Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Nissan Leaf question

• 28-03-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Thinking of bringing in a 2nd hand Leaf from the UK later in the year.

It will only be used as a 2nd car, range isn't important so please don't reply with the usual anti-EV drivel.

I'm just looking to find out the total costs involved from anyone who has done this before or anyone in the know.

If I buy a Leaf for £10k, (so €12k or there abouts) what other costs are involved?

I've read there is no VRT to be paid. Is this correct?

I assume there is some kind of registration fee to get it on Irish plates?

Does anyone know the rough cost of having a charging point installed at home?

Are there any other costs I should allow for other than the obvious tax, insurance, ferry ticket etc.. ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think they done away with the VRT thing, you have to buy it from an Irish dealer now to avail of this now or something

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RS6man

Are you 100% of this James or is that just something you heard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm nearly sure he's talking about the VRT on new cars, not 2nd hand imports.

Can anyone else clarify if there is VRT to be paid on and imported 2nd hand Nissan Leaf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

No VRT to be paid on ANY EV car imported.

• Advertisement

Cheers Soarer. I was 99% sure there was no duty on imported EV's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RS6man wrote: »
    Cheers Soarer. I was 99% sure there was no duty on imported EV's.

AFAIR there is a €5000 release on VRT, but if VRT comes more expensive than €5000, you will pay the difference.

I might be wrong though.

Does anyone actually know whether there is any VRT to be paid or not ?

The "AFAIR" and "AFAIK" replies on Boards are not at all helpful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Google VRT calculator and enter you car details. You will find out how much VRT is to be paid on it.
    IMO on Nissan Leaf it will be 0.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AFAIK, you shouldn't really trust a stranger on the internet. So maybe an email or call to the VRT office to confirm would be the best option IMHO, but IIRC they are slow to answer calls.

• Advertisement

Go to the VRT calculator on revenue, take a screenshot and save it.

You got to pay transport, obviously and also have a home evse installed, or you can use the portable evse, aka, granny cable and charge at a slower rate via a properly rated extension lead fully extended to avoid heat build up, this is not a recommended permanent way to charge unless you par closely to a wall socket in a garage.

Home evse install costs will vary.

I also don't think the U.K leaf comes with type II cable for public non chargers, I would negotiate this be included as part f the deal.

The irishevowners group on Facebook is very helpful and someone may loan you a card to activate the fast chargers there.

Have you test driven a leaf yet ?

OK how about trusting the facts ? Now there is VAT applied in certain situations where (afaik lol ) the mileage must be over 6,000 miles and 6 months old ?

LeafVRT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

Is the VAT charged if its less than 6000 km or 6000 miles? And if it were to be charged would it come up on the VRT calculator?

In Ireland you need a card to use the esb chargers. If you were trying to charge one in the uk would their chargers need a uk electricity account for the drive on your way home?

Anyone know how much it costs to get a car shipped from the UK, and who could do it?

What is you only got an evse charger? Could you live with that in Ireland, only charging the car from a socket at night?
    How long does it take to charge it from the evse charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

this group on Facebook will be able to answer any questions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/irishevowners/?fref=ts

Come on, do I have to do everything ?

VATUKImport.jpg

Come on, do I have to do everything ?

VATUKImport.jpg

To be fair I thought you were the leading light on this, so when you said 6000 miles I was a bit confused.
    On the one hand read the page you posted from revenue and it said 6000km, but on the other I thought you were in the know, so I thought maybe this had changed and revenues site was not updated yet.

Jaybor wrote: »
    To be fair I thought you were the leading light on this, so when you said 6000 miles I was a bit confused.
    On the one hand read the page you posted from revenue and it said 6000km, but on the other I thought you were in the know, so I thought maybe this had changed and revenues site was not updated yet.

When I'm not sure of anything I do state that clearly, it's not difficult to get the information from revenue.

You want to be finding out from people who have imported a car from the U.K and a great place to start is irishevowners on facebook as BMJD posted below.

Someone there may even give you a loan the ecotricity charger access card.

You also need to know the paperwork you need to verify, sign and bring back and there is a sticky hear in the motors section on importing a car from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pokersauce

I have a question about the e-Car charging. I'm just returned back from town and whilest in town I past an e-Car charging point with two charging spots.

In one spot was a Nissan Leaf charging but while I was passing someone in a Citroen people carrier just decided to part in the free e-car charging point.

I know for a fact this Citroen isn't an electric car, and when I returned it was still there. I just want to ask is it illegal to do so, that is use the spot for just parking. Obviously it's morally wrong but can someone be fined for it.

If I was to buy a Nissan Leaf or another electric car this would drive me insane, but if there is no legislation for parking in such a spot what could I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

I don't think there's any rules against it. It would be up to city and town councils to pass bye laws to cover it I believe. I'm sure they will get around to doing it once enough people complain, or perhaps the Department of Environment could issue an advisory to them on the issue.

I think the slang used to describe such a charge point is "ICED".
    It's certainly an issue that will need to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pokersauce

Thanks for that Air

Definitely something to consider for anyone looking to buy an electric car and has plans to regularly charge them at one of this spots.

Name and shame in the mean time thread or twitter account perhaps?

• Advertisement

The issue won't be sorted any time soon as it's not important to the councils yet.

It's a bit like asking them to fill potholes or not use chippings as a road surface or put on top of good asphalt. Surface dressing they like to call it.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It won't cost them anything, they just need to pass the law at a council sitting I'd imagine.
    If a focused effort was made to get one council to pass it then I'd imagine the others might fall into line so as not to be seen to be dragging their heels. In short it's an easy win for some councilor or other.

air wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It won't cost them anything, they just need to pass the law at a council sitting I'd imagine.
    If a focused effort was made to get one council to pass it then I'd imagine the others might fall into line so as not to be seen to be dragging their heels. In short it's an easy win for some councilor or other.

You just put up a sign saying "€25 per hour for ICE cars to park here". Please park.
    I bet they would be empty then.

OK we are getting the leaf.
    Myself and the family are flying over to the UK on Tuesday morning and getting the ferry back that night for our little adventure.
    Im not entirely convinced but my brother says if we dont like it he'll buy it off us, so we dont have anything to worry about.
    First I tried to buy one in the Nissan dealers in Ireland, but I really get the impression they dont want to sell them to you. Lots of little lie and tricks in there.
    Then I looked at 2nd hand ones in the Nisaan dealers and online in Ireland and they are almost the same price as a new one for a two year old one.
    And the few Nissan dealers I went to, I had a look at their fast chargers. They would be impossible to get a car in to to charge. They are surrounded by parked second hand cars you would have to move them all out of the way to get a charge.

I decided on a 2011 Leaf with 11,000 miles on the clock advertised for £11000 in a main dealer and got him down from £11000 to £8500 and a bottle of whiskey.
    It comes with the granny cable and the fast charger is installed.
    I still havent found out how much the ESB will charge to install the charge point at home.
    The car doesnt come with a 6KW charger. It would be nice if I could go into a Nissan dealer and get them to add a 6KW charger into it. They probably wont though, but i'll check.

There is a whole heap of stuff i havent figured out too.
    I also have to buy a cable to be able to use the standard chargers. I think its called a type 1 to type 2 cable.
    I dont know if I can charge it without a card in the UK or if i could even get a uk card before having the car.
    I dont know how to get a charging card in Ireland yet.
    I dont know if I can call Nissan if I run out of juice and how much it will cost.
    I dont know if the AA can charge me up if I called them.
    Im not too sure if the warranty transfers to Ireland but I think it will.
    I dont know if carwings will work or if I can turn the heating on and off etc with my phone on a uk car when it comes to Ireland.
    I am just assuming that there is an option to switch it all from miles to Km in the controls.

Its the weekend now so i cant find out about anything really.

I'll come back and post how i got on next week.

