Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrician - earthing gas boiler? or something to that effect?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Gas boiler service guy said I would need to get an electrician to look at my boiler.. something to do with earthing some wires or something.. he said its not immediately dangerous but something I should get looked at down the line.. not even sure if earthing is the correct term? confused.png

Also, how easy is it to put in a new power socket on other side of room? I hate wires.. can an electrician also put in another UPC box connector on the other side of a room?

what price would I be looking at roughly does anyone know? smile.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

maybe he means bonding the main metallic service pipes

or earthing the boiler unit

or maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about either(not unlikely scenario:))

prob best get a registered electrical contractor out to take a look

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^ what he says :)

There should be a 10 sq. mm earth cable (for equipotential bonding) connected to the gas pipe between the gas meter and the boiler. The other end of this cable should be connected to the earth bar in the distribution board.

In addition the 230V power supply circuit should also have an earth cable (known as a circuit protective conductor or "CPC").

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

2011 wrote: »
    ^^^ what he says :)

There should be a 10 sq. mm earth cable (for equipotential bonding) connected to the gas pipe between the gas meter and the boiler. The other end of this cable should be connected to the earth bar in the distribution board.

In addition the 230V power supply circuit should also have an earth cable (known as a circuit protective conductor or "CPC").

Or it can be linked to the earth in the hot press. If copper is going from the hot press to the boiler in copper then the flow, return and gas to boiler can all be cross bonded under the boiler. Providing all copper in the hot press is properly bonded in 10mm2. Get an RGI who is up to date with wiring or get an electrician

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Or it can be linked to the earth in the hot press. If copper is going from the hot press to the boiler in copper then the flow, return and gas to boiler can all be cross bonded under the boiler. Providing all copper in the hot press is properly bonded in 10mm2.

I do not agree.
    You are referring to cross bonding of conductive pipes within the hot press, which is completely different to the bonding of the incoming gas mains.
    For a start the incoming gas mains would not pass through the hot press.

The bonding of the incoming gas pipe is outlined in 544 (page 126) and shown in Fig. 54.1 (page128) of ET101:2008
    Get an RGI who is up to date with wiring or get an electrician

It is generally best to use electricians for electrical work :)

I do not agree.
    You are referring to cross bonding of conductive pipes within the hot press, which is completely different to the bonding of the incoming gas mains.
    For a start the incoming gas mains would not pass through the hot press.

The bonding of the incoming gas pipe is outlined in 544 (page 126) and shown in Fig. 54.1 (page128) of ET101:2008

It is generally best to use electricians for electrical
    If The flow and return in the hot press are earthed in 10mm2 and it's copper all the way to the boiler, then linking them together at the boiler is permitted according to IS 813 gas regs.
    As for electrical only for electricians.... Let's not get into that one. I know so many sparks that can't wire a pipe stat, don't run a neutral to a room stat, and don't know what the grey and orange are for on motorised valves. Now don't for a second think I'm accusing any sparks of that on here cause I'm not

• Advertisement

If The flow and return in the hot press are earthed in 10mm2 and it's copper all the way to the boiler, then linking them together at the boiler is permitted according to IS 813 gas regs.

Yes, but we are discussing the bonding the incoming gas mains, not bonding the flow and return. Are you seriously suggesting that there is no need to bond the incoming gas pipe just because the flow and return to the hot press are bonded?

Yes, but we are discussing the bonding the incoming gas mains, not bonding the flow and return. Are you seriously suggesting that there is no need to bond the incoming gas pipe just because the flow and return to the hot press are bonded?

Absolutely not. Im talking about linking from the flow, to the return, to the gas at the boiler if copper is running from the hot press to the boiler if everything is earthed in the hot press already

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Absolutely not.

So if you agree that it is necessary to bond the incoming gas pipe, then you agree with what I said in post #3.
    However this conflicts with your position in post #4, so you may want to rethink.

So if you agree that it is necessary to bond the incoming gas pipe, then you agree with what I said in post #3.
    However this conflicts with your position in post #4, so you may want to rethink.

I see what he means now..that drawing appears wrong

that extension of main equippotential bonding in metallic pipe doesn't comply with wiring rules afaik

the bond has to be extended in unbroken copper cable afaik

I just can't seem to locate relevant rules on it?

• Advertisement

I see what he means now..that drawing appears wrong

that extension of main equippotential bonding in metallic pipe doesn't comply with wiring rules afaik

the bond has to be extended in unbroken copper cable afaik

I just can't seem to locate relevant rules on it?

That pic is from the latest edition of the gas regs

If it is electrical the regulations that must be complied with are "The National Rules for Electrical installations (ET101:2008)". Bonding and more specifically the bonding of gas and water services are dealt with throughly. this outlines the minimum standards that are required. There is even a diagram (Fig. 54.1) on page 128 of same.

There are lots of other diagrams, guidelines and advices in all sorts of publications that may or may not be correct.

If it is electrical the regulations that must be complied with are "The National Rules for Electrical installations (ET101:2008)". Bonding and more specifically the bonding of gas and water services are dealt with throughly. this outlines the minimum standards that are required. There is even a diagram (Fig. 54.1) on page 128 of same.

There are lots of other diagrams, guidelines and advices in all sorts of publications that may or may not be correct.
    Maybe you're right, maybe I'm looking at my diagram arseways. You'd imagine such an important thing would be identical in both sets of regs though

That pic is from the latest edition of the gas regs

I believe you but this does not mean that the ETCI regulations can be ignored.

The National Rules for Electrical installations (ET101:2008) 544.1.1 states:

"Main bonding conductors shall connect extraneous parts of main engineering services in a building such as pipe-work for gas, water and central heating and ducting for air conditioning, to the main earthing terminal."

I think that this is very clear.

As I am sure you know the "main earthing terminal" is located in the distribution board.

If you read 544.1.3 you will see what the main bonding conductor in a domestic installation is a 10mm^2 copper cable. So this rules out using the copper pipe as a main bonding conductor.

All of the above aligns perfectly with the diagram in Fig. 54.1 (referred to earlier).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

and don't know what the grey and orange are for on motorised valves.

What are they for?

Incidentally 411.3.2 states that:

"Extraneous conductive parts originating outside the building shall be bonded as close as practicable to their points of entry into the building."

This would suggest that immediately downstream of the gas meter (in the meter box is not permitted) is the best place, not at the boiler as the diagram in the gas regs suggests.

equipotential bonding conductor:

definition; a protective conductor for ensuring equippotential bonding..
    (page 13)

water pipes may not be used as protective conductors..

Bruthal wrote: »
    What are they for?

Is that a genuine question or are u testing me?

What are they for?

Decoration, just snip them off they only get in the way :D:D:D

Is that a genuine question or are u testing me?

Redeem yourself, answer it :D:D:D

• Advertisement

equipotential bonding conductor:

definition; a protective conductor for ensuring equippotential bonding..
    (page 13)

water pipes may not be used as protective conductors..

I dunno lads. Cer write both regs. Here's another diagram from IS813 2014 edition where copper is not used from the boiler to hot press.

I think its common sense for electrical people anyway, without any referencing of rules.

I dunno lads. Cer write both regs. Here's another diagram from IS813 2014 edition where copper is not used from the boiler to hot press.

That diagram is correct and conflicts with your previous diagram.
    It shows a bonding conductor from the incoming gas pipe to the MET as I stated in post #3.

Redeem yourself, answer it :D:D:D

Grey is perm live to MV
    orange is SL out to boiler.

I think its common sense for electrical people anyway, without any referencing of rules.

Yup, back to my earlier point "It is generally best to use electricians for electrical work :)"

his first diagram doesn't comply with ET101 anyhow

it has to be looped unbroken in copper cable to comply

afaik it's allowable to loop from water to gas.. although I've never worked on gas myself

his first diagram doesn't comply with ET101 anyhow

it has to be looped unbroken in copper cable to comply

Lol lads they're not my personal diagrams. They're from the new gas regs realised a few weeks ago, written by the same guys who right your regs. I never once said they gas shouldn't be earthed.. My apologies to 2011 if it came across that way. The only point I was trying to highlight was the copper from boiler to hot press as opposed to plastic pipe where the second diagram is used. Our regs are contradicting each other

Lol lads they're not my personal diagrams. They're from the new gas regs realised a few weeks ago, written by the same guys who right your regs. I never once said they gas shouldn't be earthed.. My apologies to 2011 if it came across that way. The only point I was trying to highlight was the copper from boiler to hot press as opposed to plastic pipe where the second diagram is used. Our regs are contradicting each other

they're not..

et101:2008 is the wiring rules

full stop..

Yea the first diagram is showing that continuous copper coming from properly bonded hot press to the boiler, can cross bond onto the copper gas pipe at the boiler.

There should in reality be an unbroken 10 square earth bonding the gas pipe directly to the main earth bar.

• Advertisement

Yea the first diagram is showing that continuous copper coming from properly bonded hot press to the boiler, can cross bond onto the copper gas pipe at the boiler.

There should in reality be an unbroken 10 square earth bonding the gas pipe directly to the main earth bar.

Yes I agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement