Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrician - earthing gas boiler? or something to that effect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

they're not..

et101:2008 is the wiring rules

full stop..

They're not what?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lol lads they're not my personal diagrams. They're from the new gas regs realised a few weeks ago, written by the same guys who right your regs.

The ETCI (Electro-Technical Council of Ireland) write the electrical regulations, I very much doubt that they write the gas regulations.

I know that you did not draw the two diagrams that you posted, but surely you can see that these drawings conflict?
    I never once said they gas shouldn't be earthed.. My apologies to 2011 if it came across that way.

No bother.
    Our regs are contradicting each other

The electrical part of gas installation regulations is contradiction the ETCI regulations (ET101:2008).

It is best to follow gas regulations for gas installation and electrical regulations for electrical installation work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

what's the drawing doing there anyhow

why would RGIs be concerned with main bonding and working to a drawing that doesn't comply with ET101

a qualified electricIan's can't even wire a socket circuit now never mind RGIs working on main bonding

what's the drawing doing there anyhow

why would RGIs be concerned with main bonding and working to a drawing that doesn't comply with ET101

a qualified electricIan's can't even wire a socket circuit now never mind RGIs working on main bonding

It's there because we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs ( obviously we don't go near the main board ). We also have to wire boilers cause sparks aren't allowed into gas boilers... But that's a different issue.

It's there because we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs ( obviously we don't go near the main board ). We also have to wire boilers cause sparks aren't allowed into gas boilers... But that's a different issue.

ok.. but you're not an electrician?

you're working to a drawing that doesn't comply with ET101

and you're altering the main equipotential bonding in the installation?

ok...

• Advertisement

ok.. but you're not an electrician?

you're working to a drawing that doesn't comply with ET101

and you're altering the main equipotential bonding in the installation?

ok...

I didn't alter anything. I've never actually come across the situation stated above. There's always 10mm2 at the existing boiler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It's there because we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs ( obviously we don't go near the main board ).

You are not permitted to do this.
    As shown earlier in the thread to bond correctly the gas pipe should be connected to the MET which resides in the distribution board. Since the 1st of October 2013 it has been illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to work on the distribution board. This would most certainly apply to connecting a bonding conductor to the MET.

See link

2011 wrote: »
    You are not permitted to do this.
    As shown earlier in the thread to bond correctly the gas pipe should be connected to the MET which resides in the distribution board. Since the 1st of October 2013 it has been illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to work on the distribution board. This would most certainly apply to connecting a bonding conductor to the MET.

See link

Did you not see where I said i never go near the board?

Did you not see where I said i never go near the board?

To be fair you did.
    But you also said "we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs".
    When a professional makes a statement like that I read it as "we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs as per the relavent regulations", which in this case would be ET101:2008.

I am not trying to be pedantic, but if someone is going to do electrical work it should be done properly or not at all.

To be fair you did.
    But you also said "we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs".
    When a professional makes a statement like that I read it as "we bond gas lines when doing boiler installs as per the relavent regulations", which in this case would be ET101:2008.

I am not trying to be pedantic, but if someone is going to do electrical work it should be done properly or not at all.

I do all my electrical work properly. If I was to hire an Electrican to wire my systems it'd take too long to show him how to wire heating controls and explain what a switched live is in a gas boiler. Now lads I'm off out.

• Advertisement

I do all my electrical work properly.

... which means bonding the gas pipe to the MET which is located in the distribution board which you are not allowed to do by law. See link

... which means bonding the gas pipe to the MET which is located in the distribution board which you are not allowed to do by law. See link
    The only time I ever saw the inside of a board was when a sparks was wiring it

The only time I ever saw the inside of a board was when a sparks was wiring it

...and you are better off that way.
    Leave the electrical work to those that are qualified, insured, able to test, certify and legally permitted to do it. That way you are covered.
    That is why I don't do it and for similar reasons I don't connect gas connections either ;)

...and you are better off that way.
    Leave the electrical work to those that are qualified, insured, able to test, certify and legally permitted to do it. That way you are covered.
    That is why I don't do it and for similar reasons I don't connect gas connections either ;)

Fair enough. I'm like you. I abide by the the law. I don't do anything I'm not allowed to do.

he should get onto RGI about that drawing

as its a pretty bad blooper and has never been acceptable to main bond in that way imo

he should get onto RGI about that drawing

as its a pretty bad blooper and has never been acceptable to main bond in that way imo

Better still would be for RGI to make in clear that only qualified electricians should be doing this type of work.

Better still would be for RGI to make in clear that only qualified electricians should be doing this type of work.

yes absolutely ridiculous

considering the restrictions on qualified electricians

I know from my browsing of the UK. forums that structural steel is used as a main bonding conductor in some cases although it may be prohibited here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Better still would be for RGI to make in clear that only qualified Registered electricians should be doing this type of work.

FYP

WikiHow wrote: »
    FYP

you couldn't make it up

RGIs having half an idea what they're doing

wrong drawings

playing around with main bonding

meanwhile qualified electricians can't take cover off a distribution board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

you couldn't make it up

wrong drawings

The RGI is only following his own bible so to speak, i.e like the drawing in post #9.

• Advertisement

you couldn't make it up

wrong drawings

RGI's don't go near the board so I don't see the problem. As wikihow stated, we're only following the guidelines in our regs. It's not our fault they're not the same as yours. For what it's worth I wouldn't use copper pipe as a conductor anyway. I was just stating how it was.

RGI's don't go near the board so I don't see the problem.

Yes, I can see why you would not go near the distribution board.
    Since the 1st of October 2013 it is illegal for you to do this as you are not a registered electrical contractor.

The problem is that you state that you bond gas pipes and carry out other electrical work here.
    To bond the gas pipe correctly (as per the regulations) it is necessary to access the main earth terminal which is located in the distribution board.
    I explained this in an earlier post here.
    It would seem that you accepted this because it aligns perfectly with the diagram that you linked to in one of your posts.

So clearly there is a conflict here :confused:
    Either you do this electrical work properly (as per ET101:2008) which involves working on the distribution board (illegally) or the work that you do does not comply with the regulations.
    You can't have your cake and eat it :)

If anyone has anything constructive or new to add feel free to PM me, otherwise this thread remains locked.
    Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement