Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Much preferring Joe on air at the moment. He seems a bit more natural, he's more like to say something that he hasn't been told to say. Beck sounds like she's reading a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I've been tuning in to the show again over the past two months. For what's it worth I think he's doing a more than decent job so credit where credit is due..time to park my previous misgivings about him & move on I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Funny blog by Joe today. I was out of the office for a minute so I missed the start of him talking about it. Am I missing something?
    'Remember Joe?'

A letter from Joe Donnelly, on the arrival of his show today – TXFM Drive.

'Hello, bonjour, ciao, hola, hallo, zdravo, dobar dan, Dia duit, hæ, hej,hei, cześć, olá, ćao, namaste, sawatdee, jambo, pozdravi, Γεια σου, привіт, שלום, مرحبا, こんにちは, , سلام, 你好, Привет….

Remember me? Pleased to announce I will be presenting my show today: TXFM Drive. It’s been a while. Well, 24 hours is all. I wanted to get it right for you/me. I just finished the prep work and playlist there twenty minutes ago and no thanks to Apple and iTunes I’ve loads of banging tunes for you, many of which I first checked out on Spotify.

Part of the DNA of this show has always been the desire to get music to as many people as possible. In the next 24 hours, over a half a billion people are not going to listen to TXFM Drive, should they (probably) choose not to check it out. That is so exciting. People who haven’t heard my show, or weren’t remotely interested, might remain as such. Country fans, hip hop afficionados from east LA, electro poppers from Seoul, Bhangra fans from New Delhi, Highlifers in Accra, might JUST not be tempted to check me out, even for a moment. What a mind blowing, head scratching, 21st century situation. Over 500 million people… that’s a billion ears. And for the people out there who have interest in checking me out, look at it this way: the blood, sweat and tears of some Irish guy is on your FM dial, whether you like it or not.

You’ll have noticed the show is free to listen to. It’s also free to everyone online or through the app. You don’t pay a licence fee for it. To celebrate the 5 and a half month anniversary of my show I’m once again giving it to you, for free, to all the music lovers.

I’m not collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed, because I couldn’t give a bollocks about all that. Radio is still king. If you like TXFM Drive, stay with me for TXFM Drive tomorrow, and the next day. It should be ready soon enough; although I know I’ve said that before.

I hope after listening to my show a few times, you’ll understand why it’s so brilliant. I really went there; it’s a very, very personal show. Apologies if that gets excruciating. Actually, I take that back. No apologies if it gets excruciating. What’s the point in being Joe if you can’t go there?

There is no end to LOVE.

JOE

EDIT: Oh, okay, it's the U2/Apple thing. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I've had TXFM on since around 9:30 and the 'dead air' issue is through the roof today...it's happened so many times today, I've lost count. Very strange.

Have any of you had any luck with the Moz tickets comps today? I've entered them all, but no joy so far! Anyone else planning on buying tickets in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I entered the competition about 30 times :(

I already know it'll be sold out in ten minutes in the morning and I won't get one

I've noticed that dead air thing happening a lot today. Clare Becks Morrissey song went a bit queer, and Cathal was complaining about his computer not playing Primal Scream correctly.

Sort your IT out, mate!

I entered the competition about 30 times :(

I already know it'll be sold out in ten minutes in the morning and I won't get one

I've noticed that dead air thing happening a lot today. Clare Becks Morrissey song went a bit queer, and Cathal was complaining about his computer not playing Primal Scream correctly.

Sort your IT out, mate!

I just entered Kelly-Anne's competition there and didn't win, so it's Ticketmaster in the morning for me! Hope you get sorted with tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Got some in the pre-sale on Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Can't believe Flying Lotus was nearly sneered today, I thought everyone was clamoring for more of that kinda variation - not alt rock every bleeding minute.

room_149 wrote: »
    I've been tuning in to the show again over the past two months. For what's it worth I think he's doing a more than decent job so credit where credit is due..time to park my previous misgivings about him & move on I guess.

