Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Heres a plan..say we all stop lisnening for a week...no txts ,no emails, no twitters.........see what happenes...if anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There are plenty of non Taliban listeners to keep the station fueled. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

OldGoat wrote: »
    There are plenty of non Taliban listeners to keep the station fueled. :(

I don't think there is. I've heard they're pulling in about 7,000 listeners and the vast majority of them will most likely be holdovers from Phantom.

Realistically, with a maximum reach of about a million, there's not a big enough audience to play Black Moth Super Rainbow or Einsturzende Neubauten or experimental jungle pop, so I don't object to them playing mainstream stuff.

But the fact that their daytime shows are just landfill indie and 'names' on heavy repeat is dreadful. You have to assume it's a cost saving measure, but the station won't last if it keeps going on as it is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't think there is. I've heard they're pulling in about 7,000 listeners and the vast majority of them will most likely be holdovers from Phantom.

Realistically, with a maximum reach of about a million, there's not a big enough audience to play Black Moth Super Rainbow or Einsturzende Neubauten or experimental jungle pop, so I don't object to them playing mainstream stuff.

But the fact that their daytime shows are just landfill indie and 'names' on heavy repeat is dreadful. You have to assume it's a cost saving measure, but the station won't last if it keeps going on as it is now

I listen from 8am to 6pm every day. There are songs I hear four times in that time. What if, for each of those songs, rather than playing them four times, they played them only two or three times, and replaced the other plays with something a bit different? I know they can't have every obscure band that's requested, but there must be something they can do to accommodate their audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Liam92 wrote: »
    Well said. Even Hozier has a new song out and they're still playing 'From Eden' like it's brand new.

They're playing the new one now. Maybe they read this thread? :P

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »

Doubt it.....they cant handle the truth..........:)

Vojera wrote: »

They don't negotiate with terrorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

All 5 Garth shows cancelled.

A win for the terrorists, lads.

BrushyMan wrote: »
    All 5 Garth shows cancelled.

A win for the terrorists, lads.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm sick to death of TXFM playing that Fever song by the Black Keys. When that comes on I just switch off the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I cant listen anymore, cant deal with the same tunes repeated every day. Nialler9 on thursday nights is great tho when I remember to stick it on.
    I Can understand if its a new song and they have to give it airplay as part of some deal but when its an older song why play it 2-4 times every single day!!

Yeah..stopped listening a few weeks back....back to nova....better the devil ya know....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

They played Thin Lizzy this morning ;)

They followed it immediately by Coldplay ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yeah..stopped listening a few weeks back....back to nova....better the devil ya know....:rolleyes:

Sure Nova's no better. I went to TXFM in the hopes of never going back there...

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Sure Nova's no better. I went to TXFM in the hopes of never going back there...

Yeah.... i listen to TXTFM in the morning till GG comes on Nova until 2...then i flick between the two....hate PC...dont mind JD...but its the repeats...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

I only listen now when someone in work puts it on (rotation), so maybe twice a week. I couldn't really be that arsed with scanning the channels on my own time when I can listen to whatever CD I want, or whatever. Radio today is all in the same format. Heavy Rotation overkill.

I caught some of Nialler 9's show the other night and I thought the music choice was a lot better, but I think the gap between the daytime stuff I've heard and the night time specialty shows is massive. There's got to be a middle ground, right?

Does anybody know how the music is programmed to play? I'm asking cos a lot of the song pairings I've heard in the last 2 weeks are really weird. Some blistering cracker followed by some downbeat bedwetter. Is John Caddell still the man in charge of music & does that mean he programs every single song, or is it like an auto DJ scenario, where he picks the tracks to be in the playlist and the computer slots it all into neat little rows? Or many genre playlists with some percentage based allocation for the playlist we hear? It just sounds random a lot of the time.

I haven't seen anybody posting anything positive about them in a while, but I've learned that this is mostly a Boards thing. Slags and digs are more popular here it seems. I'm only new here cos when I looked into the whole Phantom TX thing the schedule was here but an extended b*tchfest is like the heavy rotation overkill I'm giving out about. Bit silly, no? Pot, kettle, black. Change the record as they say. I don't think they read this or really give two sh*tes what is being said so it seems like pointless whinging. Dunno.

BrushyMan wrote: »
    I haven't seen anybody posting anything positive about them in a while, but I've learned that this is mostly a Boards thing. Slags and digs are more popular here it seems.

People are just telling it as it is.

Nights and weekends (minus the lads doing sports) are a much higher quality than the midweek stuff.
    The music isn't bad, just ridiculously overplayed with too much emphasis on new releases
    Nobody really cares for Joe Donnelly, but everyone is happy with Cathal Funge and Claire Beck

Its a pity they (any of them) dont come on here to explain their music policy..I for one am baffled...:confused:

Why should they i hear you scream....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh god, Joe got really annoyed there by some guy texting in saying he sounded exactly like some jockey, played a clip of said jockey and I, for one, couldn't tell the difference.

What a bloody attitude on him. Proper p'ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Birneybau wrote: »
    Oh god, Joe got really annoyed there by some guy texting in saying he sounded exactly like some jockey, played a clip of said jockey and I, for one, couldn't tell the difference.

What a bloody attitude on him. Proper p'ed off.

I only tuned in about 25 mins ago, but it's already been mentioned twice by him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Twizzler wrote: »
    I only tuned in about 25 mins ago, but it's already been mentioned twice by him :D

Make that three!

Listened for a while this afternoon...Joe did the usual (yawn) spot on "soundalikes"...it didnt btw...guy (supposidly) txts in to say he didnt hear it....so, being TXTFM we're treated to the same crap for another 5 mins...if it wasnt bad enough with the song repitition ....:rolleyes:

BTW...something came to mind today..if TXTFM had have been the station promoting the Garth Brooks gig, people would have been soo fed up listening to his songs over and over then maybe the 3 nights would have been plenty...next time..;)

BTW BTW...I'm nearly fed up of my favorite bands (Interpol)...new single already...thanks TXTFM.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I'm pretty sure I never want to hear that CHVRCHES song ever again.

Not like they have two other singles to mix in anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Too much disco stuff lately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's basically the only "dance" music most indie DJs are capable of. same stuff every week. no doubt the TXFM area at Longitude was full of Psychemagik and Greg Wilson edits of indie tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I put on 6 Music today instead of Joe's show to listen to Steve Lamacq and I was very impressed. An array of current and older music and it sounded so good, with no added bull**** and they were profiling some new bands which was also good.

TXFM have to try and change it up a bit more, and if I hear that Bell X1 song or most of their 'playlist' again, 6 Music will always be on. They are on a slippery slope of falling into FM104 territory, repeating the same songs day in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In fairness to Joe Donnelly he isn't the worst for abusing the playlist possibly allowed to due to being a communicorp favourite. He played Copperhead Road by Steve Earle today, not often you hear that on the radio.

Liam92 wrote: »
    I put on 6 Music today instead of Joe's show to listen to Steve Lamacq and I was very impressed. An array of current and older music and it sounded so good, with no added bull**** and they were profiling some new bands which was also good.

TXFM have to try and change it up a bit more, and if I hear that Bell X1 song or most of their 'playlist' again, 6 Music will always be on. They are on a slippery slope of falling into FM104 territory, repeating the same songs day in and out.

Comparing Joe to Steve Lemacq is chalk and cheese...Joe knows very little about music....how many times does he use the sentence "i did not know that"...almost every day...it makes me cringe...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think they are shrinking the playlist surreptitiously, they play "Tongue tied" by Grouplove and "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs every day. Not new songs by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kelly-Ann Byrne is quite an encyclopedia of music. She also has a very diverse taste in music. Bear in mind that when she first came to Phantom (R.I.P. !), she presented a show that was largely disco-based. She has a very similar show now on Today FM on Saturday nights.

While this is all very admirable and I am personally most impressed with her knowledge of genres and music from all eras, I do wonder sometimes about how far she is stretching the definition of "Alternative Rock", which is what TXFM is licensed for.

Take tonight. Kelly-Ann played "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. No - it wasn't Carol Dooley with Mellow Moments on Sunshine 106.8!! She followed that up with a very pleasant jazzy piece by Dusty Springfield - "Spooky". Country followed by light jazz! By the way, the next song was pure indie: "Moaning Lisa Smiles" by Wolf Alice! Just before the news, Kelly-Ann went back to the '60s with The Zombies and "She's Not There".... a very pleasant piece of psychedelic pop.

At least Kelly-Ann Byrne is fearless and adventurous and eclectic in what she plays, unlike so many daytime presenters... and her show is all about the music.

However, harking back to the disco scene, Kelly-Ann regularly plays tunes from the '70s. Now, while I like Chic very much, that is not the point. Does anything now go in TXFM, admirable and all as some of the musical choices are?

Advertisement