6kw cannot be retro fitted iirc.
    Also I think any qualified electrician can install the point at home if you have the actual item.

kceire wrote: »
    6kw cannot be retro fitted iirc.
    Also I think any qualified electrician can install the point at home if you have the actual item.[/quotethe point at home if you have the actual .

An additional 3rd party 3kW charger can be fitted, there are YouTube videos showing it in action. The price is circa $2k though.

It has also been posted here on boards that ESB may install a charge point for free even for UK imports as they are keen to make up numbers.

An additional 3rd party 3kW charger can be fitted, there are YouTube videos showing it in action. The price is circa $2k though.

It has also been posted here on boards that ESB may install a charge point for free even for UK imports as they are keen to make up numbers.

Yeah maybe aftermarket but the OP was referring to Nissan retrofitting the 6kw charger. I've heard ESb will not install for imports. Somebody on here or maybe the FB page asked them and they said no.

Was just letting him know the upgrade is technically possible, his car only has a few months battery warranty left anyway.
    Probably worth chancing ESB for a free charger but on most houses with an external meter I'd imagine its not a huge job to get it installed.

I have a feeling getting a home charger is going to increase the price of this car by quite a bit then. Very glad im not paying any more for it than i am, with the price of a home charger added on. And the cost of the gadgets needed to allow me to use the on street and hotel chargers too.

• Advertisement

Myself and the family are flying over to the UK on Tuesday morning and getting the ferry back that night for our little adventure.
    Im not entirely convinced but my brother says if we dont like it he'll buy it off us, so we dont have anything to worry about.
    First I tried to buy one in the Nissan dealers in Ireland, but I really get the impression they dont want to sell them to you. Lots of little lie and tricks in there.
    Then I looked at 2nd hand ones in the Nisaan dealers and online in Ireland and they are almost the same price as a new one for a two year old one.
    And the few Nissan dealers I went to, I had a look at their fast chargers. They would be impossible to get a car in to to charge. They are surrounded by parked second hand cars you would have to move them all out of the way to get a charge.

I decided on a 2011 Leaf with 11,000 miles on the clock advertised for £11000 in a main dealer and got him down from £11000 to £8500 and a bottle of whiskey.
    I still havent found out how much the ESB will charge to install the charge point at home.
    The car doesnt come with a 6KW charger. It would be nice if I could go into a Nissan dealer and get them to add a 6KW charger into it. They probably wont though, but i'll check.

I also have to buy a cable to be able to use the standard chargers. I think its called a type 1 to type 2 cable.
    I dont know if I can charge it without a card in the UK or if i could even get a uk card before having the car.
    I dont know if I can call Nissan if I run out of juice and how much it will cost.
    I dont know if carwings will work or if I can turn the heating on and off etc with my phone on a uk car when it comes to Ireland.
    I am just assuming that there is an option to switch it all from miles to Km in the controls.

That's good haggling, amazingly cheap car to run at an amazing price. :D

You need to join irishevowners on facebook, someone there should be able to give you the smart card for the chargers and tell you the best route.

Do this now, before you make the trip !

I have a feeling getting a home charger is going to increase the price of this car by quite a bit then. Very glad im not paying any more for it than i am, with the price of a home charger added on. And the cost of the gadgets needed to allow me to use the on street and hotel chargers too.

Haggle with the ESB on charger install, costs.

Check out the internet for a home charging evse tethered, meaning it has the cable attached to the charger rather than having to unwrap the cable in the boot and plug it in the car then in the EVSE.

You just plug the cable from the EVSE into the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Jaybor, great decision on going for a Leaf! I went through the same process back in January, so feel free to PM me with any questions you have. With regards to the home charging point you would be looking at the best part of the 1000 euro to get a charger installed at home. What is a cheaper option is to get an external power socket installed and use the granny charger you get with the car. It takes longer, but it will charge the car overnight. Would be a cost option at first!

I used the many of the ecotricity charging points in the UK on my trip home, you are more than welcome to borrow my charging card, but we registered with and got the card delivered using Parcel Motel (www.parcelmotel.ie).

In Ireland the fast chargers are handled by many Topaz garages and some Maxol, you do not need a charging card for them. To use the slower charges you are right and would need the cable that is normally supplied with Irish cars and a charge card. We don't have one and haven't ever needed to use one yet, they will cost about 200 euro.
    The charge card can be obtained from esb cars, just need to send proof of address and proof of ownership.

You can register with Carwings, just make sure the dealer you buy it from can request the previous owner to delete the car from their carwings account.

As mentioned before, send a PM if you need to know anything more!

Yes you can change the car to KM, its in two places. The car itself and the Satnav.

Haggle with the ESB on charger install, costs.

Check out the internet for a home charging evse tethered, meaning it has the cable attached to the charger rather than having to unwrap the cable in the boot and plug it in the car then in the EVSE.

You just plug the cable from the EVSE into the car.

Thanks, thats a good idea. I'll certainly look into that.

I found that I could get about £2000 of most of the prices of the cars I called about. Especially when I told them that I could get a similar year and mileage BMW, Mercedes etc for the same price as they were asking for the Leafs. They are over priced for second hand cars and they know it.

Most of the ones advertised for £12000 - £12500 I eventually got down to £10000, but since this is essentially an experiment, I went for an even older model with higher mileage.

The dealers in Ireland seem to think second hand leafs are made of gold or something.

Jaybor, great decision on going for a Leaf! I went through the same process back in January, so feel free to PM me with any questions you have. With regards to the home charging point you would be looking at the best part of the 1000 euro to get a charger installed at home. What is a cheaper option is to get an external power socket installed and use the granny charger you get with the car. It takes longer, but it will charge the car overnight. Would be a cost option at first!

I used the many of the ecotricity charging points in the UK on my trip home, you are more than welcome to borrow my charging card, but we registered with and got the card delivered using Parcel Motel (www.parcelmotel.ie).

In Ireland the fast chargers are handled by many Topaz garages and some Maxol, you do not need a charging card for them. To use the slower charges you are right and would need the cable that is normally supplied with Irish cars and a charge card. We don't have one and haven't ever needed to use one yet, they will cost about 200 euro.
    The charge card can be obtained from esb cars, just need to send proof of address and proof of ownership.

You can register with Carwings, just make sure the dealer you buy it from can request the previous owner to delete the car from their carwings account.

As mentioned before, send a PM if you need to know anything more!

Yes you can change the car to KM, its in two places. The car itself and the Satnav.

Thats great info. Thanks. And thanks for your kind offer.
    Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask him if he can give me a loan of a charge card and i'll post it back to him. He told me I could call him on Sunday if anything came up.

My biggest fear is with the leaf is already range anxiety.
    I was looking at the map of fast chargers.
    I regularly make the trip from Lucan to Gorey.
    I should just make it no problem. But what happens if the fast charger is not working. I am stuck for hours charging at a slow charger (if i buy the cable for one).
    Tat route needs more fast chargers. ITs too risky when there is only one. If its out of order you are in deep trouble. What do you do?

• Advertisement

I should just make it no problem. But what happens if the fast charger is not working. I am stuck for hours charging at a slow charger (if i buy the cable for one).
    Tat route needs more fast chargers. ITs too risky when there is only one. If its out of order you are in deep trouble. What do you do?

If it's out of order you've no choice to plug into the standard street charge point, this is one reason I suggest people if buying the MK 1.5 to spend extra on the 6.6 kw charger, 2 hrs can replace around 12 kwh and can mean the difference between getting home and not, this is one reason Zoe as the best charger of all electric cars in the world.

Zoe has a 2kw-40kw charger on board and at the most you'll be an hour on all the non fast chargers which are 22 kw. There are many more non fast chargers.

There is supposed to be a QC going on the N11 somewhere maybe near Wicklow Town.

The 6.6 kwh on a new Leaf is very useful if plugging into street charge points, it means you will probably not have to worry much about finding a fast charger.

