 20.45 TWIN ATLANTIC

19.00 - 19.30 LITTLE MATADOR

18.00 Gates open

should give some indication for Wed

Indeed, considering that there are also two supports for Queens of the Stone Age, it'd be interesting to know, if there was only one support act, would the headliners play a longer show, or maybe just start and end earlier, like 9-10.30pm.

A 10.30pm end would be handy for anyone getting the 11pm Bus Éireann/Translink Ulster Bus service back to Dublin, since the next one after that is 1am.

The next Aircoach bus from Glengall St to Dublin, after their 10.30pm service, leaves at 12.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

Anyone know can you smoke at these gigs?
    (Obviously not going to do it if I'm near the top, I'm not that much of a pr*ck)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

matt.finn wrote: »
    Anyone know can you smoke at these gigs?
    (Obviously not going to do it if I'm near the top, I'm not that much of a pr*ck)

Ya it's outdoors enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

Well last time I was at an outdoor gig in Croke Park bouncers were half trying to stop people so that made me curious…
    And yes they were cigarettes they were smoking :P

Cheers for the reply

Yeah they do that at gigs in Landsdowne Road too. It must be to protect the pitch or something. My friend got thrown out of Green Day in Hampden Park for smoking. But Custom House Square is smoke friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Looking at the facebook page, it seems like headline acts are on stage at around 9:30 (although Kodaline were 9:15). Support acts seem to start at 7 and 8.

Hope it stays the same for QOTSA gig - really want to see The Minutes, but also want to head to the pro-choice rally at 6 at City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Cannot wait for Queens tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Wheres a good boozer to hit after QOTSA ?

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Wheres a good boozer to hit after QOTSA ?

Voodoo perhaps bunch of rockers no doubt there its located near the Ibis city centre maybe just over 10 mins walk to custom house square.

The Limelight is hosting the official Belsonic afterparties but its a nightclubby plastic cup kinda shambles IMO. Laverys and the Stiff Kitten bar are near here and they are grand. It'll be more like 20 min walk to get to those parts.

Voodoo perhaps bunch of rockers no doubt there its located near the Ibis city centre maybe just over 10 mins walk to custom house square.

The Limelight is hosting the official Belsonic afterparties but its a nightclubby plastic cup kinda shambles IMO. Laverys and the Stiff Kitten bar are near here and they are grand. It'll be more like 20 min walk to get to those parts.

Voodoo looks promising..

10293757_679666438786563_4889258256526696166_o.jpg

Found Limelight after thing on facebook too, looks like a typical student night in a club, will give that a miss.
    Thanks for info.

21.00 QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

20.00 BRODY DALLE

19.00 THE MINUTES

18.00 Gates open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wall of text incoming :p

QOTSA were fantastic last night, absolutely rocked the place. First time seeing them live, so was expecting them to be good but defo surpassed my expectations. Really good atmosphere. Josh Homme was in fine spirits (him going ruff ruff to the wee dog, well I nearly couldnt cope with the cuteness). Highlights were Little Sister, Make It Wit Chu, Feel Good Hit Of The Summer & Do It Again. And the slow song from Like Clockwork, but I can't think of its title. Wish No One Knows had been a little later in the set - a lot of people around where I was were still not really into the gig yet so were talking loudly and taking selfies and kept pushing in and out etc, so didn't really get to enjoy it as much as I was hoping to.

Brody Dalle was really good - hadn't listened to her stuff before but will defo check it out. I want her luminous hair. Didnt see The Minutes unfortunately as I had to get a much later bus up than Id planned.

Thought it was well organized too. Got through security in about 2 mins, and early on bar queus were moving really well. Between BD & QOTSA queues were bad, but still not as bad as other gigs I've been at. Good choice at the bars too. Not just píssy beer thank the gods.

All in all, think it was the best gig I've been at this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I saw the setlist last night and it was 16 songs, was surprised nothing from LTP had been played. Knew they wouldn't leave Little Sister out. Gutted I couldn't make it up, but I didn't miss anything too spectacular setlist wise at least. Still always a class show to go and see though, so glad to hear of everyone having a blast!

Great gig, not as good as the o2 (that would be a hugely order in fairness) but still absolutely brilliant. He might be the best frontman going, always on form.

Organisation I thought was brilliant too, hardly a que in sight. It's a wonder how promoters do it so badly down south.

Good crowd too, was there early to catch The Minutes, all in all good stuff all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

Enjoyed it much more than the Odyssey gig, last November.
    Good atmosphere, Josh in better form, and hey, a calm night weather-wise meant the sound wasn't completely terrible ....

From 'Smooth Sailing' on I was ALL IN!

nm wrote: »
    Great gig, not as good as the o2 (that would be a hugely order in fairness) but still absolutely brilliant. He might be the best frontman going, always on form.

Organisation I thought was brilliant too, hardly a que in sight. It's a wonder how promoters do it so badly down south.

Good crowd too, was there early to catch The Minutes, all in all good stuff all day.

What size of gigs are you referencing. I guess that Belsonic would be of similar size capacity to the Heineken Weekender gigs that were held in Dublin Castle, around 2004 -2008.

The Marlay Park, Phoenix Park or RDS type gigs in Dublin in recent years, where people have experienced delays getting in and out of the venues, have a much bigger capacity and then as a result, more chance of queues at the bars.

In fairness to the promoters like MCD, Pod, Aiken, Raglane etc, they indicate in advance of the gigs, and include on their websites, the various travel options, by shuttle bus service, public transport, and routes for private cars and private coaches for the various venues like the Phoenix Park, Marlay Park, and Lansdowne Road, Royal Hospital Kilmainham, the RDS and Westport Festival.

Belsonic is more accessible in the same way that Dublin Castle was for those Heineken Weekender May Bank Holiday gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is there a better rock n'roll band out there today than Qotsa ?

Rock n'Roll royalty :-

http://thebaz1.tumblr.com

all in all great gig , & as others have said very well organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Flawless night.

Really went off without a hitch, I don't know much about the last album but the mellow breakdown in the middle with the keyboard etc. was very pink floyd esque and eclectic, caught me by complete surprise. They also had enough of the old classics in there to satisfy my craving for proper rock and roll.

They really are a band at the top of their game.

Great crowd btw, good atmosphere, no pushing or anything anti-social.

Bvi1LzfIYAAYUbP.jpg

3rd time seeing them and possibly my favorite, hope to see them many more times before they hang it up

ps. found the dog on twitter

BvhNVfdCYAAftjT.jpg

Haha what a dog famous now!!

Enjoyed the supports the Minutes and Brody Dalle (Mrs. Homme) knew the Distillers songs but thought her solo stuff the slow one especially Dressed in Dreams I believe was well daycent, stating the obvious but her vocals are incoherent at times so not sure they'd pick up first time fans but the place was rammed compared to when the Minutes were on.

QOTSA were unbelievable full throttle from start to finish although Monsters in the Parasol seemed all over the shop, loved hearing I'm Designer immensely and the fact they played Millionaire into No One Knows and Feel Good.. into Lost Art of Keeping A Secret as they appear on the albums.

Met rock whore for a few scoops and a chat during my time there. Hit Laverys after and was gonna go Stiff Kitten but it appears closed now, ah well great time had will be back next year if there's an act of interest on the bill.

weemcd wrote: »
    Flawless night.

Really went off without a hitch, I don't know much about the last album but the mellow breakdown in the middle with the keyboard etc. was very pink floyd esque and eclectic, caught me by complete surprise. They also had enough of the old classics in there to satisfy my craving for proper rock and roll.

They really are a band at the top of their game.

Great crowd btw, good atmosphere, no pushing or anything anti-social.

Bvi1LzfIYAAYUbP.jpg

3rd time seeing them and possibly my favorite, hope to see them many more times before they hang it up

ps. found the dog on twitter

BvhNVfdCYAAftjT.jpg

nice photos,

I'm guessing the photo of the lady and the dog was brightened, or maybe taken earlier on when The Minutes were on?

It wasn't that bright when they brought him/her out to the balcony during QOTSA!:)

Vampyre was listed on the print out of the setlist as the first song of the encore, but it wasn't played.

So I wonder - considering the times on display at the sound desk, (The Minutes 7.20-7.55, Brody Dalle 8.20-9 and QOTSA 9.30-11) were followed - would they have played all 19 songs listed on the setlist, if they had started at 9pm.

Make It Wit Chu was listed on the setlist print out to be played in between Fairweather Friends and Feel Good Hit of the Summer.

It'd be interesting to know, considering there was a strict 11pm curfew, why didn't QOTSA start at 9pm, - which was the time indicated on the Belsonic mailing list update sent out earlier on Wednesday - and then we may have heard all the songs listed.

QOTSA at reading on BBC3 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

QOTSA at reading on BBC3 right now.

Bringing back Wednesday night :)

Advertisement