I'm really enjoying Joe's show now. He seems to be enjoying it himself too and has settled into it. He also seems like a really decent guy. Although the overplayed songs do wreck my head a bit, I'm overall quite happy to leave TXFM on all day (I always have the radio on in my house when I'm at home). Cathal's show has some good segments as well (e.g. Songclub, and Music Heaven or Hell - which I enjoyed, but he's stopped doing that now). Kelly Anne's show always throws up a few musical surprises. I don't hear Claire too much because that's just not a time of day when I get to listen to the radio.

• Advertisement

Dear Jennifer Ryan and reporter guy, please stop saying that Scotland "emphatically" decided to remain in the UK. a 55%/45% split is far from emphatic in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its the "word of the day"..........

Phantom of old would have been looking to do the future of the Yes movement! #establishment #policestate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Still enjoying this, but I really wish we could get more new guitar music. I like electronic stuff as much of the next fella, but the mix is too skewed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Does Claire Beck ever not have a 'little dance around the studio'?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

She's a hoot, that Claire Beck.

Also, has anybody experienced difficulties with reception from TXFM? My home radio never seems to receive a good signal, and neither does my car, with both having crackly noises most of time or it never tunes in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Liam92 wrote: »

Also, has anybody experienced difficulties with reception from TXFM? My home radio never seems to receive a good signal, and neither does my car, with both having crackly noises most of time or it never tunes in at all.

The transmitter power output that TX isn't as high as other local stations.

Yeah, the reception comes and goes. And I'm well within county Dublin, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Liam92 wrote: »

That'll be Hozier then..................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

That'll be Hozier then..................:p
    :D:D:D:D
    This fellas popularity is lost on me. The kids and mammies love him though. Huge crowd in attendance at his Picnic gig too

• Advertisement

room_149 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D
    This fellas popularity is lost on me. The kids and mammies love him though. Huge crowd in attendance at his Picnic gig too

Is this the level of (alternative) talent we're producing at the moment...not much better than that boyband The Script......pityful...:rolleyes:

The airplay Hozier gets is beyond ridiculous. And that's not exclusive to TXFM. I get that we love to support homegrown heroes but there other acts far more deserving of this near god-like praise being given to a chap that only just this week released an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Anyone notice theyve been advertising a Scala and Kolacny Brothers gig that took place in June for the last week on the breakfast show?

marwelie wrote: »
    Anyone notice theyve been advertising a Scala and Kolacny Brothers gig that took place in June for the last week on the breakfast show?
    Those concerts are actually next year! It seems like tickets are going on sale earlier and earlier these days.

I'm really enjoying Joe the last few weeks. He seems to have relaxed a lot and seems more natural. I like his sense of humour.

Vojera wrote: »
    Those concerts are actually next year! It seems like tickets are going on sale earlier and earlier these days.

I'm really enjoying Joe the last few weeks. He seems to have relaxed a lot and seems more natural. I like his sense of humour.

I like when he puts on an accent or acts out of character. And while he is a bit on the plain side I think that's his charm, played straight and without any of the usual disc jockey cheese.
    I'd like if he was a bit more opinionated though, he seems to hold back or censor himself a lot when he comes out with some really valid points or critcism at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Vojera wrote: »

I realise that now, they dont mention that fact in the ad on the radio though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

marwelie wrote: »
    I realise that now, they dont mention that fact in the ad on the radio though.:o

Kinda obvious though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I still think Joe is a serious lame-o, but his show has improved massively over what it was when he first started on TXFM, and it's far far better than the J&K breakfast show

He seem a lot more relaxed, he does his bits without really seeming to care if it works or not, whereas when he started it seemed to be "Text me!" "Tell me what you think!!" every 15 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Saruwatari wrote: »
    The airplay Hozier gets is beyond ridiculous. And that's not exclusive to TXFM. I get that we love to support homegrown heroes but there other acts far more deserving of this near god-like praise being given to a chap that only just this week released an album.

And Hozier is not the only one. You'd think Arctic Monkeys had only one song the amount of times they play "Snap out of it".

• Advertisement

holton wrote: »
    And Hozier is not the only one. You'd think Arctic Monkeys had only one song the amount of times they play "Snap out of it".

Might as well, all sounds like the same ****e to me.

Advertisement