If it's out of order you've no choice to plug into the standard street charge point, this is one reason I suggest people if buying the MK 1.5 to spend extra on the 6.6 kw charger, 2 hrs can replace around 12 kwh and can mean the difference between getting home and not, this is one reason Zoe as the best charger of all electric cars in the world.

Zoe has a 2kw-40kw charger on board and at the most you'll be an hour on all the non fast chargers which are 22 kw. There are many more non fast chargers.

There is supposed to be a QC going on the N11 somewhere maybe near Wicklow Town.

The 6.6 kwh on a new Leaf is very useful if plugging into street charge points, it means you will probably not have to worry much about finding a fast charger.

Yeah it looks like it could be a problem.
    Sure we'll see how we get on on a two week holiday with an electric car in the the UK, with 4 people and luggage in the car :)

Yeah it looks like it could be a problem.
    Sure we'll see how we get on on a two week holiday with an electric car in the the UK, with 4 people and luggage in the car :)

Not could be, it will be a problem if the QC is out, now if it's out it maybe just a matter of calling Ecars to reset it.

Seemingly there are problems when people finish charging they don't press reset or something ? no idea on that, but it seems to effect the other person who comes to charge. Not a big deal I believe.

Thing is if you travel from Lucan to Gorey, first thing to do if possible is to plug into a normal street charge point.

It's a pity the Electric companies other than the ESB don't start installing DC and AC fast chargers. The more the better, it's in their interest at the end of the day because they make money off the leccy, I wouldn't object to 2 Euro's for a full 30 min QC empty to 80% if my main charging will be on home night rate.

Thanks, thats a good idea. I'll certainly look into that.

I found that I could get about £2000 of most of the prices of the cars I called about. Especially when I told them that I could get a similar year and mileage BMW, Mercedes etc for the same price as they were asking for the Leafs. They are over priced for second hand cars and they know it.

Most of the ones advertised for £12000 - £12500 I eventually got down to £10000, but since this is essentially an experiment, I went for an even older model with higher mileage.

The dealers in Ireland seem to think second hand leafs are made of gold or something.

Where did you buy from?

2nd hand Irish Leaf's hold their value better than all but the premium brands, I believe the Irish prices reflect the Leaf's true value, where in the U.K there are a raft of dealer demo's they can happily flog for a lot less than Irish dealers can and now there will be a raft of en d of lease cars from 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've done Celbridge to Gorey a few times in my 2011 Leaf with 65,000 kilometers on the clock. I haven't had any issues yet on that journey. There is a new fast charging point opening on the south side of Dublin soon, which you could use as a little stop off before heading to Gorey. Gorey can actually be quite a busy charging point which is a point Irish EV Owners raised with the ESB. I believe they are adding an additional fast charger quite close to the one in Maxol Gorey.

2nd hand Irish Leaf's hold their value better than all but the premium brands, I believe the Irish prices reflect the Leaf's true value, where in the U.K there are a raft of dealer demo's they can h
    appily flog for a lot less than Irish dealers can and now there will be a raft of en d of lease cars from 2011.

Yeah I was just talking to the guy from the garage who has agreed to give me a charging card and i will post it back to him after i get home. Sound lad.

After reading your post, I asked him will they have many more for sale over there in the next while and he says that they are expecting a lot of them after leases are up this year, but January next year is going to have a huge amount of second hand leafs compared to this year.

I cant say the garage I got it from yet because if the brother doesnt end up buying our car off us (if we are happy with it) there is another car at the same garage he is interested in and i am sworn to secrecy since the haggling went so well.

I had this fella down to £12900 if you want to try get him any lower though. He called me back but I missed the call so I think he was going lower. Its a 2013 car in the North too. Might be a good option to try. And you would have to put more miles on it before importing it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403132482525/sort/default/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/nissan/page/1/model/leaf/postcode/l41xj/radius/1501/ni-only/on/advert-type/standard-listing?logcode=ucnnp

I read somewhere that now its considered not harmful at all to the battery to charge to 100% every charge either. That can only be a good thing.

Trip is all arranged now. Fly over, pick up the car and have our holiday, with a few business stops along the way.
    Lets see if we have to plane our holiday more around the Nissan Leaf or around 4 year old twins.
    If we do it will be getting passed on to the brother who only commutes 10 miles each way and never ever drives further than that :)

Thanks for the link though I don't think I'd pay that much for a Mk I when a 2012 would be just as good imo, I would pay more for the MK 1.5 with 6.6 kw charger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

I had this fella down to £12900 if you want to try get him any lower though. He called me back but I missed the call so I think he was going lower. Its a 2013 car in the North too. Might be a good option to try. And you would have to put more miles on it before importing it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403132482525/sort/default/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/nissan/page/1/model/leaf/postcode/l41xj/radius/1501/ni-only/on/advert-type/standard-listing?logcode=ucnnp[/quote]

On a golf I had the clocks were changed due to rattles garage was able to match the mileage ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No they won't. A guy here at work just got a Leaf from the UK and ESB are saying €1k here in Galway.

The granny-charger is next to useless for him as it turns out, and he made it home with only 4kms range left the other day........

We were looking at the charging plug and an electrician says that a std 16A (blue) socket and lead made up directly into the car will work - that the extra two pins in the Nissan plug are only indicators for the box on the granny charger lead - that the actual charger is in the car itself. Is this right ? I must admit I can't see how a granny charger with a 13A plugtop, fitted to a 'box' with a 10A capacity could possibly be any kind of EV charger........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes, that has been refuted by somebody else already and I did use the word "may" in my original statement.
    Anyone that pays 1k for a charging point needs their head examined though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, that has been refuted by somebody else already and I did use the word "may" in my original statement.
    Anyone that pays 1k for a charging point needs their head examined though tbh.

I appreciate that - I was just 'updating' it as of yesterday that ESB haven't changed policy in the interim.

What's the alternative - I just had a quick look on the 'net and see EVSE's for no less than $799.

Or am I missing something here ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I wouldn't connect the leaf to the mains unprotected, don't do this. If something happens and you damage the leaf it will be an expensive repair.

Afaik without the signal from the charger the car won't charge no matter what's connected to the main pins.

Buy your own evse ask people on the irishevowners group on Facebook where to buy one.

Buy your own cable in a electrical shop not DIY and run it from the consumer unit to where you want the evse outside and mount the evse to the wall.

Consult your electrician, will most likely be cheaper than ESB or whatever contractor they use.

A tethered evse ( one with the cable attached ) would be most useful.

No matter how expensive the initial cost it's going to be much cheaper than petrol or diesel to run and would pay me back in 4 months.

There may come a time when homes may have to have 3 phase to charge electric cars at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

Only I got to make the rounds of the dealers on my own, and pick up the car on my own, meeting family at the ferry port.

I also found Irish dealers hopeless - I was the one chasing them down. They seemed to have no interest in selling to me. Very little effort or follow up made. I even went to the north. Good dealership, but I wasn't interested in the car. Ended up in northern England. Get a year newer + £1000 cheaper for our budget.

Have had the LEAF (Evie ;-D) for a week. Charging using the granny charger. Have just applied for ESB cards. Got a cable from a great place in UK. (also sell bits to make your own home charger)

You've probably answered your questions above. Don't know as I'm still going through EV postings.
    -You can get a charge card ahead in UK if you know reg. and have an address to send it to, such as dealer. Best one is Ecotricity as they do the motorway service areas. No fees. Usually takes 2-3 days to get card, but can take up to 2 wks. Some others are pre-pay. Some pay by phone or through QR code + app on the spot. Zap-map.com best at combining all the diff. ones.
    -AA in UK are able to give you a boost but so far only the ones around London or major cities have the ability. A company in Wicklow make portable units, but not sure if AA Ireland has them. If they can't charge you, they will tow to nearest charger.
    -Warranty is pan-European
    -Carwings should have no problem
    -Yes, can switch easily between miles and km

• Advertisement
Advertisement